Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars A step up - especially the camera, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32GB Yellow (5th Generation) (Electronics)
See update at the bottom of this original review.

Many of the professional on-line reviews of this iPod Touch 5th generation were comparing it to the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5. I think most people who buy this one are like me and they are stepping up from a previous version. Here are my notes on comparing the 4th gen to the 5th gen.

I've had an iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 4G, and now a black version of this iPod Touch 5th generation. All of them have been good but I really wanted a decent camera and the 5th gen finally delivered it. I just received my 5th gen about 4 hours ago. Here are my first impressions.

The lightening connector is smaller than I expected. It is only about twice the size of the earphone connector. Having a much smaller opening for power and data transfer is a nice change to the overall design, but of course a pain due to the incompatibility of all the cables in our cars and docking stations around the house.

I really like the more square design of the case vs the rounded back of the iPod Touch 4th gen. I find it easier to grip. Running the 4th gen and 5th gen side by side for almost 4 hours I noticed that the back of the 4th gen is warm but the 5th gen stays cool.

The volume buttons and the power button are much easier to use on the 5th gen because the sides of the case are square so the buttons protrude beyond the case. On the 4th gen the buttons are recessed and I've always found them awkward to use.

The 5th gen is thinner than the 4th gen but only slightly. Thin isn't very important to me but it doesn't hurt. I would not have minded if it was a little thicker if that meant Apple could have fit an 8MP camera in it.

The 5th gen is noticeably lighter than the 4th gen; I do appreciate that a lot. I credit Apple for making a larger device while reducing the weight. I'm not an Apple fan boy but they do deserve to be recognized for this accomplishment. If only Apple would allow more customization they wouldn't lose so many customers to Android.

The 5th gen is quite noticeably faster. Running both the 4th gen and 5th gen side by side there were sometimes seconds of difference when bringing up apps or data. Very nice because I thought the 4th gen was slow.

The WiFi is really fast. I could never get more than 10Mbps on the 4th gen. On the 5th gen I'm using the 5GHz WiFi of my router and running Speed Test I've seen over 30MHz down and 5Mbps up; this is right at the limit of my Charter Internet service. It makes a big difference when loading web pages.

The camera is very nice. Now I finally feel like I can take photos and videos with confidence that they will come out well enough to share. The 4th gen camera was quite poor, resulting in grainy photos. I would not have even purchased the 4th gen if I hadn't dropped the 3rd gen in the lake!

The first photo I took was of my desktop computer case tucked in a dark corner of my computer cabinet. I was pleased when the flash came on automatically. The resulting photo was surprisingly good. I own a DSLR camera but almost everyone who owns one of those large cameras also has a small one to slip in a pocket. I will be retiring my little Sony pocket camera now that the iPod Touch has a decent camera. It has its limits. There is no analog zoom of course, but there are many situations where this camera will do quite a nice job.

The new ear pods fit in my ears nicely and are comfortable for me. The sound is noticeably richer and has more base than the previous Apple earphones.

When comparing the screens of the 4th gen and 5th gen it doesn't take long to appreciate the richer deeper color on the 5th gen. By comparison the 4th gen looks washed out.

I used the 3rd generation for about 2 years, with a case on it from the day I bought it. Strangely the back was quite scratched with very fine marks. I've only had the 4th gen for a few months and the back (again I put a case on day one) looks like new. Looking at the 5th gen it is anodized aluminum which is pretty tough. I am going to try using it without a case, if I see any damage I'll buy a case.

Overall I'm very pleased with the 5th gen and highly recommend it. I keep my iPod Touch in my shirt pocket and use it throughout the day. It is so functional that I long ago retired my laptop. I use the desktop when I want to type something long (like this) or to do things like edit photos. But the Touch serves me quite well for email, news, my all important to-do list, calendar, and I'm a big user of podcasts.

Now that I have connected it to iTunes and loaded all of my music and apps I will no longer have to connect it to iTunes which suits me fine. I'm not a fan of iTunes. I use Downcast for loading fresh podcasts through WiFi so I don't have to connect to the computer.

UPDATE Dec 5, 2012
Now that I've had the Touch 5 for a month I must say I still really like it a lot. The additional speed is always appreciated, both in WiFi speed and CPU speed. Having a decent camera is great too.

I posted a couple of photos showing the iPod Touch 4 and 5 side by side so you can see the image quality. Both have retina displays but the 5 has blacker blacks and richer colors. Watching videos on the 5 gives the image the appearance of depth.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2012 10:41:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 10:43:31 AM PDT
Giuseppe C. says:
How did you ever place a review? Is Amazon privileging a select few owners to review the Touch 5th generation? I've had mine 2 days and see no place for entering a review. The new Touch is so entirely different that it brings some concerns as well as the wow and "fun" factor that Apple's promotion can't get enough of.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:35:39 PM PDT
J. Donaldson says:
Right. I ran up against the same thing. I poked around and found I could post on the yellow version of the iPod Touch 5.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:11:28 PM PDT
Does the camera scratch easily since it sticks out?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 6:58:05 PM PDT
J. Donaldson says:
The camera does protrude but there is a small lip around the edge that should help protect it. I've also read that the outer lens element is made of a very hard material.

It is a little early in the product lifecycle to tell. We will know over time if the lens scratches easily.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:27:09 PM PDT
Ace says:
I want to buy this ipod touch, but i am still hesitant.

Does this ipod touch have gps and can it use google maps?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 8:32:37 PM PDT
J. Donaldson says:
It does not have a GPS. Google maps can be used on the Safari browser but no street view.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:19:21 AM PST
Jess says:
This review was so helpful! Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›