5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BABY SLEEP BOOK ON THE MARKET, June 4, 2001
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Paperback)
This was an excellent book - I cannot tell you how much this book helped our sleepless, colicky infant. But, several friends with non-colicky babies actually recommended this for any infant. This book is a wonderful middle ground for those parents who do not want a severe schedule (BABYWISE) or the opposite end of the spectrum, attachment parenting (Dr. Sears). It was the only book that I found that spoke knowledgeably about colic, and gave the only helpful advice available on the subject (believe me, we tried it all). It is not a cry-it-out book, although some may look at it in that light. What it teaches you is this: 1. watch your child. 2. put him/her down to sleep when you first see the signs of tiredness 3. most children under 6 months do not stay awake for longer than 2-3 hours at a time without needing a nap. 4. DO NOT just put your child down to nap when you feel like it - that's just letting him/her cry, not TEACHING them to sleep. 5. Most children need to go to sleep at night earlier than you'd think. 6. Going to bed earlier promotes later sleeping (weird, but true. As the author says, it's not logical. It's biological - sleep promotes sleep) There's a lot more too. I really like that the author's data is based on studies that he has done involving the patterns of children who naturally sleep and nap well. No, it didn't give us a perfect baby. We happen to have a very sensitive high strung girlie, who also power-naps. But we went from a cranky post-colicky baby who took no naps or 15-20min naps and got up many times per night to a sweet smiling girl who now takes 3 45min-1 hour naps per day and sleeps from 6pm-7am (waking 2 times to nurse). Oh yes. The nursing. She used to think that nursing was the only way to get to sleep. After diligently following the advice in this book, she now can get to sleep on her own, no nursing. Not that it's perfect - she still cries 5-15 minutes at times before naps. But she is sooooooo much happier now. Gotta think something's working.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2009 12:04:44 PM PST
Kreestan says:
I feel like this is a good abridged version of the book. All the sleep books out there are directly contradictory with each other. This one does have some good points, though the first section of the book is mostly statistics. The above reviewer covered the important parts of the book for you in one paragraph. Now you don't even need to read it, which is good if you're as sleep deprived as most new parents, myself included.

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 10:50:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2009 10:50:44 AM PDT
A. Pelkey says:
Our experience was the same. Similar baby, similar results! This book can be a God-send for parents of colicky or post-colicky babies. It provided my husband and I with the confidence to take control of our son's sleep problems and satisfy his very real biological need for sleep at certain times. Now my husband and I have more free time at night, I have more free time during the day, our son is happier and more alert when he's awake, and did I mention we have our bed to ourselves again?

Posted on Jun 24, 2009 8:59:31 AM PDT
B. Eckert says:
We had the same experience. After six months of a zombie-like existence with our first, this was recommended by one of my customers who saw how haggard I had become. We've had two since who we started on the program since birth and had zero sleep issues. We're all much happier because of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2009 10:46:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2009 10:47:04 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 11:52:42 AM PDT
K.A.M. says:
Don't have babies then, it comes with the territory.

She didn't say she let the baby CIO... my babe will cry 10-15 mins before falling asleep and is snuggled next to me in bed or in my arms the whole time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2009 1:07:16 PM PST
A. Knight says:
crying for 5-15 mins is nothing. what are you going to do when your child leaves to go to school. are you going to stay with them or not send them. children have to learn and as parent's are jobs aren't always easy, we just do what we each thinks is best for our child.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:48:36 PM PDT
C. Wray says:
I bought this book after similar reviews and regret it! The sleep info and some of the tips are good- like watching for sleepy signs, etc. However, saying that this is not a CIO book is not accurate. The author's recommended method is "extinction"- where you put the baby down at night and let them cry for an unlimited amount of time. For naps, he limits the crying to an hour. At least Ferber does it in increments!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 3:38:25 PM PDT
lissa says:
Sounds like a really harsh CIO book to me! thanks, because I was considering getting it. Now I will not, as I really do not believe in the CIO method.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 5:58:23 PM PDT
Johnny says:
Wonderful review! I feel the same way - it really is a middle ground book, and it lets you pick the methods you want to put them down for sleep times. I've used it with 3 kiddos in a row now, and I highly recommend this book!

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 9:05:51 AM PST
For clarification purpose, 'On becoming Babywise' is NOT a severe schedule book; in fact, Babywise puts the parent in charge of the feeding schedule by balancing a demanding baby and a schedule. Our 7 week old has been conditioned on the Babywise principle and sleeps 7-9 hours a night. We came to this book on recommendation because we're still having trouble putting him down for naps in the afternoon. After reading the comments, I'm not sure if this book would be good for that, as it sound like it's just a let him CIO until he falls asleep.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (2,019 customer reviews)
 (1,317)