3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfection, but not bad either, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Perfection Unleashed (Book 1 of the Double Helix series) (Kindle Edition)
First, please note that I was given a free copy of this book from the author in hopes of a review. Please also note that I am not reviewing this book with relaxed Self-Published/Indie criteria. As far as I'm concerned, Jade Kerrion is being held to the same standards as Stephen King.

So, okay, there's good and there's bad. But, I have to say, more towards the good.

The Good-
Ms. Kerrion has done something pretty great- she's created a really interesting story. It's not something you've read a thousands times before with different names and locations attached. It is truly a thing in and of itself, and for that I was surprised and delighted.

I think the author had a lot of potential. A lot. She's got great ideas, and when the writing flows, it really flows. You become totally immersed in the story and it is, I hate to use the phrase, but yeah, a page-turner.

For the most part, the writing is really tight. Not a lot of time wasted on things we don't care about. It's mostly clean and concise.

Also, no formatting issues, no typos, no lapses of horrible grammar.

The Bad-
Please note that I said "mostly" regarding the clean and concise writing.

These are moments of clunky writing. The are also some pretty glaring plotholes. Serious "what the heck" moments where I had to backtrack because surely, I must have missed something, only I didn't.

Regarding the star system, 1 to 5 and all of that. I liked it. I had moments of love, but they were tempered by the plotholes and occasional clunkiness, so for me this book is a solid 3 stars.

I am really looking forward to her next book. I have much hope that it will live up to the potential she's in shown in this one. I think that Ms. Kerrion could have an excellent future ahead of her.

ETA - typo

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]