Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

806 of 1,065 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars I don't know..., January 3, 2014
This review is from: Super Shred: The Big Results Diet: 4 Weeks, 20 Pounds, Lose It Faster! (Hardcover)
Hello everyone, I wanted to make some comments on the advice given by Dr. Smith. Don't just take my word for it, please do your own research. I am not a diet expert like Dr. Smith. I'm just a Marine who decided to get a personal training certification and become a fitness professional. As a result I continue to read books and articles from other experts in the industry. In short, I do my homework.

Let's begin.

1. "Weigh yourself in the morning the day you start the program and make sure you record it."

I personally don't agree with this. I don't even own a scale. I say throw the scale away, and here's why. The scale isn't smart enough to distinguish what's fat, muscle, water, etc. Sure, you might lose a couple of pounds here and there, but some of that might be lean muscle, which you need. I just feel that people should not fixate on some number, true health and fitness should be measured by an individual's actual physical abilities. Then improve on those. As a side effect, you will be healthy.

2. "Do not skip meals. Even if you're not hungry"

I 100% agree with this one. You should NOT be skipping meals, and you should be eating MORE. The reason why this works is because you're going to be loading the body with nutrients that are beneficial in the fat shrinking process. You will be cutting out everything bad. Eat more good, eat less bad. Don't just try to eat less overall. Doesn't matter how little you eat if it's bad for you. It still hurts you, and you deprive the body of much needed nutrients. Especially when you begin exercising. A higher demand on the body deserves better nutrition to help it recover.

3. " All of your shakes and smoothies this week must be 200 calories or less"

Disagree. The calorie was discovered in the 18th century. Kekwick and Pawan proved that no calorie is created equal. They showed what happens when a person consumes 1 type of calorie. I just don't see how incinerating food is equal to the bodies metabolism. I also find it quite confusing when there are so many different definitions for calculating a "calorie." My advice is to forget about calories all together. You should be consuming MORE calories, but nutritional ones. Ones that will help you shrink fat, not gain. Focus more on nutrition labels. The main thing is to avoid sugar like the plague.

4. " Snacks are optional, but highly recommended."

No they are not. If you wish to keep your metabolism running hot all day and working for you then you need to put fire logs in the furnace. You should be consuming healthy snacks such as seeds, nuts, and berries. Please note that Dr. Smith suggests SHRED bars and popcorn as snacks...

5. "Soups are an option, including store- bought soups. But make sure you look at the sodium content: no more than 480 milligrams per serving."

What would happen to me if I did eat more than 480mg of sodium in one sitting? Nothing. I wouldn't gain or lose fat. It's irrelevant.

"In humans, sodium is an essential nutrient that regulates blood volume, blood pressure, osmotic equilibrium and pH; the minimum physiological requirement for sodium is 500 milligrams per day." - wiki

Soups are awesome, make some at home with meats and veggies only. It's the best.

6. " Consume 1 cup of water before every meal."

I agree with this one. I personally go for a gallon of water a day. Highly important to stay hydrated during this entire process. You must be hydrated every single day.

Well it appears that I am low on characters I can post. I won't be able to finish my thoughts on the rest. I hope this sparked some people to dig deeper. I'm just trying to help and save lives. If you like my advice please check out my work at "300 PFT." Thanks!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2014 12:15:45 PM PST
I agree 100%. Great post, and 100% consistent with my own experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 6:20:08 PM PST
RA says:
wrong about the canned soups and sodium. CUT THEM OUT

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 4:42:37 AM PST
That is a very broad statement. Why shouldn't you eat ANY canned soup?

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 9:04:16 AM PST
Too much sodium is bad for you. It has nothing to do with gaining or losing fat. Most people consume way too much sodium on a daily basis. If you don't have high blood pressure, you may be able to get away with this. But for people with high blood pressure, 480mg of sodium is a third of the day's sodium intake.

I agree that homemade soups are a good option.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 6:54:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2014 6:58:01 PM PST
Tricky1 says:
Great review. I will say I agree with your post, while I disagree with many diets that only fail because you have to stick with their diet and if you go off of it then what gain it back? Yes.
I stopped buying all these diet books that seem to come out like diet pills were. Now that people are getting smart that pills do NOT do anything, now all these books are coming out. Follow me, no do not follow them follow my diet, no no fat is bad, no carb is bad, no cut out these fruits and have all the fat you want and eat HIGH protein diet, no low calories is the way, does this sound familiar?
No question that if anyone follow the plans you will lose weight but you will gain weight as soon as you go to a party because not everyone is out there on the same plan as you and if they are on a diet it would be their cheat day.
I also agree with calories, forget about the calories as long they are foods that carry nutritional value, like "fresh" fruit and veggies, ONE SERVING of carbs like brown rice, or couscous etc. and ONE serving of lean meats.
While I agree with your input about the scale, I would only agree if the people are over 200 with more mass of fat than muscle because this does help motivate when you see the scale go down and it is easier to lose weight or at least it was for myself when I did have more fatty, however, when you get down to the weight with higher mass of muscle like myself it only made me more frustrated and left me where I actually went on an emotional rampage and ate chips, cookies, and all the unhealthy processed foods and basically punished my body for weighing more by having higher muscle mass which I am trying to research how to drop pounds when we get to this stage. I read reviews on new "follow this diet book" but have only been more disappointing in the books I have read.
Cameron Diaz The body book is a recent book I have picked up, it is not a diet book but has nutritional advice and I will say that this basic book is surprisingly good but is basic. It is triggered for women audience.
Thanks for your review and reminding me that this is just another follow this diet book...

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:22:26 AM PST
Carolan Ivey says:
Thank you for your thoughtful post! I have a question for you - and this is a question, not a criticism! - do you think women are more sensitive to sodium? From my observation over the years, for men losing weight really is a more a function of calories in/calories out. For women it's more complicated, with our higher fat percentage and fluctuating hormones. We can do everything "right" and the scale doesn't move.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 7:29:36 AM PST
K. Scullion says:
I think that too much sodium also can make you retain water, and therefore not lose the weight or inches, which can be discouraging.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 9:32:16 AM PST
Where can I find 300 PFT? I am very interested in your ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 10:09:10 AM PST
The Liger says:
Thank you! I appreciate the kind comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 10:14:10 AM PST
The Liger says:
You are correct in your statement when you said that people with high blood pressure should be more aware of sodium intake. As humans we are supposed to consume some sodium to regulate our bodies. Per usual, we are consuming far too much. This is one of the reason we have a lot of people running around with hypertension.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›