1,800 of 2,011 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Not buying until we get remastered '77, '80', and '83 versions, November 16, 2008
This review is from: Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Theatrical Edition) (DVD)
Memo to George Lucas: I am not buying any more of your movies until you give us the REMASTERED films as they were ORIGINALLY. Han shoots first. Hayden Christiansen's ghost does not appear at the end of ROTJ. The original nub nub Ewok music is put back into the film, and the original Jabba's Palace band music is restored, etc. etc. Get the picture? You can do it, George. And don't tell us that the original negatives for these films no longer exist, because I don't believe you. If you think you are going to keep me buying and rebuying and rebuying the same product over and over and over again, then think again, because I'm not coming along for the ride.

I repeat: As soon as you release the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 versions of the films AS THEY WERE ORIGINALLY - and they MUST be remastered - not grainy laserdisc transfers. Then, and ONLY then, can you have any more of my money.

Just give the fans what they want. Is that too much to ask?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2008 8:31:52 AM PST
I agree! I was almost happy when I saw this set in a store, but then realized it still wasn't the original... I'm praying they'll get back in their right minds soon, because I would really love to have a Star Wars set...just not this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 6:35:34 PM PST
Brian Daube says:
the bonus disc in this collection contains the originals.

Posted on Jan 10, 2009 7:46:18 AM PST
shokwave says:
The originals are there but they are grainy and not formatted for wide screen TVs, they are anamorphic and look even worse when you adjust your TV to fill the width of the screen. It makes me feel like it's 1982/4 again and I'm watching it on our first VCR and this is 2009. It's something I guess, but still, come on Lucas.

Somehow I get the impression he would have rather not made these at all until 1997 or even beyond when the Special Editions came out and the technology was better. But then where would he or Star Wars be? Where would the whole movie and special effects industries be had they not invented so much in 1977?

At least he didn't muddle with the original Indiana Jones movies. Sigh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2009 8:47:24 AM PDT
Hi...so the originals are there but they look like shiit? Is that what you are saying? I just want to be certain that these are the real originals...han does kill Greedo in cold blood? Any help would be great...thanks.

However...after reading all this I will probably pass on them...thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2009 4:33:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2009 4:34:21 PM PDT
M. Buckner says:
Yes. The collection has the latest revisions by Lucas, but the bonus discs include the original films in their unaltered states. No editing, even Episode IV lacks the 'A New Hope' in the title scroll which was added in 81. The bonus disc versions are the original theatrical releases.

Problem is, the transfer is very poor and not well adjusted for widescreen tvs. I mean granted, it's nice that the original unaltered Trilogy is FINALLY on DVD, and unless it gets rereleased with better picture quality in the future it's the only DVD release with the originals, but still, it's a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 10:05:46 AM PDT
Correction: They _aren't_ anamorphic. They would look better if they were anamorphic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2010 11:51:31 PM PDT
Greg Moody says:
"At least he didn't muddle with the original Indiana Jones movies. Sigh."

Please. Don't give him any ideas. We don't need him to ruin anymore movies.

Posted on May 6, 2010 12:19:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2010 12:19:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 1:51:32 PM PDT
I think it's better to watch it as originally introduced: Episode 4, 5, 6, 1, 2 and 3. May the force be with you!

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 11:18:28 AM PDT
100 percent right my friend
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (4,022 customer reviews)
 (2,056)