5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art... the best game I've played in my 32 years, August 28, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Journey Collection (Video Game)
Flow is a good game. Flower is a GREAT game. But Journey... Journey is the best game I've played in my life, and I've been playing since the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System in the 1980s. The following review is SPOILER FREE.

It's difficult to put into words what exactly makes Journey so special. As the title implies, it's more of an "experience", and I might even call it a spiritual/digital pilgrimage, as odd as that might sound. I have never before been so captivated while playing a game, so fully immersed, and so interested in what would come next. This accomplishment is even more remarkable when you consider that Journey contains no dialogue (written or spoken), and breaks many of the standard conventions that gaming relies upon.

My recommendation for your first time through is to play it in solitude, in a darkened room, preferably with a good sound system, as the music is phenomenal. On the visual side, an HDTV is a must, and the larger the screen, the better. This is an incredibly immersive experience, and the more you can focus on it, the more you will get out of it. On subsequent playthroughs, it's fun to watch a friend play, and take joy in their reactions to the wonders they experience.

Journey contains an orchestral soundtrack that is breathtaking, and fits the game perfectly. The visuals are equally spellbinding, and they become more and more fantastic as your journey progresses. Photos do no justice to the feelings that Journey's sweeping landscapes will evoke in you.

One of my favorite aspects of Journey is that it can be completed, from start to finish, in a mere two hours. This means that going back and revisiting this incredible experience is relatively easy, even for those of us who are pressed for time between jobs and real world responsibilities. Journey can be played any evening after work, and it's fantastic to revisit its immersive, therapeutic, and breathtaking world. Making this game short was not a mistake, but a stroke of genius. There is no bloat, and every minute spent in the experience is finely tuned to provide maximum enjoyment, emotional stimulation, and thought provocation.

I downloaded each of these games as they were made available on PSN. Therefore, I do not own the physical copy, so I cannot comment on the packaging or the bonus materials. My review is strictly for the content of the games themselves, and I give this collection my highest possible recommendation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2012 8:19:30 PM PDT
Derek Larson says:
You should really try Team Ico games. I recommend Shadow of the Colossus (although you can get the collection and get both Ico and SoC). Great storytelling w/o dialogue (at least, not very much) and an immersive world.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 4:05:13 AM PDT
G. Denick says:
Derek, you are absolutely right. I love Ico and SoC, and I'm really hoping that The Last Guardian will be released within the next couple of years!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 5:24:59 PM PDT
mattack says:
Oh, is the Dec 31, 2012 date a phony date? I thought it had a real release date, and was on GameTrailers TV show?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 6:03:17 PM PDT
G. Denick says:
Amazon uses December 31st as a placeholder for games that have no release date, but are expected to be released at some point during the year in question. I hope it does come out this year, but I've read that it's way behind schedule...

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 4:56:44 AM PDT
C. Pohle says:
"My recommendation for your first time through is to play it in solitude,...."

I agree with everything else you say, but couldn't possibly disagree with the above more, and really think it's a disservice to the people reading this review to tell them to play alone for the first time. Journey is a majestic and wondrous experience alone, but playing with another person it becomes magnificent and magical. The game is really based and shines brightly through the multi-player aspect. People should absolutely, no question, 100% play this with another when it's still new and fresh.

Unless you mean play in solitude in your room (not in game), then I misunderstood and would have to agree. But if that's what you meant it'd probably be wise to alter your review so it's more clear to those who've yet to play it lest it be interpreted wrong. Journey is meant to be experienced with others, and that's a huge part of what makes it such an experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:20:39 AM PDT
C. W. says:
True, playing with another person definitely makes this game more fun. But playing by yourself first gives you a chance to explore and get used to the environments, more so than you could while playing with someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 5:07:19 PM PDT
C. Pohle says:
It doesn't just make it more fun, it turns it into a different experience altogether. If I were playing the game for the first time, I'd want it to be with someone who'd not done it like me and was foreign to the environments. I wouldn't want to know exactly where I needed to go. Experiencing such an awesome, undiscovered world with another and not knowing what to do, where things are, or exactly where to go is the CORE of what makes Journey what it is.

My first play-through with a good partner was on an entirely different level than any I've had alone. The feeling of closeness to a stranger, the sadness at losing their company. These things are crucial aspects to the game. And I wish there were a way to turn back time so I could do it again anew. Anyhow, I've said my peace. To each their own, but to anyone reading this, PLEASE try this the first time through as it was meant to be played.....with another. For they are just as important a part of the Journey as the game is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:38:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 7:40:24 AM PDT
Ico and SoC are my favorite games ever made... and that's having played and loved Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 12:51:41 PM PDT
G. Denick says:
I believe that Journey is a game best experienced when there is not a lot of loud noise going on next to you, or distracting you from the experience. For instance, I would not have wanted my first playthrough of Journey to occur at a rowdy party. You do, of course, meet up with other players while embarked on your Journey, which is great, because you get that sense of camaraderie as you attempt to overcome the insurmountable mountain. It's nice to be able to walk next to somebody, and each of you can help the other by recharging your "scarf energy". Makes you feel less alone on your strange pilgrimage. That is the multiplayer aspect that I believe you were referring to. I didn't mention it, because I don't think it's optional- I think it happens every time, unless if you disconnect your PS3 from the internet service.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:53:45 PM PST
O.P.T. says:
I actually preferred playing it alone! Whenever there was another player with me, I felt pressured to get to the next goal quickly rather than explore and look around at my own pace. I was relieved when they'd finally go on ahead without me lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (349 customer reviews)

$19.99 $17.75
Reviewer

G. Denick
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire