4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to install, but worth the money if you know what you're doing, December 25, 2010
This review is from: Cheetah Mounts APSAMB 32-65" LCD TV Wall Mount Bracket with Full Motion Swing Out Tilt & Swivel Articulating Arm for Flat Screen Flat Panel LCD LED Plasma TV and Monitor Displays Includes Free 10' Braided High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet (Electronics)
Although I'm not a "Professional" installer, this installation makes the 8th Plasma/LCD wall mount installation I've done over the years. I've often spent over $250+ on previous wall kits and thought after reading the previous customer feedbacks; I would save some money and try something new.

In the past I've almost always bought OmniMount wall mounts, primarily due their ease of installation. This product was NOT easy to install, and had I not had prior experience hanging TV's, this COULD HAVE proven to be a disaster.

For starters, there is no "Template" to assist with hole drilling, not even a listed measurement to show how much space to drill the upper and lower holes. This is something that is standard with OmniMount and something I missed having. Holding the mount on the wall to Pencil or mark the holes can be a chore unless you know EXACTLY where the studs are and you have more than one set of hands. If you have some carpenter skills, you'll be able to measure and mark your spots easier than someone who doesn't.

Second, don't buy this mount if you DON'T have a "specific" place where you want to mount your TV. The main bracket is just over 16" wide and HEAVY. I wouldn't count on this holding a TV unless you're drilled into two studs and using all 4 Lag Bolts. Seeing that most studs are 16" on center, there is no wiggle room to install the bracket left or right. Other mounts I've worked with are about 20" wide to allow for a greater range of installation.

Third, the mounting bolts that came with the kit are only 1.5" long. In my opinion, to properly hold the mount AND TV, I wouldn't go with anything less than 3" bolts, anything less could be a risk.

Forth, the bolts used to mount the brackets to the back of the TV were way to short, especially if you have to use the included spacers. Finding longer bolts was NOT an easy chore as both the size and type of thread are not common. I was fortunate to have extra bolts left over from prior installations, however I still wish I had longer bolts. Neither Home Depot nor Lowes had the right thread type.

Fifth, the brackets that mount to the back of the TV have "pre-drilled" holes on the top, and "oval" type holes in the bottom. The PRO: It's very easy to make sure that the right and left brackets will be installed evenly and there is no need to run a level to make sure the TV will hang correctly. The CON: Because of the design and where cross brackets are installed on the mount, you may have to settle for your TV hanging higher or lower than you originally wanted. I would HIGHLY suggest installing the TV brackets FIRST, so you can find a true center for mounting BEFORE you mark and drill anything on the wall. This is completely opposite of the installation directions that come with the mount. Installers beware for sure.....

Overall this is a very solid product and for the most part I'm happy with the quality. The TV is hung, and with my past install experience, this install went fairly smoothly. I'm quite confident that had this been my first install, I would've had many errors and A LOT of holes to patch. If you're good with a tape measure, know how to find the studs in your wall and have an extra set of hands, this mount will be a good value for the money.

If you've never attempted this type of install before and you think a stud finder is a cougar in a bar, get a professional to help you with this or spend more on a name brand mount.

Suggestions on having a smoother install (some were already listed above)

- Install the left and right TV brackets FIRST. 1) To make sure the brackets will fit your TV. 2) To make sure the bolts are long enough (won't be if you have to use the spacers). 3) To find the true center so you know just how high or low you need to hang the TV. Had I not followed this step, I would have ended up 3" off center and I would've had to patch four rather large holes in the wall.

- When installing the mounts to the back of the TV, make sure you have AT LEAST a half inch screws into the back of the TV. Make sure your thread size matches the bolt that DOES work with your TV to avoid stripping the thread on the inside of the TV.
- Purchase longer Lag Bolts to mount the main mount to the wall (wait till your mount arrives to match the right diameter).

- Remove the bracket that the TV hangs on from the wall mount (four screws covered by black plastic caps) prior to marking and mounting the wall mount. This will reduce some of the weight and will make your install go a little smoother. CAUTION: There are clear NYLON washers that sandwich the plate so be careful when removing the bolts so as not to lose them. Remember the order of the washers as it's designed to allow the TV to swivel along its horizon. When reinstalling these nuts and bolts, it should be tight but not OVER tight. The TV may be level when pushed up against the wall, but due to weight, will become un-level when pulled out... This is common physics and NOT a flaw of the mount and why you will need to tilt the TV to the left or right to maintain a level reading. Over tightening these four bolts won't give you the ability to adjust the balance.

I wish everyone that buys this mount well and I hope that my information will help with your decision as well as to provide a smoother installation!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2010 11:27:16 AM PST
GREAT review, thank you for all of the additional information, tips, and help!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 7:17:36 AM PDT
Great review - and I'll watch out for those cougars..

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 6:38:02 PM PST
Great review! Very helpful!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:46:01 AM PDT
Thank you so much for your thorough review. I also wanted to add that it is MUCH better, when you need special bolts, screws, nuts, or anything of the sort, to go to an actual hardware store (definitely NOT a commercial home improvement store), like Ace Hardware. Real hardware stores are usually unique to the area, though. Ace is the only chain I know of and, in fact, many local stores are affiliated with Ace without actually being one. Anyway, you can find your local store using your online local white or yellow pages. Hardware stores have WAY MORE choices of nuts, bolts, screws, nails; even in being able to find matches to things you already have. I NEVER go to a chain home impovement store for ANYTHING SPECIFIC I need, especially like a special bolt or something (I do a lot of work on cars and not even auto stores have a good selection and often cause me to either have to change out and rethread a whole entire system of things - or, go to a hardware store and get the one thing I need).

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:52:27 AM PDT
GAP says:
As a background and frame of reference I am not a professional installer but I am an above average DIYer having just done a complete kitchen install. A number of the comments in this review are inaccurate. I will agree that if you do not know what you are doing this is not a trivial install. I also agree with the comment about the width of the bracket that attaches to the wall, having it wider would make some installations easier. Just a few points of correction. The mounting screws for my TV were in fact too long, but places like most home improvement box stores, Sears Hardware, Grainger and other hardware stores that carry individual bolts will have suitable mounting screws if the screws provided with the kit are not appropriate. My TV uses M8 screws but the 30 mm length provided was too long even using all of the included spacers. The manual warns you that you will likely need to purchase mounting bolts for the TV if the ones provided do not work. Secondly, there is no need to have 3" lag screws for the studs. Studs are a total of 3.5" in depth, the 2" lag screws provided should make it at least half way into the stud. Since much of the force is pushing down on the lag screws, the length of screws provided with the kit are more than sufficient.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 9:25:51 AM PST
B. Carlson says:
I'm not really sure how one can state "inaccurate" facts when they have no idea of the size or weight of the TV I installed and weren't a part of helping me install mine.....must be someone that likes to hear themselves talk.....
Before someone takes into consideration the "inaccurate" statement, keep in mind that no 2 TV's are alike.
1) It is quite possible that in two years after my post the manufacture decided to include longer bolts. With the TV I purchased 8 years ago, I needed spacers with the brackets and the included bolts were NOT long enough. This is not an "inaccurate" statement but a FACT from two years ago.
2) You stated that the 2" lag screws provided should make it at least half way into the stud... Unless you're going into a unfinished wall, you will lose ½" to ¾" to drywall and another ¼" to accommodate the depth of the bracket. In essence you're really only screwing 1" to 1¼" into the stud. Your TV might be newer and weighs 40lbs less than mine, but I would still be concerned with the weight of the bracket alone. A 3" lag bolt after subtracting drywall and bracket depths will sink in 2" to 2¼" giving you a more secure install. Not an "inaccurate" statement, but simple math. With the weight of the bracket and any TV, you're essentially creating a cantilever scenario with nothing but dead weight pulling down on the lag bolts. 2" lag bolts might work???? However 3" bolts should give you better piece of mind.
I'm glad you're installation went smooth, but think next time before you retort and make insulting remarks on something you had no part of.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›