4.0 out of 5 stars Not world-shattering, not bad, just very good, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Integral Life Practice: A 21st-Century Blueprint for Physical Health, Emotional Balance, Mental Clarity, and Spiritual Awakening (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, considering I had low expectations going in. I'm a fan of Wilber but have thought the previous attempts (A theory of everything and A integral vision) at presenting his theory for a broader audience were, frankly, horrible. This book which is basically written by three others writers (closely connected to Wilber) is probably the best introduction to why an integral approach to spirituality is important.
The book breaks down into important aspects of our selves that we can "work" on and explore. None of the content in itself is groundbreaking, if you're familiar with shadow work the section on it simply presents the basic, but it is lucidly written and well organized. The same goes for all the topics: body work, spiritual practices, mind (i.e. Wilber's integral theory)....though I was glad to see a nice section on devotional approaches or an integral theism, something that is often lacking in popular spiritual books.
The impact of the book was its overall scope, when I step back and really take in all the different practices and important aspect of our human life, its inclusive vision is beautiful and penetrating. The overall drift I got from the book: if you're transcending your limitations, be sure not to reject your simple and grounded humanity. If you're primarily working on psychological/physical improvement think about greater possibilities then simply improving your mortal identity.
If you take the book with a grain of salt, which I did, you will probably find a lot of useful and practical information (maybe even a little inspiration).The most annoying part of the book was that some of the language and design remind me of a computer course: technologies, modules, bubble notes: Am I studying for the SAT or what here?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2010 9:58:46 AM PST
D. S. Clark says:
I'm in the middle of this one. I personally found No Boundary to be his best work so far. Easy to read and very elegant in the truths it presents.

As far as the modules and things...isn't this one supposed to be a book for "practice" rather than theory? In that sense I would actually expect a "workbook" type format. I think the sections and modules and bubble notes will make it easier to come back and review when necessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010 2:02:48 AM PST
I agree no boundary is a better book overall, in its insight and readability. I meant this is the best introduction to integral as it now stands (almost thirty years later). As far as most readable and mainstream I'd go with grace and grit then no boundary.

Just because you and maybe others like modules and expect them in workbooks, doesn't mean I can't enjoy disliking them and the whole idea of a workbook.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›