5.0 out of 5 stars Very good text and graphics - top in its class, August 17, 2012
This review is from: HP ZR2440w 24-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor (Personal Computers)
I bought this HP ZR2440w LED IPS Monitor (Product No. XW477A8) in July 2012, directly from HP for $399. I also considered the 24" Dell U2412M that I already had (and still have) with my other computer, but decided to give ZR2440w a try, although I could have bought the Dell for $100 less on sale at that time. Also, my Windows 7 laptop has an HDMI port (and VGA but no DVI-D) and ZR2440w also has an HDMI input port while Dell U2412M does not. I would have to go from the laptop HDMI to the DVI-D on the Dell monitor (with an adapter or adapter cable) or from VGA to VGA, which is OK but not the best way. ZR2440w also got slightly better reviews for text, contrast, and black color depths. Very few computer monitor reviewers on the Internet comment on text quality, as if nobody reads or writes any more. I like watching pictures and videos on my PC, but I also use it a lot for reading and writing in a web browser, Word, Excel, Outlook email, etc., and text quality is very important to me, especially considering poor text quality on most monitors. I use ZR2440w with an HDMI-to-HDMI cable and U2412M with a DVI-D-to-DVI-D cable, both with Windows 7 computers and dedicated mid-range video cards, so my system setups should not cause any noticeable performance difference between the two monitors.

ZR2440w displays very good/sharp text (even small fonts), and very good contrast, black color depths and color graphics that appear slightly better than on Dell U2412M. HD & BlueRay videos and games also look great on this monitor. HP ZR2440w has digital inputs only (DVI-D, HDMI and Display Port) and no analogue input. Thus, if you have to use an analogue (typically VGA) connection from your PC, you would be better off with Dell U2412M or another monitor that has a VGA input. However, I would not recommend the VGA/analogue connection unless you have to use it. The picture and text quality normally are not as good as with straight digital connections.

I am very picky with the display quality (the most important part of my computer experience), especially with text quality, but also with color depths, so I don't regret spending the extra $$ on this ZR2440w vs. the Dell U2412M (the other top monitor in this class) but some users may not notice enough difference to justify the extra cost. Additional features that I like with ZR2440w are the software that comes with it to adjust the display settings (in addition to the manual buttons) and also to calibrate the display. I have not used the calibration feature of the software because after reducing the brightness to 30% (still bright, with contrast at 80%) the display showed very good black depths and contrast, and the text and graphics look really sharp and deep from the normal reading/viewing distance (I did not want to possibly mess them up with software calibration). The antiglare coating on ZR2440w is good (it lets the display be bright but eliminates noticeable light reflections) and only barely visible with a closer look on white backgrounds where the coating appears much less visible than on my U2412M. I prefer displays with antiglare (no light reflections from the screen) more than glossy displays (light reflections make it more difficult to use), and I don't even notice any anti-reflective coating on this monitor in normal use.

The monitor was easy to setup and has worked well so far. It's sturdy but good looking, slim and light, and uses only about 30W of power when in normal use. Cable management is good in my case. I keep the monitor height all the way down, and the cables are routed through the monitor column and back behind my desk. I like the 1920x1200 resolution, which was a factor in selecting this monitor (U2412M has the same resolution). The viewing angles are good, which is expected from IPS monitors. The 4 USB ports on the monitor work well. I use them for my wireless mouse and keyboard USB receivers and for USB flash drives. The monitor stays cool, thanks to the LED backlight. I could not find any dead/stuck pixel, which is not easy to find with your naked eye anyway (there are more than 2.3 million tiny pixels on the screen).

In conclusion, this is a very good 24" monitor - the best LED (cool and low power consumption) monitor I could find for text and graphics. I was not impressed with the 2 or 3 times more expensive 24" graphic design monitors (their colors looked oversaturated and the text was not as sharp, but they may perform better after professional calibration). I highly recommend this ZR2440w professional monitor - show respect for your eyes (and brain) and don't try to save $100 or so by going with a low quality monitor that you will be using for years. I checked consumer/mainstream type monitors in stores and could not imagine myself using them, especially when you can get this quality monitor at a relatively reasonable price. When someone makes a 24" (or similar size) computer monitor with a retina display or higher pixel resolution/density, I will be living my dream, but for now this ZR2440w is as good as it gets for me. If you are a serious graphic designer you can get a better color gamut (but maybe not better text) on some much more expensive monitors, but for everyone else this monitor should be a top consideration.

Dec. 27, 2013 Update

My first ZR2440w is still as good as described above in my original review. I recently bought a second ZR2440w to use with my Windows 8 computer. Windows 8/8.1 renders text differently than Windows 7, and in some software applications in Windows 8 (and 8.1) the text is not as sharp as in Windows 7. This is a known Windows 8 issue - you can check various online forums for more info. Funny enough, these Windows 8 applications that went backwards in text quality are Microsoft's own applications, like Office 2013 and Internet Explorer 10 and 11. Google Chrome browser, Adobe PDF documents and other applications still display great text in Windows 8 on this monitor, including Windows 8 own system apps. I also swapped the two ZR2440w monitors between my Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers, just to make sure my new ZR2440w is not somehow different, and I got the same outcome. So don't blame this monitor if you see some fuzzy looking text in Windows 8 & 8.1. I actually uninstalled my MS Office 2013 from my Windows 8 computer and installed MS Office 2010 because of this, and the text looks good again in the MS Office programs on this monitor in Windows 8/8.1. I now also use Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1 because of this. Apparently Microsoft optimized the fonts and its own software applications in Windows 8 for use in mobile devices, and left it to us desktop users to figure out how to adapt. But aside from this font issue I actually like Windows 8/8.1. I use it in the desktop mode.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2012 10:40:47 AM PDT
Bandrik says:
Your review came just in time for me. I am looking at either this ZR2440w and the Dell U2412M. They're both very good, so I had a hard time discerning which one I should go with.

Actually, I'll be getting three for a tri-display setup. Due to that high cost, I wanted to make sure that I was getting the "right" monitor for me. While the Dell has a few more "bells and whistles" with its on-screen menu for adjustments, I won't need that as I'll be using a calibration device (Spyder3 Elite).

So in short, I think this is the display for me. Thanks! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 9:51:04 AM PDT
TulseLuper says:
One great feature of the HP vs. Dell for those with VESA mounts (I also have triple monitor stand and this HP) is that the quick-release plate that's on the HP stand is removable, and you can mount it on your monitor stand. That makes setting up and fiddling with monitors on the stand amazingly easy, as you can just pop the panel off without having to change the mount position.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:37:50 AM PST
SueL says:
Thank you for your review, and especially for your comparison of this monitor with the Dell U2412M which I'm also considering at the moment. I have a question for you, since you own both. One reason why I want an IPS monitor is that I hope that it won't have the color shift issues of TN LCD monitors. I do 3D (and 2D) graphics as a hobby and it bothers me that the colors are not consistent vertically on those monitors: they shift in intensity. Is there such an issue with the IPS monitors, and which one is better in this respect: this HP monitor, or the Dell one?

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 12:43:10 PM PDT
cram says:
Awesome review and thanks for bringing up text quality! It's never mentioned...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 11:22:28 PM PST
TMac says:
"...ZR2440w has an HDMI input port (Dell U2412M does not) and my Windows 7 laptop only has VGA and HDMI out but no DVI-D. I would have to go from the laptop HDMI to the DVI-D on the Dell monitor (or from VGA to VGA), ...ZR2440w displays very good/sharp text (even small fonts), and very good contrast, black color depths and color graphics that appear slightly better than on Dell U2412M (I use ZR2440w with HDMI-to-HDMI and U2412M with DVI-D-to-DVI-D, both with Windows 7 computers and dedicated midrange video cards)..."

This is not fully correct.

In short, HDMI is video + Audio and intended for TV, Blueray, and DRM content. DVI-(A, D, I) though 'D' is the standard, is intended for PC's.

PC monitors are generally DVI-D regardless of whether they have HDMI inputs. Only if your monitor has speakers would possibly need HDMI over DVI-D. In fact, most monitors, though they may have an HDMI input, are actually DVI-D internally.

So, for those of you wondering about HDMI v/s DVI-D, for monitors, they are 99% the same. Only if your monitor has speakers will HDMI do anything for you.

Displayport is an upgrade to DVI-D and includes Audio and is intended for PC and a replacement for DVI-D.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 8:01:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2013 8:34:50 AM PST
SciRe says:
I am not sure where in my post I implied otherwise. I must admit that my sentences are sometimes too long, so I should probably re-phrase it to make it more clear. As described in my review, I used HDMI to HDMI only because my laptop has only an HDMI out port (in addition to the analog VGA) and no DVI port, otherwise DVI-D to DVI-D would be just fine. I don't have monitor speakers. I just did not want to insert an additional adapter (or HDMI to DVI-D cable) to connect my laptop HDMI port to the DVI-D port on the monitor. Any difference between good quality straight DVI-D to DVI-D and HDMI to HDMI connections and/or any signal loss in a high-quality HDMI to DVI-D conversion/adapter would be very small compared to the differences in the two monitors. To me, as described in my review, the ZR2440w is a somewhat better PC monitor than the U2412M, and also has the right connection (HDMI) for me. I recently bought a second ZR2440w.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 8:53:28 AM PST
TMac says:
OK. Yes, perhaps wordy and thoughts bleeding into other thoughts. Known for this myself.
Perhaps just a link for a problem solver. Cables Unlimited PCM-2296-06 HDMI to DVI D Cable, 6 feet

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 8:05:57 PM PST
As for the fuzzy looking fonts in Windows 8, check the scaling percentage under 'Display' in Control Panel. If the screen is high resolution it needs to scale up the fonts so they are not too tiny to read. This one though is not that high resolution considering the size. I have a the same monitor connected to my own custom built desktop running Windows 8 and I have this DPI set to 100%.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2013 9:14:13 PM PST
SciRe says:
I use Smaller -100% (default) fonts as well. The text is sharp in all apps/programs except in Office 2013 and Internet Explorer 10, so it's not a Windows or Display setting. I am now using Office 2010 and Chrome browser and the text looks great in them. Online forums have a lot of discussions on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2014 1:12:05 AM PST
cram says:
Regarding text clarity when surfing, have you tried Firefox?

Thanks again for the great review. Because most of my work involved text, I'm now considering this and the Asus PA monitor. Will go with this if there's no mention of text quality display of the Asus.

Been looking for something to push me definitively towards one monitor! So many choices, know? Considering PLS, but can't seem to find a good 24" with no bleed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (52 customer reviews)

$433.74 $300.49