Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Grow With Your Child, August 20, 2013
This review is from: XO 7-inch Kids Tablet XO-780 (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:09 Mins

What a pleasure it is to review the XO Tablet. My daughter has been begging for a children's tablet since forever and she finally got her wish.

WHAT IT COMES WITH

This tablet comes with a silicone case for impact protection. There was a film on the screen, which I took off. I always take those things off because they bother me.

There's a green charging cable and a green USB wall adapter. Normally, I put those away and use one of my many micro USB to USB A cables and my USB hub, but you'll need to save the green cable and use it. Charging works well with any hub or generic cable, but I found that only the green cable works when I need to transfer files to and from the computer. It's a good thing it's green, so I can find it easily.

SETUP

The tablet came to me fully charged. Setup is as easy as turning it on. I was guided through setting up my daughter's profile. I have my own profile, she has hers. After that, it was a simple matter to add my son. It looks like any number of children can be added.

CHILDREN

There are so many child-friendly videos, games, music, already preloaded. Sure, we could go about that ourselves, but this way, it's already vetted. I don't need to worry about viruses and permissions or inappropriate content. There are so many, the kids haven't tried them all, but the ones my nine and twelve year-old children chose to play are all educational.

Parental controls are a little on the light side. They either get internet access or not. There is no filtering of internet content option. We can choose to allow or deny access to individual apps.

We do get to see what our children have been doing on the tablet and it lets us know what it thinks their talent is. This was not easy for me to find. Go to your child's Dream Screen. That's the one that says "I want to be an . . . ." If you're not on that screen, hit the four dots icon on the top right hand corner of the screen. To the left of XO Artist is an obscured circle. (Maybe it's not obscured for everyone.) Touch that. Touch the child's photo to get his Intelligence Assessment.

PARENTS

This tablet will grow with your child until they reach adulthood. Yes, parents can use this, also. The adult section features the standard Android screen with full features. The only downside I found was pressing the home icon brings me to the children's screen. Once there, I need to turn it off and then on to get back to the Android screen. I have to remember not to press the home icon.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

The XO tablet has Wi-Fi access and front and rear cameras. Streaming from YouTube is pretty good.

Photos and videos taken by the camera are not the best, but I suspect the quality is good enough for the kids.

CONS

A few drawbacks I haven't mentioned include switiching from user to user. It doesn't seem possible except to turn the device off and on.

There's no Bluetooth.

Booting up involves pressing the power button for about 5 seconds just to get it on, a long wait. If it's sleeping, it wakes up faster.

The killer for my daughter: Minecraft PE (which I bought and loaded from Amazon) is glitchy.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

This is a good, basic tablet. Once the children are older, they can remove the bright green bumper and use a Kindle Fire sleeve. My children are happy to have this, and so am I.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]