5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously good, quite sensitive, March 5, 2011
This review is from: NuForce NE700X In-ear Headphones (Electronics)
I've held off on writing a review for my nuforce 700x headphones for about three months. Since then, they've been burning in.

While I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, I listen to a variety of music (vintage rock, indie, hip hop, and jazz). I'm also picky enough about acoustics to build my own guitars.

Pro's:
+ These phones don't really need special treatment. They sound great to anything amped or unamped.
+ They're built quite tough, despite their svelte looks.
+ They are very, very cheap for the quality that you get.
+ Did I mention that they sound *amazing*? notes on below.

Cons:
- I don't like to be a walking billboard for nuforce.
- These headphones are extremely sensitive to the jack. If you have any play in your jack (as in my ipod touch), this can result in an imbalanced sound.
- Buying nuforce products is extremely habit forming. If their moderately priced ne700x is this good, than everything else must be amazing!

Overall, a strong buy.

Subjective listening notes:
Since headphone preference is a subjective thing, I'll try to give my two cents. For a new headphone-phile, the ne-6 and ne7m are amazing for the money. They are like grado's, with a fairly flattering, rich analog sound. But they are too flattering for some recordings. For example, in Vienna Tang's live recording in Yoshi's, it renders her voice like Sarah McLoclan. In reality, her voice is airier, thinner, and occasionally slightly in between notes.

The ne-700x are a different beast. There is a very definite balance between musicality and analytical accuracy that is very rare. These provide the level of detail that my Audio Technica M50s have, but have more musicality. Unlike the ne-6 or the Grado 60, these will definitely point out bad recordings, bad mixings, and performance quirks. With my M50s, you can hear a person cough in the second row of a recording. With my ne-700x, you can hear the conversation being held behind the guy coughing.

This is highly recommended if you have good quality lossless recordings. If you don't (or don't care), you'd probably be ecstatic with the cheaper ne-6.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2011 10:41:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2011 10:44:39 AM PDT
Great review. I have the NE-7M and despite a few minor annoyances, love them. Yet they have not entirely satiated my need for something a bit richer (sound, not financial). I'm not an audiophile so using my own language I'll try to ask your opinion. First of all, my NE-7Ms blow away my OEM iPhone headphones; but for techno/hip-hop/dance (Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow), I would really like to have that TR-808 electro bass reverberate down my spinal column like it would in a car audio system with giant subs. That shock-wave feeling of your body vibrating to the low frequencies. Treble precision and clarity, no muffle or distortion in the midranges. Are these 700xs worth the upgrade from the 7M, or would I be best looking at other models (that perhaps you could recommend?). I listen to a wide range of genres, but usually prefer either electro-house/trance hip hop remixes like Guetta, Benassi, Tiesto, Black Eyed Peas; and classical; and look for richness and the feeling that I'm at the performance. Is that too much to ask from headphones? Thanks in advance for your insights :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 7:15:08 AM PDT
J.S. says:
I'm not an expert on earphones, but this recent article on cnet might interest you. It seems the Thinksound ts02 is a good choice for big bass without sacrificing mids and highs:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 8:40:39 AM PDT
Thanks a bunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 8:46:30 PM PST
Thanks for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 12:45:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 12:46:22 AM PST
Dear Coffee Infusion,

Sorry for the late reply. I returned my nuforce 700x before figuring out that the problem was in my ipod. However, I'll be buying another pair very, very soon.

While the 700x aren't as good at passive isolation (airplane rumble), they are more than adequate for commuting when they're playing music. As I mentioned, the 700x is a fairly flattering headphone...one of their weaknesses is that they tend to make too many things sound good. I'm not sure about Guetta and Benassi, but the Black Eyed Peas and classical should sound amazing. In their own way, they're the polar opposites to the Meelectric A151 (tight, fast, a bit clinical feeling, small soundstage). The 700x is a bit bassy, warm, and has a very nice soundstage.

Since writing this review, I've had to update my profile to "really broke, audiophile wannabe."
I build my own guitars, since I can't really find anything that satisfies me in my price range.
Likewise, I'm incredibly picky with my headphones.

In non audiophile terms, YES I recommend!

note, if you have a good seal, you may wet yourself.

ps. Any tips on a good coffee solution? I've been looking into getting a Bodum or Aeropress.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (226 customer reviews)

Out of stock