43 of 52 people found the following review helpful
Ok so far ... Kidde's customer service is definitely not,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Kidde i12040 120V AC Wire-In Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup and Smart Hush (Tools & Home Improvement)I had a house full of Kidde 1275 smoke alarms, and after several malfunctions (including one electrical problem causing it to literally "go up in smoke"), I replaced them with the i12040 ... only because I wanted something that would "drop in" with the current mounting system and wiring. That they did, and I've had no false alarms in the month they've been installed.
Why the 2 stars? Previous to purchasing, I contacted Kidde (via their customer service web page) to ensure the i12040 units had the same mounting system as the old 1275's and to ensure the wiring would be compatible with all the Kidde alarms on the system. Kidde never responded. I found out from a do-it-yourself web forum that these would work fine.
Kidde's customer support is notoriously poor. The old 1275 units were deficient in design and/or manufacture - and Kidde refused to acknowledge this. I won't give high marks to a company that won't respond to customer service issues.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2010 1:05:44 PM PDT
B. A. Maxwell says:
I will backup your claim about Kidde customer service via the web. I wrote to them asking about any other conditions (other than low battery) that would cause my Kidde 1275 to chirp incessantly. I didn't even get an acknowledgement email. Nothing. I too bought an i12040 to replace the failing 1275, and it plugged right in and mounted fine. I got mine at a large, orange-colored home improvement store under the brand name "Code One". Everything in the box, however, is marked "Kidde".
Posted on Nov 15, 2010 4:25:41 PM PST
B. Johnson says:
I too had 8ea of the 1275's (approx. 8 years old), one of which nearly caught on fire! The inside circuit board is burned BLACK from overheating and popping a resistor. It actually got so hot it melted the white buzzer wire to the circuit board and discolored the top of the white housing! I emailed Kidde and got a stonewall of "that is supposed to happen (the crispy burned circuit board)", "its out of warranty", "it was a power spike", "its near the end of it useful life", etc. When I confronted them with the fact that if the unit had encountered a power spike, why are the rest of them okay and it didnt affect anything else in the house....at that point they simply stopped returning my emails. I am shopping for a different system to replace the Kidde CRAP, even if it means rewiring the house for a competitors system! I am turning the detector over to the Consumer Product Safety Commission for further evaluation. Buyer Beware!
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 10:27:00 AM PDT
Good luck with that let me know how that goes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›