4.0 out of 5 stars "Smart" TV is not so Smart-but getting smarter, April 8, 2014
This review is from: LG Electronics 55LB7200 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED TV (Electronics)
This "Smart" TV is not as smart as the literature indicates. This TV will not get Pandora or any other streaming music channel. It does Netflix and Amazon ok but there seems to be no way to get the streaming music channels. I have sent notes to LG asking them how I could add this capability to my LG "Smart" TV and they refuse to answer. I have since bought a Samsung set and it is much "Smarter" than this LG TV and it is about the same price. So, if you are looking for a "Smart" TV, look at the Samsung. It works better, looks better, costs the same, and you will get an answer from Samsung if you have a problem. With LG it looks like once you open the box you are on your own.

The picture quality is okay but you have to fiddle with the settings a little. Out of the box the auto-dimming feature is set too low. When I would turn off the room lights the picture would go very dark. It took a bit of fiddling with the controller to reset this feature to "medium" and that is just right. The only manual you get with the set that would guide you on stuff like this is online and the settings are not totally intuitive. So far I am very disappointed with the performance of this TV and especially so with the lack of help from LG.

After many months LG added Pandora to their available Apps. And the TV is still working good. Hence I raised the rating. I am still not happy about their not answering my notes asking for help over the streaming music business.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2014 6:30:23 AM PDT
Javier A. says:
How is the picture quality?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2014 7:21:21 AM PDT
The picture quality is great but you have to fiddle with the settings a little. Out of the box the auto-dimming feature is set too low. When I would turn off the room lights the picture would go very dark. It took a bit of fiddling with the controller to reset this feature to "medium" and that is just right. The only manual you get with the set that would guide you on stuff like this is online and the settings are not totally intuitive. So far I am very happy with the performance of this TV.

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 11:46:38 AM PDT
Mr.Stocks says:
i was going back and forth between this and the 2014 samsung 55h 6400,. i to purchased mines from amazon.com last friday and i went with the samsung because of the swivel stand, bluetooth and bluetooth remote, and extra hdmi port , I dont plan on mounting this item on a wall at least for now until i know for sure i like it. are the inputs and apps easy to navigate through as stated on youtube and other tech sites?

Also i know this is silly but i was wondering if the tv has any swivel action left to right? just in case the new samsung doesn't work out for me i was curious.

Thanks a lot i appreciate it

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2014 3:03:03 PM PDT
I'm glad you have a good initial impression of this LG. I have the same LG 7200 due for delivery next week. I went back and forth between this set, a soon to be released Panasonic LED, and several Samsung models. LG and Panasonic both use the IPS panels. I already own a 47 inch Panasonic with IPS technology as well as a 46 inch Samsung. I prefer the Panasonic over the Samsung. I also had trouble with the Samsung a few years ago. After battling with Samsung (the warranty had been expired for some time) they finally fixed for free. It turned out that there was a widespread problem in many older Samsung LCDs. And the new Panasonic models haven't been released yet. So it came down to this LG. I'm ready for next week ! I also purchased an extended warranty for this LG through Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2014 5:15:48 PM PDT
If your LG 7200 works as well as mine you will be very happy with it. If the picture doesn't look just wonderful then you need to do a little fiddling with the settings. Mine would get too dark when the room was dark. I figured out how to change that setting and now it is one of the best TV pictures I have seen.

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 8:18:30 PM PDT
ranjana pant says:
Hi Sam, were you able to activate Netflix subscription?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2014 2:39:43 AM PDT
GGobblin says:
Not All Panasonics are IPS Screens. I have one that is and like it. was waiting for the new ones to compare to the LG myself.
May take the dive and try this model. Does it have Plex App?

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 2:39:59 AM PDT
GGobblin says:
May take the dive and try this model. Does it have Plex App?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2014 5:03:57 AM PDT
I was already a subscriber to Netflix. I had to first link my TV to my WiFi. Then I clicked on the Netflix button, entered my email & password, and Netflix came right up. It seems to work much better than the system I used before where I linked to Netflix via my WiFi linked DVD player.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2014 5:30:35 AM PDT
"Not All Panasonics are IPS Screens". Yes,GGobblin's, I knew that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (346 customer reviews)

$1,599.99 $999.00