1.0 out of 5 stars Crushing disappointment, October 13, 2004
This review is from: The Quiet Man (Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I will not, as some feel necessary, go over the story/characters/performances of this film. Suffice to say, this is one the most enjoyable films ever made, blarney or not.

Rather, what I would like to briefly comment on is the utterly pathetic transfer of this classic film to DVD. It states quite clearly on the back of the cover that this film has been digitally remastered. I took that to mean both video and audio. WRONG. The picture quality of this DVD is shocking, one of the worst I have ever seen. Believe me when I say this -- the VHS version I purchased in 1991 has a better video clarity than this. At times it's actually difficult to make out the actors features. The company behind this, ARTISAN I believe they are called, should be ashamed. I have a copy of the recently released and remastered CASABLANCA DVD. That film was made in 1942, yet it looks as if it was just made, such is the sharpness of the video. The Quiet Man deserved the same treatment, but didn't get it. Shame on ARTISAN.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2009 4:10:33 AM PST
hear, hear! i was sickened by the quality of the transfer and can only hope that t true remastering is done in the near future.

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 6:59:14 AM PDT
Valentina says:
Geez. This is really disappointing to hear - I love this film so much. Well, thanks for the clear heads up.....

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 8:43:24 AM PST
S. Brooks says:
I totally and completely agee with Ronald Boyd. I was 100% disappointed in the quality of this digitally remastered copy of A Quiet Man. I am asking for a refund.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 7:31:28 PM PDT
I should have read the comments before I ordered the dvd. Digitally remastered my eye. The picture quality is not re mastered at all. The movie is a classic and should have gotten better treatment. Amazon is a disappointment in selling this item as a digitally remastered movie. I paid $10.97 on Fri 3/12/10 and see that the price has dropped to $9.99. Russ K.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 8:22:32 AM PDT
I am in total agreement. The VHS version I own is a hundred times better. Normally the DVD is far superior but Artisan could not have done worse had they gone into the theatre with a camcorder! Yes! It is THAT quality. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Posted on Apr 24, 2010 5:46:10 PM PDT
D says:
I am in total agreement with the above posts.

This is my all-time favorite movie, but this so-called "remaster" is truly pitiful !

....and I say this after two separate purchases years apart.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 7:23:53 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 10:21:11 AM PDT
Ronald Boyd says:
Fred Camfield

What are you talking about, you moron?

What 'foreign made knock-off'???

This is being offered on Amazon and elsewhere as 'Digitally Remastered'.

Before you post comments in future try to engage your obviously tiny brain.

What a half-wit.

RB

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 10:47:34 AM PDT
K. J. Kraal says:
i thought it was just my copy. this is the worst transfer i have ever seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 8:05:44 PM PDT
BigDaddyP says:
You are correct. My VHS is probably 400% better than my DVD copy. Digitally Remastered, yeah right. I have the Collector's Edition DVD and it sucks. Good interviews and commentary, but the video is horrible. Don't even think about playing it on a BluRay player. Ridiculous. I had to make 50 adjustments to my HDTV to get a picture that was actually half way worth watching. I'm hoping if it ever comes out in BluRay that it's done right this time. Otherwise, I'll just go in the back to my old Sony Trinitron and pop in the VHS and enjoy a classic.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,476 customer reviews)
 (1,162)