3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to say...I'm feeling rather let down, June 3, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
I have read where others stated they had problems installing, and crashing issues. I do not doubt them at all, however, I myself did not have those issues. I have been customizing on the game for several hours today (and some late last night when the hubby went to sleep :D) and I haven't crashed yet. No problems saving either (knock on wood)
My game hasn't lagged one time, but I do have a beefed up machine. I only say that to state that there are those of us (seems to be few) that have had no installing or playing issues....I am sorry for those that did! That is so frustrating!

Now....character creation! I am a girl that LOVES to create things. I will spend over an hour creating my sim to get them "just right". I have been disappointed with the character creation system. When you make an adult sim, it doesn't matter what you do...they are going to look well over 40! They also have very hard lines in the face and that under chin fat that you cannot get rid of. My cute girl as a young adult went from adorable to atrocious with one click of a mouse! Most people do NOT age that way, why does my sim have to!
Also, be warned....if you make a character look cute in creation....she/he will look like a walking zombie in the actual game. I was SHOCKED at how different character creation and actual game play differ. I have my graphics turned up on very high in all areas, and I guess it could be a "lighting issue" but I doubt it. Maxis....dark circles and hard lines are NOT ATTRACTIVE!!!!!!!
Veterans of Sims 2 that loved to customize every single detail of your sim will be let down with sims 3. I feel the creation system is limited to a certain degree....in other words, no matter what you do, all of them will be similar looking to each other in one way or another. There just isn't enough free room to customize.
I will say this, I do love how easy it is to change the color or pattern of your clothes. One click of your mouse and you can turn a white top black...or pink and purple polkadots....whatever you want it to be...well whatever is available from Maxis..lol
Ok....now that that is off my chest I can move on....lol

Game play is not that different from Sims 1 and 2. Yes, as others have mentioned you can trait up your sims on a larger scale...in other words, way more customizable. That is awesome! Is your sim a good kisser that will leave every sim breathless with memories that will haunt them forever? Are they a family gal/guy that enjoys hanging around the house or outdoors? You decide! I like that. You can pick 5 traits (there are probably 25 to chose from) and one life time goal. You may be able to add more traits by saving points later...I'm still playing to find out!

Visually, the game looks the same as Sims 2 to me (minus the cartoon looking character), the animations are about the same, nothing amazing jumps out at me. The buildings look good and the seamless neighborhood is nice. Guess what....there is always a but. You can only chose one family to play at a time, and while you play that family....your other ones are continuing to age. You can MISS OUT on your other sims just by freakin playing the game on another character. That is just wrong! (ok maybe I feel that way because I take 15 million hours to create my sims lol)...but I want to SEE them grow old. I have even heard of situations of your other sims moving off on you! Maxis did add an option to turn Aging Off though. You can either have your sims age without you seeing it, or not age at all. I wish they would allow you to turn off aging in other homes while you are playing a sim that you chose to age. Oh well, maybe they will add that later.

I must hit on one major problem to me. CONTENT! OH MY GOOD GRIEF! In the game, you get very few basic furniture, clothes, hairstyles ect.... way way less than what you got with sims 2. The thing that freaked me out was their "point" system. In order to get better content, you have to buy points from Maxis web site using REAL MONEY. Let me give an example. I saw a pretty Set of antique looking furniture they made. It probably comes with 10 new items in the set. It would cost me $20.00 in REAL LIFE CASH to buy just that set! One sec...let me go vomit.....
I mean come on! Greedy bastages! In order to get new items for your game, you better get ready to fork out the big bucks. All I can say is, I hope that the amazing Sims community can come up with some way of creating custom FREE content. If not, I will be sticking to Sims 2!

I am continuing to play, as I do I will give more thoughts on things exp game mechanics ect... though so far nothing much has been that different. I will give more thoughts on that soon!

Honestly if I were about to buy this game....I think I would hold off a bit until it drops in price. As is, it is NOT worth 50 bucks with what you get!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2009 1:44:46 AM PDT
Jennifer says:
I would hate losing my Sims, too! I am so glad that in Sims 2 you can bring them back to life.

Posted on Jun 7, 2009 11:08:38 PM PDT
that really really sucks that you would have to pay for custom content.

Posted on Jun 15, 2009 6:37:55 PM PDT
Wow, I had NO idea about having to pay for additional house items! Between that and the in-game advertising, I'm really, really disappointed in Maxis. I have been excited about this game for over a year, but honestly, I don't think I'm even going to buy it at all now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009 1:09:27 PM PST
The Scout says:
FYI, Maxis and Sims' mastermind Will Wright did not have anything to do with Sims 3, most likely why many find this installment of the series to be unbelievably lackluster.

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 6:20:23 AM PST
L. Lopinto says:
Great review, and I just had to tell you I just loved your usage of the word "bastages". It's such a good word and I wish more people would use it!

I agree on every point you made, 100%.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (994 customer reviews)

$23.99