5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Great Company, April 9, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: GAEMS Halo UNSC Vanguard Personal Gaming Environment (Xbox NOT Included) (Accessory)
After dealing with the very friendly customer service at GAEMS, and receiving a new unit to replace the previous one, my review had to change. All of the original praise I gave it, about its concept, design, and function was understated. This unit is top-notch for gaming. The non-reflective screen, excellent speakers (especially for how small they are!) and awesome blue lights (everybody likes fancy lights) really make this an experience.

It should be noted that even though their primary customer service representative changed during the middle of my return with them, there was barely a hiccup in the transition. Russ, their new customer service department lead, is a very helpful person. These guys deserve credit for how great they do.

For circumspection, I have listed the two paragraphs that I originally gave complaint in below. Beneath each one I will provide my new findings with a fully functioning console.

"A small issue to consider is that it is a bit bulky. "But!" you say, "it has a 19 inch TV!" And you are right. but its still wider than the TV needs, and a lot thicker than the TV/Xbox together need. Still, its fine to travel. Also, you can't really control how it leans. It just sits on the bottom of the TV half. I would've thought they could fit some straps or levers on the inside that you could use to position it however you wanted. Again though, not a big deal. Very small inconveniences, and I'm mentioning them more for completeness than any complaint."

Physics hasn't changed. But my understanding of them has. The console is still as big and bulky as when I first thought "this is big and bulky." But, once I put an xbox, controller, cords, power brick, and games into it, then closed it up, I found some respect for it. When packed up its heavier than it looks, and it looks heavy. This thing needs to be big for all your gear.

The tilting is still the closest thing I have to a problem. Mr. Smith's response to my review, however, is correct. I hadn't even known about the kickstand on the bottom of the TV side. It lets you change your angle a bit, and its quite sturdy. A little more adjustment might have been nice, but this unit is pretty packed when you have your stuff in there, so I'm not sure you could put the levers I was originally thinking of inside.

"However, the biggest problem came after getting off the plane. The small hooks that hold your D-rings for your shoulder strap, which are actually a part of the case itself, are, apparently, a bit fragile. They are only just tight enough so that the D-rings don't fall out normally, but so you can push them open to force the D-rings in. In my case, at some point, one of those pieces of plastic got half bent, half torn upward so that it no longer holds the D-ring. I know that a reviewer here also had a similar problem, but in my case, I don't know when it happened. I used the handle (which has a GREAT feel to it) almost the whole time, and only noticed when the shoulder strap started dragging behind me."

After reading Mr. Smith's review below, the first thing I did with the new unit was look at these. I wouldn't have believed 200 lbs rating for those small things, but now, well, I'm a believer. Those things can take some work. Do not worry about using your shoulder strap to carry this, no matter how full it is. Personally I still love the feel of the handle, but this unit can hold under the shoulder strap, no problem.

Again, this is an AWESOME product. I would like to sing more praise over a few more paragraphs, but others have done it a lot better than me before. All I can say is you won't be disappointed. I can't wait to see how GAEMS and the new XBOX work together.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2013 11:14:03 AM PDT
GAEMS says:
Shawn,

I don't know why my response nearly a week ago did not post, but I will try to repeat what I said then. I am sorry your purchase was less than perfect, because we strive to provide the best gaming experience and products possible here at GAEMS, Inc.

We are happy that for the most part you felt the product is awesome. Most of our customers don't really travel, but choose our products for the improved gaming experiences they can have within their own home.

The product is bulkier than a 19" TV because it must be to protect the monitor, speakers, console, power supplies and gear. Many ask us to make it bigger, but that is REALLY bulky. The Vanguard has a kickstand to adjust the viewing angle, many customers don't read the manual to find this out, so hopefully this helps. We wanted to solve this in other ways, but balancing weight, protection, size and quality of workmanship is difficult when trying to keep pricing reasonable. But we will gladly consider your opinion in future iterations.

Your 'fragile" clips for the D ring are tested at more than 200 pounds of force. Considering the Vanguard fully loaded is about 20 pounds this is overkill. Since you saw an issue, we must consider this a manufacture defect that slipped past the QC team. We will gladly replace the unit for you and test it before it leaves the building. We want you to have a 5-star product even if we get a 3-star review. GAEMS wears our QC as a badge of honor with less than 0.5% defect rate overall. Please contact GAEMS Support and have them ask for me.

Sincerely,
John Smith
GAEMS co-founder

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 7:04:00 PM PDT
Shawn says:
Thank you for all your insight and help in this situation!

I have changed much of my previous review and changed my rating of it. You guys deserve it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›