Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV, but Netflix still has issues, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
As with previous Panasonic blu-ray players, this TV flashes a black screen every so often while using the Netflix app. Panasonic knows about this problem and has so for years with their other devices according to the tech support forums and Amazon reviews. I am returning the TV this week for a Sony Bravia. Otherwise this TV is awesome and I'm truly disappointed that I can't keep it. Just too annoying when the screen is flashing black every few minutes. This doesn't happen with any of my other TVs (Sony and Samsung 32" LCDs) even while they are both streaming HD content, so it's a Panasonic problem and needs to be fixed. I anyone can help with a solution I'll be glad to keep this TV and rate it 5 stars, or maybe 4 for the trouble I've been through with it.

Update 4-16-2012: Added two stars as the TV is the best I've found after excessive shopping around. I've gone through 5 TVs and this is the best. We got a PS3 to resolve the Netflix issue for now and even with that awesome machine the combined price is comparable or cheaper than the comparable Sony and Samsung smart TVs. The LG was great in most respects but the picture was not as good. Was NOT impressed with the Samsung - cheap-feeling hardware and lousy software too. The Sony Bravia was good but the menus are blurry and the picture suffers from bright corners ('flashlighting' I guess.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2012 3:21:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 3:27:29 PM PDT
Richard says:
Buy a Sony BHP S390 blu ray player, or a roku box and keep the TV David. This is a fine set. I have last year's E3, and the picture is hard to beat. The Sony or the Roku will give superior Netlflix with 1080p and great sound - better than the TV's Netflix app.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 1:38:51 AM PDT
Btbluesky says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 9:42:42 PM PDT
FYI .... I actually did follow this advice (also given above previously.) I returned the Sony Bravia, re-bought the TC-L47E50 and bought a PS3. The Hulu and Amazon apps work flawlessly on the TV, and we use the PS3 for Netflix. Out of LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic LED Smart TVs, this is the best and we overlooked the Netflix flashing because of it. The menu, start-up speed, price, packaging and of course picture is superior. I'll update my review to 4 stars since I see now that Pansonic is the best TV to buy but still needs to resolve the Netflix issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 4:05:42 AM PDT
Richard says:
Good deal David!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 10:56:17 AM PDT
Hoobie says:
On the contrary. I'm not sure to what "we" you refer, but I do appreciate comments on the Netflix capability. The majority of the time /we/ use a TV is spent streaming Netflix, and I'm looking for a TV that handles that itself to avoid the extra noise, remote control, system complexity, power consumption, startup time, and overall hassle of running Netflix through my PS3. And for that matter, I also want to avoid the extra clutter of keeping extras of those 'other appliances' around to do something the TV does / should do already. While I'm *most* concerned with picture quality, streaming capabilities are also very important.

So, thanks David for your attention to that important topic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 7:18:55 PM PDT
Thanks - I couldn't have said it better. I was pretty sure I wasn't the only one concerned about a major selling point.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 4:02:28 PM PDT
I've had this tv for 10 days now, the black Netflix flashes happened twice within a couple of hours. Maybe Panasonic has released a patch since I downloaded the latest firmware and have not seen the flashes since. I also have the Panasonic 320 slot loading BluRay player, I did not see any flashes when streaming Netflix through the player, but I usually use the TV app to stream and it's been behaving for a whole week now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 7:23:00 PM PDT
Can I ask what your connection speed is? Also, are you using the router? Wireless/wired? I see the flash about once every 5-10 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 8:57:53 PM PDT
Hoobie says:
I went ahead and bought this TV. Overall, I'd say I like the Netflix performance - much easier than going through the PS3. I'd say that I get the flash about every 5 - 10 minutes also. I have the TV conencted via ethernet cable, so it's not a wireless issue. This poor performance is pretty disappointing. However, our internet - through mediacom - SUCKS. I suspect that when we are able to change internet providers, this issue will improve substantially.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:58:55 PM PDT
I agree - using the TV alone is much more convenient and is really the reason I bought the thing in the first place. However when watching something hi-def I can't bear to watch it with the TV app - just too distracting with the flash. I really do like all of the features - just used the Vudu tonight and it's so easy it's almost poetic. Too bad about the Netflix - it really would be a 5-start TV in my mind if it weren't for this sole problem. I'm still working with Panasonic to resolve this. Hopefully I'm not chasing a red herring.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›