4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the Price, July 23, 2009
This review is from: Zeikos ZE-WA37S 37mm 0.45X Wide Angle Lens (Electronics)
Length:: 0:30 Mins

I agree with A. Abram's review. The wide angle lens has a very good build quality and blends well with my Canon Vixia HF200. Pretty much everything in his review is spot on. However, there are a couple things that are somewhat disappointing.

The vignetting in close range means this lens really can't be used for semi-pro work. The strange thing is that on the HF200 you can't even tell that vignetting is occurring until the video is transferred into an editing program. A little zoom will make it disappear. But that is where the biggest problem comes into being. This lens is advertised as a .45x wide angle but with the macro on it is really more of a .8x. If you zoom in much you will lose the entire benefit of a wide angle lens. The cure is worse than the disease.

The detachable macro is a great addition. I'm not really into photography but I can see where this may come in useful every once in a while. Just taking some pictures of a dime were NOTICEABLY better with the macro on. No matter how much I zoomed in without the macro I couldn't get as close or as much detail as with the macro on.

Six 37mm adapters come with this lens (25, 27, 28, 30, 30.5, 34mm). Unfortunately no adapter comes with the lens that makes the wide angle lens (without the macro) fit on 37mm threads. This would add so much more versatility to the lens in situations that require a fisheye view. I give an example in the video and you can see at least another foot of view is added.

When considering buying these ask yourself how much you're going to use them. For $17 these offer almost the same performance as the official canon WA lens at 1/10 of the price. The only problem with performance is when using high levels of zoom (blurred). However, on youtube there are reviews of raynox's .45 wide angle lens that show a noticeable improvement over this lens. At only $30 I'm kicking myself in the pants for not buying it.

(I bought this with the 2.5x telephoto lens from Zeikos and that is worthless while filming. It barely adds to my camera's optical zoom while adding very noticeable distortions.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2011 2:47:34 PM PDT
Just bought these on ebay, paid more than most, and I am finding my HD camera pretty much works better without them. The telephoto was really what I wanted and as the last review said, barely adds zoom (perhaps 10% more, if u dont zoom), but for the trade off of far less than HD quality, why would u use this thing? The wide angle also had some foggy distortion on the edges, but might be useable. The macro lens was ok, it did zoom in a small area better than the handycam did, but it would only focus clearly on a tiny spot, and it too fogged around the rest of the frame. I have a fujifilm digital camera with a supermacro thats way better than this lens and that camera is four years old and noy HD! I see Sony makes "smiliar" lens that are about 10 times as much, but I bet they do the job you EXPECTED these junk lens to do. Not worth 15 dollars, not worth 15 cents, in my opinion.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 10:55:57 PM PDT
M. Yee says:
Clarification, are you using this on the Canon Vixia HF S200 or the HF200? I have the HF S200 and am considering this lens, but I'm not sure if it's compatible. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 2:54:01 PM PDT
I am using the HF200. I'm sorry that I cannot help you with regard to the HF S200.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 9:08:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 9:17:06 PM PDT
Hey I just purchased this lens and I'm pretty happy with it, just one question what's the thread size on this lens? I really want to buy a lens hood for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 11:08:42 PM PDT
I don't know the exact specification.

The outer thread measures ~47mm. Something close to that should work.

Hope that helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (197 customer reviews)

$39.99