5.0 out of 5 stars It sounds great!, November 16, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Ear Force XP500 Programmable Wireless Headset (Video Game)
I've had my XP500 for a little over a week now. So far I'm liking it. This is my first set of real gaming headset ever. I decided on getting this one because it can be used with both the 360 and PS3; technically anything that has an optical digital cable out can be plugged into the back of the unit base. The XP500 is pretty much like the PX5 and MW3 branded Delta, major difference is the color and the a bluetooth adapter is packed with the XP500 for use with 360(no chat cable packed); the PX5 just has the chat cable (BT adapter sold separately), the Delta has both the chat cable and bluetooth adapter. Since the XP500 only has the BT chat adapter I've been bluetoothing it. My friends say they hear me just fine, so no issues there.

The sound is great! Been playing it with MW3(360)and GoW3 (360) while on the PS3 I tried it out with inFamous 2. I didn't realize how much of the sounds I've been missing before I got this. The presets work very well. I must say it doesn't instantly make you an awesome gamer, I still suck at shooting in MW3 but at least I can hear them coming for me and which direction they're coming from.

I still got my HD DVD drive for the 360 and watched Hustle and Flow. The base really hits! I also watched Avatar on Bluray on the PS3 and it sounds great too. I even use this with my 5-disc DVD changer.

I was hesitant at first with picking up a wireless headphones due to it running on the 2.4 bandwidth but it actually wasn't a problem for me. I live in a small studio apartment so space is limited. I thought it would interfere with my wireless router and my home phone, etc. Haven't really had an issue though. I have the base of the unit sitting about 8ft away from the router and I haven't had any major cut out of sound, actually it didn't cut out on me once. I do however hear a small crackle every so often, only for a second. I'm assuming it is because one of my other wireless devices is talking to the router. The crackle is not that much of a problem and doesn't take me out from gaming, but I'd thought I should mention it.

The price was high, but I think it's worth it after trying these out. Believe me I would have returned them in a heartbeat if they cut out on me or if the crackling was really bad or if the BT sucked; 250 is a lot of money. But I'm liking it and keeping it. No buyer's remorse here.

I'll also add that at first it was pinching my head a lot. I wear a 7 5/8 hat size, so yes I have a big head. After a while now it doesn't feel like its pinching me anymore. I guess I got used to them or a period of breaking them in needs to happen. I can sit through an entire movie with them on no problem. The longest I've played with it on is about 4 to 5 hours.

I'll give this a 4.5/5 due to it still using AA batteries. But hey, I'll round it up to 5/5.

*I do recommend getting a optical cable selector switch to use with your devices. It makes switching between consoles/devices easier and you don't have to unplug stuff all the time. The one I have has 4 ins (360/PS3/DVDplayer/Open plugged in) and 2 outs. 1 out goes to my soundbar, the 2nd out goes to my XP500 base unit. I got it on Amazon and it works great and I don't notice any sound degradation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2011 6:16:29 PM PST
lokiperson says:
Do you have the base in clear view of the headset? I had mine setting behind my TV and would have random static and occasional cutouts, so I moved it to where there's nothing between the base and the headset and it seems to have completely cleared up the static.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:07:24 AM PST
Lahjyk says:
I placed the base on a shelf below where the tv is; towards the edge of the shelf closer to me. The shelf system I have is one of those that has the flat screen on a rack and raises it up a few feet above; like it's mounted but not mounted on the wall type.

The base has a clear view of my head set. Mind you, I didn't have any cutouts or hardcore static yet but I do occasionally get some so crackling for a micro second. I really think its because of my other devices talking to the router; my studio apartment is really small. I don't get it that much all the time to where it bothers me for me to decide to return it though. I just thought I'd mention the crackling in the review because I do have them occasionally.

I'm still liking the purchase though. It's the best gaming accessory I've ever purchased.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:36:51 PM PST
i just bought these for $169.99, on cyber-monday.

I'm wondering if these have that annoying "echo" sound when playing in 7.1 surround sound?

Also, when you hear in-game sound that are suppose to be "behind" you, how accurate is that feeling of hearing something behind?

I'm trying to decided if i should just get the DSS2 since i can adjust the speaker angle on that, because i normally have to adjust my laptops sound to lean to the Right speaker for the center channel to not sound like it's on my left.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (233 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $84.99