Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

1,157 of 1,231 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but not for all foods, August 24, 2009
This review is from: Magic Bullet MBR-1701 17-Piece Express Mixing Set (Kitchen)
I received my Magic Bullet set as a gift, after coveting it for quite some time(love that informercial!). After owning it and using it, I still love it, but I did have to adjust my expectations a bit.
It works wonderfully for soft foods. It is great for making dips, sauces, marinades, salad dressings, tapenades... It is great for blending soft foods, for making emulsions, whipping cream... I have made great hummus in my Magic Bullet, as well as chicken salad. You get the idea.
It also makes an EXCELLENT coffee grinder!
What it does not do is work like a normal food processor, in that it cannot process harder foods. Raw vegetables are a no. Also, forget crushing ice! Those mugs that come with the set are a cute idea, but they are useless. You cannot make a frozen drink with the Magic Bullet because all it does is throw the ice around in circles.
So, If you want a real food processor, do not buy this one. If you want a light-weight and small processor that is great for soft foods and liquids (and grinding coffee beans), then you can't go wrong with the Magic Bullet!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2010 4:06:05 AM PST
R. Ziegler says:
I make frozen drinks with my magic bullet every single day - it completely crushes the ice!

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 5:41:24 AM PDT
R. Fuller says:
I love my bullet for making frozen drinks. It does a wonderful job on the ice. Perhaps your not using the right blade?

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 3:36:43 PM PDT
S. Soler says:
I make a frozen breakfast drink every morning for breakfast with the bullet. It is also great for frozen strawberry margaritas. You just have to make sure there is enough liquid for the amount of ice you put in the cup.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 7:34:39 AM PST
Omar Garcia says:
I have the same problem, very disappointed because that is the reason I bought it

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2011 3:49:23 AM PST
feaqs says:
I find using my refrigerator's "crushed ice" option rather than the larger ice cubes...makes for more successful smoothies with less chance of large chunks of ice hidden within the smoothie mix.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 12:18:37 PM PDT
Goldie says:
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the MB. I wanted it primarily for green smoothies, which involve raw veggies. It's a no. I continue my search.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 7:35:34 PM PDT
I make a "chocolate mint frozen coffee" almost every's so good and about 130 calories. I put about 3-4 cubes of ice and it chops that ice up completely!
Here's my recipe:
1tsp instant coffee
1tsp chocolate
2tbls malted milk
1 tbls dried skim milk
2 tbls vanilla flavored cream substitute
3 tsp sugar
(add 1/4 cup hot water to the above and stir until blended)
Add 2 small mint York patties, 7 ounces of water and 3-4 ice cubes. Blend until the ice stops crunching with the Magic bullet cross blade. Top with whipped cream. You can decrease calories by subbing Splenda, fat free whipped cream, and hard peppermint instead of York patties. Very good!! Great by the pool!

Posted on May 23, 2011 7:17:27 PM PDT
Marv Farmin says:
I'm confused as to how you claim this can grind coffee beans but cannot chop raw veggies. Last time I checked, coffee beans were a lot harder than carrots.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 11:36:02 AM PDT
K. Hou says:
I just tried making a frozen drink using ice cubes, and it worked just fine. I used the pulsing technique, and it managed to puree all of the ice pretty easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 3:46:52 AM PDT
EC says:
Here is the problem.Te grinder blade is small and all the way at the bottom. without enough liquid, the veggies will not move around. I create a fruit smoothie with mine daily, but I have to add liquid juices and shake it up a couple of times during the process to make sure it mixes.There are better products available today.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›