The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Cruddy Linksys Product - The others will see soon enough, December 4, 2008
This review is from: Cisco SD2005 5-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch (Personal Computers)
Real quickly, I'm a network administrator for one of the largest websites in the US, so I'm not clueless when it comes to these devices. Like all the positive reviewers here, I was very happy with this unit when I first bought it. Worked like a charm, fast, cheap - what more could I ask for? Well how about a unit that didn't go belly up due to Linksys cutting corners on parts?

Apparently some versions of the SD2008 and SD2005 had fans, but they have been cut out. Now these little buggers overheat, and when they do, it can cause capacitors to go bad which basically kill it's ability to operate in gigabit mode. In fact, several of my computers (and I've tried all sorts of NICs/computer combos) just repeatedly drop connection in a neverending loop. Nice work Linksys.

I've read on forums that many others have the exact same problem - usually takes months for it to show up. One guy actually tore his apart, and saw the blistered/bulging components that had overheated and replaced them (hope you're handy w/a soldering iron.)

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 20, 2011 2:44:26 PM PDT
Hi Steven, Sorry for the trouble you experienced with our product! We have very high quality standards for our products, and design and engineer our switches according to industry standards. In response to complaints about noise, we developed a fanless design for these switches. To ensure it maintains an optimal operating temperature, correct placement of the switch is important. You can find this information in the Quick Start Guide at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbus/sd2005/quick_start/guide/SD2005_QuickStart.pdf.
Also, we're committed to proactively addressing any problems with our products and encourage you to contact Small Business support at https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport for further investigation into your problem. If the issue can't be resolved, we'll replace the switch if it's within the warranty period.

Diana
Cisco Small Business Team

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2008 3:54:36 AM PST
Maxx says:
can you confirm if you have rev 2.1 or rev 3 devices? The revision number is on the sticker on the bottom of the device. Many thanks.

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 3:43:09 PM PST
I have that exact problem! I checked cables, computers even replaced ethernet cards. Sometimes the computers would just lose connectivity. I finally checked everything with another switch and my equipment was ok, it was that damn sd2005 switch. I'll have to open it and check the cap's like you said.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 8:41:05 AM PST
Yeah, it's the bridge caps, 25 volt / 1000 microfarad. $2.50ea @ Radio shack - not a tough job: though-hole components, dual-ply pcb.

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 9:21:16 AM PDT
M. Brown says:
I've got an SLM2005 that may be going into death throws...it won't connect to my Dell's integrated gigabit NIC but works fine with my HP gigabit dock and two 100Mbps printers. I've got a Linksys gigabit PCI card I'm going to try this week. What are you using in lieu of the SD2005? I'm looking for something that will work off of PoE as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 4:01:00 PM PDT
Thank you for posting an explanation - I am having the same problem with mine. Works at 1 gig. for about 5 minutes, then slows down to 10baseT speeds as it overheats!
Duron, it's not really practical for most users to replace capacitors. Linksys should offer an exchange. This is outrageous. Mine hasn't even lasted 1 year.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 9:42:23 PM PST
Belink says:
Your review is bang-on. I have two of these units and they both failed within 2 years.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on May 20, 2011 2:44:26 PM PDT

Diana
Cisco Small Business Team
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.6 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

$68.99 $58.45