Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design, but fairly small for most photographers and not the best design for women, April 3, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Slingshot 102 DSLR Sling Camera Bag (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I pretty much have to agree with other reviews that talk about the small size of this bag. It's definitely quite limited in what it can carry....but it does work for me in some situations. It *does* hold my Canon 40D with Tamron 18-270mm super-zoom attached along with my 540EX flash and a extra 50mm lens, so would be a reasonable bag for me to use on trips when I am not able to bring a selection of lenses with me. I am not a person that can carry much equipment with me in the field due to physical problems, so I really need a bag that is comfortable and can handle at least this amount of equipment. I do wish the interior dividers and velcro had a few more optional placements, you're pretty restricted in how they can be placed.

You'll find many, many interior compartments and stuff hidden away in this bag, including a nice rain cover for the camera on the inside, and for the entire bag on the outside. The tripod holder flap can be tucked inside, as well as the additional waist strap. There almost to me seem to be *too* many compartments. I don't need so many that I end up having to remember where I put what item and unzipping a dozen pockets to find it. But I'm sure a lot of photo geeks love that kind of thing.

While I do love the sling design in terms of it helping to relieve some of the weight that is so problematic for me, I do have to add that it's not the easiest (or most flattering) thing for many women to wear, particularly if you are, umm, well-endowed shall we say. I basically have to either push the strap up in which case it is practically strangling me, or move it slightly down which umm, pushes other things UP. The second strap which is described as a "waist strap" actually comes up creating sort of an X in front, just making the whole thing look even worse (like a huge push-up bra worn on the outside). I'm not sure there's really a good solution to this, but women might want to try one of these in a local camera store to see how much it bothers them before purchasing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2010 7:10:40 PM PDT
Barbrak1 says:
Thank you for a review from a woman's point of view. I have been looking for a good bag, but was afraid of the very thing you had mentioned. I would like more women to mention these things when it comes to backpack or camera bags. I can't find pictures of women using the bags so your important was just great!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010 7:35:07 PM PDT
You're welcome! It's definitely something that the manufacturers don't pay attention to much and one reason you definitely want to try a sling type design out first in the store. I've yet to find one that really works for me, but this one was worse than most.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 12:28:12 PM PDT
Emily says:
I agree with redloch. Thank you so much for a woman's pov!

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 4:20:18 AM PST
Rad5030 says:
Mary Jo, are you bragging or complaining...lol
I got the 202 for my wife who love it...but she can relate to you. Best wishes and thanks again.
The best way she found to solve the problem is for me to carry the bag...lol
The 202 is a great bag, I am going to try the 102 for myself, that way she will have a choice which one is better for me to carry. (I wonder how I will looks lugging both....)

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:08:52 PM PDT
Diana M says:
I wish I had read Mary Jo's review first--I would not have purchased this 102 AW Slingshot bag at all. And yes, I am female and large on top. So this bag is not suitable for women, unless you are nearly flat on top, and it still would probably be uncomfortable. Using the stabilizer strap is just impossible. And that means that it makes my shoulder hurt to carry it very long. That's not good. It does hold two extra lenses--a 18-55 mm and a 28-102mm zoom, plus my Nikon camera with the 55-300 mm mounted on it. It's a good alternative to carrying a purse and camera bag, however I am probably going to have to modify the back myself with a REAL waist level strap that I will have to sew on.

Note that the drawing that comes on the bag tag shows a WAIST STRAP and it even says it's "padded" neither of which is true.

Thanks for the review Mary Jo. I usually read reviews before I buy and this time I didn't. It's an expensive lesson I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 7:15:54 PM PDT
Diana, sorry for your experience, but thanks for adding your comments! I hadn't noticed that "padded waiststrap" in the description but you're right. Neither is true. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 7:18:33 PM PDT
Dustin - ha, well I personally don't have much to brag about in that department. ;-) But even being fairly small, I still find this bag somewhat uncomfortable and as I mentioned, it's just not at all attractive to wear if you need the extra strap for support. I could only imagine how much worse it would be for someone larger than me.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:58:52 PM PDT
Kristle says:
Another woman's point of view here. I found the bag perfectly comfortable and an even placement of the weight. All other camera bags kill my shoulders when I'm lugging them around. Even well endowed ladies should find the straps strategically placed for comfort - at least I did. Everyone's built differently, so I would suggest trying it on in the store before dismissing this life saver.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:47:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2014 6:29:39 PM PDT
Well, as others have commented above, I'm not the only woman to have problems wearing this and to find it uncomfortable. I expect it can have a lot to do with your height and proportions in terms of how the straps lie. And there are different sizes of this style of bag as well that may or may not work better. So that's why I did say that this is a bag that particularly women really need to try on in a store before buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2013 12:39:59 AM PDT
L. Jinkins says:
I SO agree with you. Unfortunately, I didn't see these reviews before spending $75 my dad sent me for my birthday on this bag. I tried it on in the store (Best Buy), but there is NO way to get an accurate feeling for how it pulls on a woman's figure until it is fully loaded with camera gear. I have not had it very long, and am thinking about seeing if Best Buy will let me return it. Otherwise, I am going to see if I can sell it to a guy who won't be bothered by the unfriendly-to-women design. :(
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›