1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable; has to be power-cycled frequently, January 23, 2010
This review is from: NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless Router (WNR1000-100NAS (G54/N150)) (Personal Computers)
While it seemed to work well at first, the router persistently gets into a state where it won't give out DHCP addresses. Any devices I have that use static addresses seem to work fine and it maintains its wireless network and WAN connection, but anything that gets its address via DHCP is off the network.

This can happen any time from a few hours to a few days after it's been powered up. Every time this happens I have to reset the router to get it to work again for my DHCP devices. And yes, I have the latest firmware for this router (as of January 23, 2010).

I'd return the router whence it came, but I ignored my own good habits and threw the box away right after I bought it. It's now sitting on my basement shelf waiting for salvation, but at this point I'm not too confident about it. A little Google work will find similar complaints by other users, and this has been going on for a while.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2010 4:42:09 AM PDT
DJA says:
I had a Netgear G router a few years ago and it did the same thing.

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 5:42:27 AM PDT
Donna says:
I have the same problem with my Linksys. Which router will not drop DHCP?

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 6:22:05 AM PST
C. Barney says:
Thank you for your review. I've had this router for about a year now, and had not experienced any problems until I tried to connect my tv wirelessly. I came back to the product page initially to check if there was a discussion thread that might be helpful, but I stopped to read a few of the reviews. After seeing yours, I simply turned the router off for the night and this morning it worked perfectly! Thank you!!

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:14:07 PM PST
Interestingly enough, a while back I had filed a service request with Netgear about the issue. They suggested I re-upgrade the router with the latest firmware, despite the fact that I had already at that same version. Lo-and-behold the router is now working reliably. Go figure!

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 6:11:34 PM PDT
While I don't know enough to confidently state it has to do with the DHCP, etc. I do know that since I got this router from Comcast to replace my old router that finally died, I have had great wired connectivity to my desktops, but my wireless devices (iPad, iPhone, Laptops, etc.) have ALL had awful speeds. Whereas I get 35-40 Mbps (and am only rated for 20Mbps) on my wired devices, I get anywhere from .66 to 10Mbps on my wireless devices. Also, every couple of hours my wireless devices tell me they have lost connection. I have to go into the settings and selected my network again (sometimes it looks like it is connected still, so I am not sure what to make of it). For the first three months, if I reset the router it would boost my speeds for 2 or 3 days. Now, however, that doesn't even seem to help. Suffice it to say it is frustrating. My previous router had no problems until it started to die. I just went ahead and order a new one. I wish the free one from Comcast worked for me, but hopefully this new one will. Good to know it's not just me.

FTR, I LOVE my Comcast speed and service otherwise.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 6:11:35 PM PDT

FTR, I LOVE my Comcast speed and service otherwise.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 10:05:15 PM PDT
Have you tried changing the lease time. Your ip might keep changing if it's low which will kick you off

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 4:29:25 PM PST
Li P says:
I've had this same router for at least 6 years but I agree, over these years I've had to reset my whole internet hardware system due to this router. This past year I've dealt with the BS of having to go through the whole setup pocess which includes unplugging my modem and everything attached to the router just to start the set up process over again to get it back to work. The past few days I'm having a problem that my computer is telling me I have no DNS. So I have to try to figure out if it's this router pulling one of it's fits again or if I have a real problem with my internet. I'm pretty sick of this and am looking for a linksys this time. Netgear has no support unless you're willing to pay them a ton of money to talk to them. Only sleazy companies do that.

Posted on May 18, 2014 6:38:37 PM PDT
I find that every good router has a lot of people complaining about it. There apparently are "bad batches" of every brand of router. And there are bad firmware revisions or bad firmware installs for every router.

If I decide to buy this router, I will first disable any automatic updating before connecting my internet connection up. I will test the router with the factory installed firmware and if everything works a-ok with that, then I won't update. I been into computers for over 30 years, and I learned from experience that updating is foolish if everything is working fine in the current version. After the first few revisions of a product, most bugs that they find are rare ones, that won't happen to you except in very rare situations. It is a bad mistake to install every update, and doing so, usually causes you more problems then it fixes. In other words, the newest firmware may have more bugs in it, then what it fixes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2014 10:25:02 PM PDT
I got mine with a broken antani did not work with my wire less so ship it back . It looked like it was used very old.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›