Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Euro Truck Sim 2 beats the heck of solitaire!, March 17, 2013
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2 (UPDATED May 6, 2015)

Pros: Fun, Challenging at first, Dozens upon dozens of combinations of truck manufactures/configurations/optional equipment/paint jobs/and BLING, pretty good physics, entertaining for hours at a time if you wish. A very good SIM with game properties to keep it interesting.

Cons: Steering wheel lag almost 1/2 second (annoying but can be anticipated), AI could use some tweaking. (Update: with a powerful video card there is virtually NO LAG in steering. AI has been tweaked and is WAY better)

__- UPDATE May 6, 2015:
This Sim continues to be a favorite and the developers continue to improve the Sim to this day. In the newest update version they have improved the graphics and realism of motion, lighting, shading, sounds, weather and more. The difference between previous updates and the latest as of this writing (1.17.1s) is literally night and day. If you love your Sim you must get the current update! The updates have continued to be free.

An expansion pack to extend the map to more cities was released a while back, and as of May 7, 2015, a new expansion pack called "Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Scandinavia" will be made available for a nominal charge. Hopefully it will be sold here at Amazon, but may be purchased through "STEAM."

Original Reviews continues...:

First off, this is a Long Haul Truck Driving SIMULATOR and not Truck Crashing and Mayhem Causing Simulator. Although your truck will receive various types and degrees of damage which is extremely costly to repair and will effect driving performance and efficiency, the damage does not show up graphically. Body parts don't crush, wheels don't fly off, your chrome stays shiny. But again, it's a driving SIMULATOR, not a Mayhem Simulator.

That said, the operational physics feels as real as you could want in a computer game. Yes, you can crash the truck and you can flip the truck, you can knock other vehicles into a wall by choice or accident, but you really get a feel for what it might be like to be in a spacious comfortable Big Rig cruising down the highways and byways of Europe. And don't let the fact that it is Europe dissuade you from getting this SIM. You could just as well be driving anywhere in the world. It's just a bunch of cities spread out over a vast amount of land with different names than you are used to.

The hardest part is automatically remembering which side of the road to drive on when going from the UK to Europe or visa versa.

The trucks are tricky to drive at first, but soon you will be negotiating turns with trailers like a boss. You can opt out of backing the trailers into their parking spots, but again with perseverance you will feel it is second nature and quite rewarding.

The GAME part of the program has been covered by several reviewers so I won't go so much into that other than to say it adds another dimension to the SIM. You can buy garages which are for sale in just about every city. You can improve and expand the garages (They ain't cheap, neither are the trucks for that matter, or fuel, or tires, or repairs) widening your shipping grip across the UK and Europe. Hire and fire drivers, watch the books, shuffle personnel and more.

Personally, although I don't give my drivers junk to drive, I save the biggest and bestest truck for me. Hey, I'm the owner and I'm the one taking all the risks. I'm providing you a job with which you support your family, buy your houses, marry off your daughters, buy you cars, boats, and jewels. Heck yes I am going to buy whatever I darn well please! And if you don't like it, go work for someone else or you take the risks and start you own company! (Ahem, sorry, I'm back now)

I worked hard for the man at first, but when I could I got my own truck and built my own company and now, and I intend to grow a lot more, but now I am tooling around in a 750HP Volvo FH16 Globe trotter, and believe me, that 750 HP engine will put you ahead and keep you ahead even on the steepest mountain inclines.

I now have 9 trucks in my fleet with 8 other drivers and myself spread out across 3 garages. 2 in western Europe, and one in London. My company is profiting on average 76,000 Euros per month. I am at level 31 and have driven 71,602 km. I have explored 64.91 percent of the map.

It could just be me, but I have driven my truck so much and the feel is so real that now when I get into my real world car, I find myself taking the turns a little wide and I want to shift gears, but I drive an automatic and have actually bumped the stick into neutral trying to shift. Not often, but often enough.

The graphics are highly configurable and you will be able to adjust for the best performance vs detail for your setup. All aspects of the Steering Wheel setup are absolutely necessary to adjust to get the best and safest driving experience. The forced feedback features definitely help to immerse you into the experience. That said, there is about a 1/2 second delay between steering and shifting input and response. That's ok as you can adjust your actions accordingly, but in a crisis, you will overreact and crash. It could be my setup, but I don't notice any delay anywhere close to this on other games.

The company seems to be on top of patches, improvements and updates to the program with 3 since October of 2012. More improvements and expansions are planned, so it's only going to get better.

Well, I'm off. I have a load of fireworks to deliver from Zürich to London and I have a little less than 36 hours to get it done. It's a high value rush order which means big money for me and more bling for my truck.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]