5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Top 50 Scores Ever Written, December 21, 2009
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: New Moon - The Score (Audio CD)
I don't know what to say... But I'll try anyways. Every so often, a piece of music comes along that's so special... so beautiful and so provocative that it falls into the uppermost echelon of music I call "classic" or even "timeless." A few (of the many) examples are "The Time Machine" by Klaus Badelt "The Empire Strikes Back" by John Williams "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" by Alexandre Desplat and Aaron Zigman and "Braveheart" by James Horner. Well, it's time to add another one to the list... Twilight: New Moon.

Although this score is VERY unlike the superb original by Carter Burwell, it more than manages to hold it's own. Drawing from a rich and passionate well of romantic orchestra, Desplat makes good on creating a gothic soundscape not unlike the life-force of the "Twilight" series itself. The themes presented here of meaty, full of emotion and orchestrated in perfect balance. I'm a film composer and an orchestrator, and nothing in 2009 has inspired me to pay more attention to tone color and harmonic density more than this gem.

What can I say? This music is special... That's all there is to it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2010 4:41:33 PM PST
Top 50 scores of all time??? Which soundtrack were you listening to? I agree with some of your other choices but to say that Desplat's New Moon is among the greatest of all time is way beyond fanciful hyperbole. Desplat's score was boring and uninspired.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 11:09:48 AM PST
Media Lover says:
That's your opinion... and I respect that. I feel the same about your assessment of the original "Twilight" score, so we definitely differ! : )

Have a Good One

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 2:49:25 PM PST
Wuchak says:
I'll have to check this one out if it's that good. A handful of other great scores to add to your list:

Conan the Barbarian
Last of the Mohicans ('92)
Where Eagles Dare
The Last Valley
Conan the Destroyer
Mysterious Island ('61)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 11:30:03 AM PST
Media Lover says:
It's definitely "that good"! I highly recommend checking it out. Thanks for the list of scores to check out, I love "Last of the Mohicans." Great one! I noticed on your profile that you're into composition... If you're interested, I have a website for my compositions:

www.jaredkraft.com

God Bless!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010 10:08:56 PM PST
Wuchak says:
You can check out those other scores on youtube. "Where Eagles Dare" is incredible!

I checked out your website and samples -- wow, that's really good stuff; "Not a Fruit Bat" is potent! You never know who you'll run across on the web, huh? You have a great career to look forward to; continue your diligence and keep the faith, my brother.

And please let me know when the "The Bible and Dinosaurs" documentary is released; I wanna check it out ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 7:29:18 AM PST
Thanks Durrkk!
I really appreciate your comments on the music. (Thanks for taking the time to listen!)

You can watch "Dinosaurs and the Bible" at this link:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2010 6:10:28 PM PDT
Desplat Can't do action music at all. "Blood Sample" and "The Volterra" are laughably bad.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 11:49:43 PM PDT
I hear Desplat is going to do the new Harry Potter movie. Let's see if he arrogantly jettisons his predecessors' works on the series as he did Carter Burwell's work. I had hopes it would be an exciting score but now I better prepare myself for some very mundane music for "Deathly Hallows".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›