4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, good quality GPS, July 21, 2010
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 3055 4.7-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Electronics)
I purchased this GPS a few months ago from Amazon after spending quite a bit of time looking at units from Magellan, Tom Tom, Garmin and Motorola. I like gadgets, but am generally not an "early adapter." So I was a little hesitant to buy this unit, since it is a new model and I could find no reviews online. But I liked the features and the price, so I took the risk and bought it.

I am quite happy with the unit. The screen is big and bright and it is quite easy to use. My wife, who is not the most tech-savy, was able to operate it with only minimal pointers from me. Her mother who used it while visiting also found it very easy to use. It acquires satellite signal quite rapidly and it's directions generally make good sense (although it occasionally picks routs I would not choose, but still got us where we were needing to go). It tells us which lane to get into in plenty of time.

The main feature that influenced me to purchase it was the free traffic info. Other units charged a fee, or had pop-up advertisements for their traffic service, but it is included with this Magellan for free. The other thing I like is that it comes pre-loaded with about a zillion restaurants, hotels, gas stations and other points of interest. This comes in very handy when traveling - it has several times helped us find places to eat when we were in new places.

I've only had 2 problems. First, you must cancel your current trip before you put in a new destination. I discovered this after putting in a new location after getting to my first, but it kept telling me to make a u-turn and go back. If you don't cancel the first trip it won't accept the second location. The other problem I have with it is if I take an alternate route to the one it chooses, it has a very hard time accepting the new route. It will keep trying to make me turn to pick up it's preferred route for quite awhile. Eventually, it does seem to give up and recalculates the new route.

So, I would not hesitate to recommend this GPS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

Nanook says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 6:48:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2010 6:31:38 PM PDT
B. Colonna says:
I'd have to agree with the original reviewer. TomTom models seem to suffer from this same habit as mentined for this Magellan. if you deviate from the route, they take a long time to adapt and replan the route. On the other hand, Garmin models I have had seem to adapt quickly. they may try to turn you back to the original route a little, but as you turn this way or that, the Garmin quickly recalculates. Nature of the beast, yes. But Garmin seems less stubborn than other brands.

Posted on Aug 24, 2010 4:14:28 PM PDT
Bobby1st says:
I started with Magellan Roadmate 700, yeah, that bulky model and learned about those annoying things gps does. If I chose shortest distance and deviate from that shortest route it will ask to make a legal U turn. It will last for about a mile and will pick another shortest route (recalculate) to whatever direction I'm headed. It's the same thing with the other selections.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 7:39:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2011 8:06:36 AM PST
J. Russell says:
To disable U-Turn warnings, in Setting/Navigation Preferences uncheck the U-Turns Enable. When disabled, the 3055 will silently recalculate the next 'new' turn required to get you back on track and announce that instead.

To prevent recalculations an U-Turn warnings when you already know the stops (multiple destinations) you want to make along the way, first enter the first stop, then hit Go. Now go to Menu/Edit Trip and hit Add at the bottom of Edit Trip screen to add as many stops as you want in any order. Then you can hit Optimize at the bottom to automatically order the stops for the most direct (fastest route) to take for all.

If you don't know what detours you may take, like for a deviation/exit for gas/food, and don't want to find one by touching one of the nearby POI Icons on the map, or on the One Touch Screen Icons (you can assign Icons to any POI Type or Address for quick access), you can go to Menu/Detour and select a preset distance you want to avoid directions for.....or to do nothing and just Mute the speaker, if you wish, and detour, ignoring any GPS directions until you are back on planned route by yourself.

Here are a few more helpful hints, common to most Magellans:
*To repeat a turn instruction, touch the text instruction at top of map.
*To see a list of all turns, touch the upper left Arrow. To get a map view of any turn,
touch that turns text on the list.
*To pan the map (move view around) touch and drag it. To go back to original view, hit
Check mark at lower left corner.
*To identify a road, location, or POI Icon on the map, touch it on the map and its name or
GPS location will show above map.
*To get an map view of a the total trip to a destination, wait for a Map Icon at the lower
left of the GO to appear before hitting GO. Hit the Map Icon instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 11:47:22 AM PDT
Thank you for the info. Too bad we don't have more reviewers like you
that take the time to help other.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›