5.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for the mind - a book to teach you to be free, June 30, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (Hardcover)
I have refrained from writing a review of this book for nearly a year and a half, being content to simply practice what Tolle has expressed so simply - remain in the present moment for that is all we have. After nearly three decades of practicing meditation to become enlightened (some day) I found it disheartening to conclude that I wasn't really getting anywhere, yet I was reluctant to give up the effort. Then Tolle popped into my life like a much needed life preserver, showed me who I really am, and put an end to my thrashing about in self-created whirlpools of despair - when you discover you are the ocean itself the whirlpools peter out in embarrassment.

Don't read this book in order to feed your mind, stroke your ego or validate your beliefs. Read it in order to learn to free yourself from pain and delusion. It is obvious when reading certain reviews that some people are looking to add mind stuff to their inventory and then to demonstrate what a fine mind they have with an erudite and academic rebuff. They will have to remain content with a mind dominated life, always looking for something outside themselves to give validation and meaning. At some point, however, if they are lucky they may tire of that and take the opportunity to practice living in the now. It takes courage to jump into the unknown and discover the freedom and joy in living life moment to moment.

Perhaps you are ripe for this book like I was. Even so it was not always easy to let go of cherished beliefs and practices, but ultimately it is the only thing you can do if you really want freedom. Tolle shows how conditioned we have become in a gentle and easy manner, leading you by the hand all the way to the door of freedom. But it is up to each one of us to open that door. At first you may spend only moments of clock time in the sweetness of the now. If you keep at it you will become more skillful in accessing the now, and you will find yourself dwelling there for extended periods of clock time. And then upon reflection you will realize the peace that is always available - that we ARE peace.

So, are you willing to see what life will be like without a mind and ego to steer your every move, as you have been so conditioned to do all your life? (and if you are, don't worry, you will always have access to the mind and ego). Are you willing to let go of everything and to simply BE and let life unfold naturally? (it will anyway, but not resisting it reveals the peace that underlies all phenomena). If you are you will not find a better guide than Eckhart Tolle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2009 1:50:30 PM PDT
Sunny T says:
This is a beautifully written review. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 8:37:57 PM PST
C. Muirhead says:
Excellent review, glad that after a yr. & a 1/2, U finally decided to go 4 it & write 1! Exceptionally well written. as Sunny T said-thank U!

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 3:43:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2010 3:44:17 PM PDT
NoCAGal says:
TIP: Try using EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) along with your readings. It will help you get where you wish to go much more quickly and with greater understanding. Power of Now is a classic!

Posted on Oct 16, 2010 12:59:09 PM PDT
I just read your review to my wife and have to underscore what others have stated: it is INCREDIBLY well written. Thanks for your insight and perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 1:33:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 8:13:57 PM PDT
NoCAGal said:

To paraphrase Tolle:

If you're truly read for this book then you don't need any more "techniques." In one of his talks, Tolle shared an anecdote about how he was asked to recommend some spiritual classes featured in a brochure offered by a spiritual center. Tolle replied that while he was sure they were all fine, he said that it would be far more effective simply to practice conscious breath awareness, and what's more, he said, it's free. Maybe that's why, as Tolle has pointed out, The Now has been such a big "secret" in plain sight for so many centuries. If more people practiced it, it would be the end of the organized religions and expensive spiritual "retreats" that need more "time" and hence more money. Just the opposite of what Tolle teaches.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 9:36:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2011 9:40:37 AM PST
Joseph Johns says:
Dear customer,

Thank you for the review. It clearly comes from stillness, like the book. I printed it, kept it with me, and it served as an inspiration to me and as an encouragement sometimes when the mind whined its objections and when fear and disorientation arose.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 11:09:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2013 2:38:19 PM PDT
Mark Beronte says:
Sounds to me like your ego is still quite intact. Telling other poor suckers how they are locked into a mind dominated existence, and if they are lucky, they could be just like you. And oh what courage it takes to be you too. The only real benefit of getting rid of the mind, is that you then have an excuse to not see any such glaring contradictions in yourself any longer, and indeed, in whatever you happen to want to believe. Great for being happy as a clam (and as disconnected as one as well), but devastating on whatever culture you find yourself in.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 4:33:19 PM PST
lisarenee62 says:
Wonderful review, I could have never put into words, how you described Eckhart's message! The more I listen to my audio of him the more present and peaceful I become, made it out of the torment too like you discussed as well! Wow what a difference that makes! Self induced suffering is not fun but nice to know we can get out of it a lot faster than it took to get us there! Peace be with you!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 9:17:53 PM PDT
I would like to hear something substantive to counter this beautifully written review, but you just come across as merely angry and facetious, providing nothing to support your judgments. With unintended irony, you prove this reviewer's point by demonstrating a perfect counter-example of someone who is enslaved by mental pain and suffering.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:59:18 AM PDT
lisarenee62 says:
When we become enlightened, letting go of our past pain, and also recognize how much time we spend thinking on the past or future. investing so much of our thinking towards a future (salvation), such as, One day I will make it. I will be successful. When we realize that once we focus on who we really are, letting go of past and future it helps us to let go of alot of the pain, anger and frustration. I am not angry about anything anymore. if I do feel anger, I recognize it as it is and let it go. You are going by a mind based intelectual reasoning in trying to understand this and it cannot be concieved by education or how "smart you are" and even discussing this I am just adding to ego and that was not my intention. S.H Summer. I do hope you find the peace and love that comes with knowing God. closing my responses to this because I am only feeding into what your ego and pain body craves. and bringing out my own. Learning more and more everyday about myself and getting rid of such insanity.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (3,235 customer reviews)
 (2,400)