4.0 out of 5 stars From the bungee cord thingy to the pull-out light, a solid choice for the Kindle, September 4, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
I ordered this cover because it was the only real game in town at the time. To let you know where I come from with this review... I purchased the 2nd generation Kindle back in March of 2009 with the Amazon cover. Didn't like that one, it actually cracked my mother's Kindle that I purchased shortly thereafter (Amazon replaced it, although it was probably from her opening the wrong side, doesn't matter, this isn't about Amazon great customer service). When that happened, we immediately went looking for a new cover and fell in love with the M-Edge Prodigy with light. Unfortunately, M-Edge isn't offering that for the 3rd generation Kindle, they changed it to have a nylon strap instead of leather and aren't utilizing the hinge technology for the light, which I think is genius and a terrible error on their part. I'm telling you this so you know that I ordered this new Amazon Lighted Cover with a WHOLE LOT of trepidation.

When deciding on the color, I didn't want black (I wanted purple, but Amazon doesn't offer that *boo*hiss*) and the green was backordered slightly, didn't like the other colors so I decided to get the orange. It looked interesting and since I live in Austin, some UT fan would buy it off me if I hated it, I was sure. It came in and it's the perfect burnt orange color. It might be slightly too tan colored, but it's not vibrant orange by any means. A great almost pumpkin pie color actually.

So... what did I think of the cover itself?

I slid the Kindle in there and pulled the light out and... nothing happened. I spent a good 3 to 5 minutes pulling the light out and pushing it back in, looking for a switch, something, anything. I finally gave up and turned the Kindle on and... yeah, the light came on. DUH! It works only if the Kindle is on. This is actually GREAT because I fall asleep reading a good deal and the light will go off when the Kindle goes to sleep after 15 minutes or so. I felt stupid, but at least I didn't call customer service and have them giggle in the background and the stupid lady that can't work the cover, eh?

ANYWAY... the Kindle slides in easily and the light works great. There is no glare at all because the LED lights are directed down the arm of the light so there's no "direct" light hitting the screen, it just flows down. It is brighter in the upper right than in the lower left because of that, but it's more than adequate. The light is NOT adjustable but you shouldn't need to adjust it either. I have found it really is a genius way of handling it.

The case itself is not too thick. In fact when I first picked up the case, I thought I had the wrong one because it looked too slim to have a light in there, but it's there. It is a little hard to pull the light out, but I guess the alternative is having it be too easy, right? I really wish they had included corner straps though. I read laying in bed and I worry it's going to flop open and crack the Kindle. I do realize this is probably unfounded and they fixed that flaw, but because I'm paranoid, I did put two small circles of velcro to the back of the Kindle and the cover so it couldn't accidentally bend the hinge system or crack the case. I'm aware this is insane overkill type stuff, so feel free to snicker... I'll wait... done? Okay, onward...

Now, back to reality... the chance of you opening the Kindle from the wrong side is basically zero. You have to unwrap it using this bungee cord thingy (yes, that's the technical term here, folks). It has a little leather tag on it that says "Amazon Kindle". The tag is a little annoying because I fold the cover back and use the cord to hold it and keep hitting the tag with my hand no matter where I put. I'm thinking of cutting it off. *shrug*

It does, of course, add some weight to the Kindle. The case, with Kindle and velcro circles weighs 15.5 oz on my postal scale. There's been some discussion if this is "too heavy" but I must say that I don't think so. I read with it folded back and the bungee cord thingy wrapped around the back. I have weak hands that keep me from reading hard backs and large paperback books. I think it's more of the force of holding the book open than the weight, so it's not been an issue at all for me. I also read with it propped up somewhere usually.

My favorite part is that with the new slim and sleek design of the Kindle and this slim and sleek cover (with a light, no less!) it really is a great size to grab and go, toss in my purse, in the car or my bedside. My other favorite (it's a tie) is the light. It runs off power from the Kindle itself so I'm never without a light. I don't have to find a battery somewhere when it burns out. Amazon knocked it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. I'm taking off a star just for the few little niggle things I mentioned before. After over a week of use though, this is the cover I'm recommending to friends/family at this time.

Well worth it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2010 3:52:14 PM PDT
Imogen Rose says:
I really enjoyed reading this review, so fun and informative at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 4:21:53 PM PDT
Thanks, Imogen! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really DID feel like a moron when I realized I had to turn the Kindle ON for the light to come ON though. If I had read the instructions (who does that?) or just thought it through, but no... I stood there in the dark bathroom for a few minutes fiddling. Heh.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 8:36:39 AM PDT
well the light DOES glare on the screen...sad to say...my hubby got one w/light and I just got the reg. cover and used my mini bright light...his glared on the screen and a huge bright glare on the top right that he could not adjust whereas mine I could move it wherever I wanted to and use the bright switch or the lighter switch....and I dont have the added weight of the buildin light either....yes he has a light thats right there...but my bright light is something I can work with better and much less glare...he is sending his back ...when amazon comes out with a light you can adust...I'll rethink it...oh and I have had 3 clamp on bright lights for several years...not once have I had to replace any batteries!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 8:45:22 AM PDT
Oz - I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know how it could glare on the screen, it doesn't directly hit the screen. Odd that his is doing that. I've had really good luck with it.

Wow, I have to replace the batteries in my M-Edge e-Luminator2 Booklight about every 2-3 months for my K2. Same with my Kandle LED Book Light.

I guess like anything else, your mileage will vary. As I said, I have no problem with glare and I use the light every night for at least an hour. I like the design and think it's really well done. Sorry your experience hasn't been the same :(

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 1:42:26 PM PDT
Madge says:
I agree with you! Amazon needs to add a pretty shade of purple to their choices. So many people are attracted to PURPLE. A lighter blue would be nice too since the blue offered is a dark grey blue, not as bright as shown but still nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 1:53:04 PM PDT
Madge - you watch, I bought the orange one, so they'll come out with purple before too long... *laughing* I'd like a nice deep royal purple.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 4:20:49 AM PDT
"I did put two small circles of velcro to the back of the Kindle and the cover so it couldn't accidentally bend the hinge system or crack the case. I'm aware this is insane overkill type stuff, so feel free to snicker... I'll wait... done? Okay, onward..."

Actually, that's pretty smart thinking on your part, especially if the Kindle is THAT fragile and prone to cracking when hooked to the cover. I'm seriously considering joining the Tech Side and buying a Kindle, especially now that I know I can read stuff from the Project Gutemberg site.

I enjoyed reading your review! Thanks for taking the time to write it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 4:24:42 AM PDT
@Isaura - I really think it might not be necessary but since we had one crack (my mother opened it from the back, I bet), I'm a little more leery. Having said that, I am not overly careful with my Kindle (nor my Kindle 2). I toss it on the bed or whatever and don't worry about treating it with kid gloves. Granted, I'm not going to slam it on the floor, but I toss it in my purse all the time. It really isn't that fragile :) Oh and Amazon replaced my mother's kindle free of charge that time - awesome!

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 11:46:44 AM PST
C. Cooper says:
Thank you for your reveiw. You were my deciding factor. You are funny and a beautiful breath of fresh air. I got my 17 year old daughter the apple green. It's a Christmas present! I've never ordered anything off the internet and have limited tech abilties. Your review made my decision making easier and I'm at peace now.:-)

My daughter will be so surprised, as she would not even think I would consider buying anythiing tech like and especially off the internet.

Merry Christmas

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 11:58:39 AM PST
Hi C. Cooper! What a nice mom you are! Your daughter will love her kindle and cover. I'm sure you did just fine and she will LOVE the green one. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a kindle and green cover for someone and it's really pretty, a pretty apple greenish color. Gorgeous. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new cover in a few months myself!

Congrats to your daughter! Fun!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (4,739 customer reviews)
 (3,072)