5.0 out of 5 stars Best gluten-free cookbook available, May 20, 2008
This review is from: Easy Gluten-Free Baking (Perfect Paperback)
If you are going to get only one gluten-free book, this is the one. Elizabeth Barbone has created wonderful recipes that taste like the old favorites that you remember before going gluten free. Before I had this book my family would always ask me to bring a gluten-free dish to family events--and I was basically the only one who ate it. Now I bring food from this book, and my family begs me to leave the leftovers with them. I recently brought the Classic Chocolate Cake (which is actually the same as the cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box except gluten-free) to my mother's birthday, and my family raved. My mother went on and on about how it tasted just like her grandmother's chocolate cake--which, of course, was full of gluten.

One thing that I love about these recipes is that they come out every time. The author has tested every recipe 30-40 times before publishing. My one daughter doesn't eat dairy, so I have exchanged coconut milk for regular milk in some recipes and organic palm shortening for butter, and the recipes are still fantastic. There is a wonderful recipe for sugar cookies that actually roll out and taste great. I have made these and brought them to baby showers, birthday parties, and church events, and people always say the same thing to me. The comment on how pretty the cookies are and how great they taste. Many, many people have told me that their experience with iced sugar cookies is that they look great and taste awful--not these cookies--they taste as good as they look!

Although the book is called Easy Gluten-Free Baking, there are also recipes for main dishes like meatloaf and chicken and pizza. Our family favorites from this book are: No-Bake Peanut Butter Balls, Classic Chocolate Cake, Molasses Crackle Cookies, Chocolate Pixies, Rosie's Pumpkin Bread, Applesauce Bread, Snowball Cookies, Pie Crust II, Sugar Cookies, Thin Crust Pizza, Chicken with Apple Cider and Onions, Meatloaf and Cod Cakes.

Update: 2014
The original review was written about the first edition of this cookbook which contained both main dishes as well as baked goods. The current edition only includes baked goods and will not have the recipes I mentioned like meatloaf and cod cakes.

The classic yellow cake recipe in this edition is excellent--it's a true, moist yellow cake. It's new to this edition.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2011 9:27:39 PM PST
Miss Meezer says:
Does this book rely heavily on eggs for back goods? I have allergy to eggs...

Be well, L.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 5:51:03 AM PST
4bears says:
Hi--Sorry for the delay--I just saw this post this week. There are a lot of recipes that contain eggs in this book, but she also has a section on substitutions (flax gel, egg replacer, etc). I haven't tried many with the egg subs since eggs are one of the allergens my kids can actually eat! Have you tried any gluten free books by Carolyn Fenster? While I don't love her recipes as much as Elizabeth Barbone or Annalise Roberts, she has a lot of recipes that are free of the top 8 allergens. Hope this helps!

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 4:26:16 AM PST
Truth Seeker says:
Please look up the dangers of unfermented soy before continuing to give them to your children (or anyone). This article lists the dangers of soy and soy additives:

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 7:49:09 PM PDT
Book lover says:
Are you confusing another cookbook by the same author with this one? I have the book in front of me and there is no meatloaf recipe nor a chicken recipe in her baking cookbook.

I am going to buy this book as I've taken it out of the library and have spent the evening reading it. Elizabeth has good information in it plus most reviews are very positive. I like that it is spiral-bound also making it super easy to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2014 7:37:03 AM PDT
4bears says:
You are correct; this version only includes recipes for baked goods. As you can see, I wrote the review quite a while ago before this edition was available. The original edition of this book has main dishes as well as baked gods. I am going to update my review to reflect that difference. Thanks for letting me know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

5.0 out of 5 stars (3 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist