Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

2.0 out of 5 stars What A Waste Of Time And Money, November 14, 2010
This review is from: I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections (Hardcover)
I love Nora Ephron: her books, her screenplays, her essays. But, boy, did she snooker me into this one. I purchased it for my Kindle and inhaled it in under an hour. I got to the end and said "huh?" to myself ( "huh?" as in, is that all there is?)

Yeah, there were a few bon mots, a few chuckles, but not much of substance (even humorous substance). I wish I'd gone to my local bookstore and curled up in an easy chair with a latte and a copy of this book: I could have polished it off around the same time I finished my latte.

What's sad is that Ephron could offer us -- her sixty-ish female cohorts -- so much more. More depth, more reality, more humanity; along with the humor and the brittle witticisms. Save your money on this one: go to your local bookstore and enjoy that latte for a third of the price of the book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2010 2:03:55 PM PST
Silvermatter says:
I totally agree this book is a waste of time. The first two chapters were entertaining however remaining chapters were off topic and a huge disappointment. And please keep your political views on hold. I bought this for reflection not Ms Ephron's opinion of Thomas Friedman. Hindsight is 20-20 to all Ms Ephron. I wouldn't waste good latte time on this book.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 3:55:31 PM PST
Um, FYI it is a called bookstore for a reason - not a library. These stores are going out of business because many people are reading without buying, I've seen people turn down pages so the next day, they can pick it right back up. They are paying for lights, rent, water, employees, benefits, liability insurance when your neighbor spills his coffee and doesn't bother to wipe it up.

I encourage you to visit your library if you need to save some money and then run to local coffee shop and enjoy.

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 5:43:55 PM PST
I read the whole thing in target in 45 minutes ,she seemed really depressed and bored with life, it kind of depressed me but these two older ladies I talked to thought it was hilarious. Still it isn't as bad as scribble scribble.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 6:38:04 AM PDT
I loved this book; it was so much fun to listen to on CD in my car, tooling around town. Yes, I checked it out from the library, but I'm thinking of purchasing it because it resonated with me, made me think and made me laugh. Yes, it is very short. The woman is a comic genius, and that is a very rare thing. I wish she were my friend and I could hang out with her. No, it was not a waste of my precious time. (I actually do think my time is precious because I am old, too.)
And I agree that it is wrong to read a new book in a store. You are wearing it out and you haven't earned the right by purchasing it. The library is different; you have permission to add wear to it.

I've had my say.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:41:50 PM PDT
Ceebie says:
I loved this book. Maybe you have to be "of an age" to appreciate it. I thought it was funny, true,
comforting.
Sorry the others were disappointed. I was not. At all.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:59:38 AM PDT