Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Optical; Mediocre Mechanical, July 4, 2011
This review is from: HP 2311x 23-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
For the price, this monitor is a great value. HP list price is $250 (on HP website), but I got it on Amazon for $179 (price fluctuates from day to day). Highlights:

(1) The screen is indeed a matte finish. I dislike the more prevalent glossy screens, which reflect overhead lights. The bezel is a glossy black though. It can pick up stray reflections. I have no idea why glossy black is so fashionable in electronics these days. Well, I'm grateful at least that avocado isn't the color de jour.

(2) Text, still images, and video display sharply and with clean colors. At work, the IT dept recently bought 21" monitors from another brand. Text is jagged. Images and video are washed out.

(3) There is a full range of settings available controlled by four small switches at the bottom front right corner of the display. One switch brings up the main menu with 10 fields. The other three switches allow you to scroll up/down, left/right, and enter. It's a bit tedious, but you don't need to tweak all the settings. I mainly changed the brightness and contrast to suit my taste. There's a reset to factory settings selection in case you mess things up. The unit at work has horrible switches buried under the bezel that take a lot of pressure to activate.

(4) The inputs provided are VGA, DVI, and HDMI. Although this is a 1920 X 1080 display, it's still useful to have a VGA input. You can use it with computers with only VGA outputs and be HD ready when you upgrade your PC. Another reason I chose this unit is because of the HDMI input. My laptop has VGA and HDMI, but not DVI. Many HD monitors on the market have VGA and DVI. You then have to buy an HDMI - DVI adapter. VGA and DVI cables are supplied, but not HDMI.

(5) There are no speakers. But this is a thin profile display, and built-in speakers would probably be pretty bad anyway.

(6) I'm running with WIN 7, 64-bit. No problems.

(7) Mechanically, the unit is mediocre, but on a par with other units in this price range. It's stable sitting on a desktop, but be careful about bumping it. I have a 12 yr old NEC LCD monitor that's built like a tank, but it is only 15", has lower resolution, and cost $800 at the time. LCD panels and control electronics keep dropping in price, but mechanical components generally don't. Mechanical components are less robust than earlier generations to cut costs.

(8) The stand has no vertical adjustment. The bottom of the screen is ~4" above the desktop. If you need to raise it, you can simply stack it on some books or sheets of paper if you don't want to buy an auxiliary stand. [[Note: The display snaps into the base. Once snapped in, you can't remove it. If you think you may need a lower position, don't snap on the base right away, in case you need to make a separate mount.]]

Edit 11/25/2011. In the comments, R. Tadeo has corrected my statement on the mounting of the base. I have confirmed that there is a release button on the front of the base. I was not able to confirm, however, that the base can be removed. After what I considered to be a reasonable amount of wiggling and tugging, I was not able to remove the base. I didn't want to tug any harder, because I was concerned that I would break the unit. R. Tadeo indicated that considerable effort is required to remove the base.

(9) Note that the tilt is very limited. HP spec is 0 to +25 deg (that is, tilts up, but not down). As another reviewer has noted, the picture on the Amazon listing is incorrect. This range is OK for normal desktop viewing, but not OK if you place the monitor on a high shelf or mount it high on the wall.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2011 10:33:30 PM PDT
R. Tadeo says:
the monitor is removable from the stand. theres a button on the front side of the stand. you kinda have to push and pull hard, but it indeed comes off!

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 1:14:40 PM PST
BBmax50 says:
I agree with the other commenter. There IS a release button for the base.

Also, I am not really sure if your number 7 is a review of this product or a comment from Andy Rooney (RIP).
"my EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLAR, FIFTEEN INCH NEC monitor is built a lot more sturdy than this $165, 23 inch monitor".
Gee, I wonder why? Please do not discourage this trend in manufacturing electronics. I would much rather pay less and be more careful with a product than pay more and be able to throw it across the room. We do not need anything sturdier than this monitor for everyday use. And just to add to the point, if it does fall and smash, I can get another one and I am still under 1/2 of what you paid for the NEC.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 7:38:02 AM PST
smgsmc says:
To R. Tadeo: Thank you for the correction. I have added a note to my original review. I found the button, but I was not able to remove the base. You indicated that you have to push and pull hard ... I gave up after a while because I didn't want to take the risk of breaking the unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 7:43:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 7:54:48 AM PST
smgsmc says:
To BBmax50: Your paraphrase of my comment (7) doesn't capture my evaluation accurately. You swapped the order of my wording, added an emphasis that was not present, and omitted the critical conjunction "but". My comment (7) reads: "I have a 12 yr old NEC LCD monitor that's built like a tank, **but** it is only 15", has lower resolution, and cost $800 at the time." (Emphasis added for this comment.) That evaluation is substantially different from your version of what I purportedly wrote.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:35:40 PM PST
R. Tadeo says:

I have a video that would somewhat verify that it is removable. Although mounting it without opening the monitor and drilling holes is impossible, because the monitor includes no mounting holes and the mounting kit that was mentioned in the manual has not been made and HP deleted all references to their mounting kit in their current manuals.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 1:07:13 PM PST
#4 comment is what I am looking for..I have a Dell computer that has an HDMI port in the back of the tower- I need to replace my monitor and have been looking at the HP2011x20inch- know the reviews here are for the 23-I don't think they could be too much different-- anyway I was told by HP tech that I will need to purchase a VGA to HDMI adapter to make the monitor compatible with my Dell ------I have done so much research I am now totally confused as to what kind of adapter-- there are so many- can anyone advise me please...........

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 4:47:45 PM PST
glr says:
The 15 pin VGA connection is perfectly capable of 1920 x 1080 (and higher) resolution. i.e I'm using it right now for 1920 x 1080.

The primary advantages of the HDMI input are that the cabling and connector are smaller and it includes audio. In a speakerless monitor maybe not so much of an advantage.

Just wanted to clarify that 15 pin VGA is not limited to VGA 640 x 480 graphics.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›