Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars I should have listened to my brother., October 4, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire One AOD270-1824 10.1-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N2600 Processor, 1GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Starter) Espresso Black (Personal Computers)
I got an "I told you so" from one of my siblings. I needed a small computer for travel to check e-mail, do some work on the road and basically stay connected while away. Simple tasks that shouldn't be complicated. Let me first say the computer (Netbook Aspire One AOD270 1824) came in on time, package well and fulfilled exactly to what was ordered. Another little tidbit of information is I am an expert in computers (Windows PC base, software and hardware). The story goes my brother told me he had issues using netbooks and I should consider purchasing an Ipad instead. Finances is not an issue, I could have purchased an Ipad. Armed with the knowledge of Windows versions in all shapes and forms, his suggestion wasn't given much thought. If anything went wrong I'd fix it. As soon as the package came in I did the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" to Windows Home Premium. I did the memory upgrade to 2 GB. This is where the problem first started. One of the screws was so tight it got cross-threaded. It took me 30 minutes to remove the screw without damaging the unit. Once I completed the upgrade the unit functioned normally for about 24 hours. I was installing Office, Acronis, and Norton (not at the same time) and the computer functioned normally. Before I go on, I updated windows before installing any software. After all the software was installed, I ran Windows update again, because of Office. This was a very long update. Once the updates completed and the computer needed a restart, it never came back to life. The computer wouldn't boot at all. It hung with a black screen and with only the mouse visible. I tried every instance of Windows start-up selections. Safe mode would just not boot. What really messed me up is computers are no longer shipped with start-up disks. I don't have Windows 7 installation files. It took me two days to find a friend with the installation disk, but more work needed to be done to get this process going. Remember Netbooks come with Windows starter. You will not find this anywhere. You need to make a Windows Start up disk that will allow you to choose which version of Windows you would like to install. Anyway that's a different story. I had to reinstall WINDOWS STARTER first and do the upgrade. To sum it up this whole process took 5 days for me to complete. Note also, I do not fix computers for a living, so I do not have all the tools IT Specialist have. It's been about a week since I reloaded, re-configured Windows on this Netbook and its working fine. Although the netbook is working fine my brother stills insists I should have purchased an Ipad. His argument is how many people out there have your working knowledge of computers? I actually tend to believe him.
Just a couple of things about this purchase. I would still recommend this item, but I'm giving it three stars because of what I had to do to get it up and running and the biggest factor is not having an installation disk. Finally if you do purchase the Acer Aspire One AOD270 1824 or similar makes and models you should follow the following.

Install a third party back-up program that will back-up the whole computer including the OS. I suggest Acronis. This software has saved me time, money and a lot of headache. Without skipping a beat I can have my computer back to any state I choose by restoring the image in under 20 minutes. Don't get this confused with the built in Windows system restore. This is important because your system will restore even though your computer will not boot.

Next, periodically do disk images of your computer. REMEMBER this computer does not have a start-up disk again. If you follow these two simple steps you should be fine. Peace Wil

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 1:41:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 1:42:20 PM PST
Lesa Day says:
This was great feedback and helped me greatly. I've been researching the best netbook to purchase and was ooking at this was as it was coming in a nice bundle. BUT after reading your review and not be too technically savvy I'm not sure I'll take the risk. Thank you for taking time to share your thought and feedback on effective steps to take. I really appreciate it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 1:20:23 PM PST
brainwash says:
For others reading this with a dead Acer, there is a much simpler solution. "Flashing the bios" sounds like a deep techy thing, but it is truly easy. The hardest part is finding a 2gb or less flash drive nowadays (hint, look for flash drives made for kids with cute decorations).

Just google "zg5ia32" to find the directions. This is a COMMON problem with Acers so Acer has the files available on their site, but other sites give better directions.

I put off trying this because I thought my Acer (150-1570) was so dead that it couldn't possibly read the flash drive. Well, I was wrong. Apparently even when the machine looks totally dead it will still try to read the flash drive to check for bios updates.

My Acer has run with no trouble and it's been a couple of years since I did the update.

However, the experience has given me a bad taste in my mouth to the extent that now that I'm looking for a new netbook, I won't consider Acers because they must have known about this problem and yet shipped so many defective models which would brick after a while.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›