5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, July 5, 2011
This review is from: True Blood: Season 3 (DVD)
I rented all three seasons of True Blood as they came out with the intention of buying them if I liked them. Season 3 was the only DVD set I bought.

First, I LOVED the Sookie/Eric stuff. They have two steamy kisses (one real and one in a dream). I love that he enjoys baiting her and I love that he'd like to care less about her but can't. Eric was inserted in slowly, but perfectly, as the third point of the love triangle and you really see that this is going to be a triangle this season.

Second, I liked how they handled Bill's fall from grace compared to the books. On TV it was treated as too much badness from him all at once and Sookie having enough. Although I still don't get what Sookie was so mad about - he didn't know her when he agreed to spy on her and stopped spying when he fell for her, it wasn't like his love was all a lie (which in the books is how it comes off). Yes, his attack on her in the van was bad, but he didn't do it on purpose (and in the books he raped her too, glad that was left out). In the books, Bill was going to dump her w/o a word to be with Lorena, it wasn't part of a cover to save Sookie (the way it was played on TV), they made Bill that big a jerk to virtually write him out unless they wanted him to make a feeble attempt at an apology (done once a book) so Sookie could yell at him.

Third, I was happy that Sookie was given an active power to use. Yes she's the damsel in distress, but she has a new trick up her sleeve. I actually have the feeling her fate isn't wrinkles and gray hair the way it seems to be going in the books. TV's Sookie might just have a Fairy's immortality too.

Fourth, I felt this season dealt more with vampires. Season two didn't use them much.

Fifth, Eric and Pam are a hoot to watch. More of them PLEASE.

One complaint, and this is my complaint about all three seasons, is that Sookie (lead character of the books) gets so little screen time compared to others. As much as I loved her stuff with Eric and Bill, I felt like they got 5 minutes each episode while I was stuck with other characters for huge chunks of time. From all the merchandising pushing the love triangle (and they are making it a triangle), more time should be devoted to it. I'm not saying it should become the Bill/Sookie/Eric show, but taking 2 minutes from each of the other characters each ep and using it for Sookie and her men wouldn't hurt.

Most improved character goes to Jason. Although still dumb, I like that he was trying to make a life for himself.

Much as I liked the season, there were dark spots:

Jessica, annoying in the first two seasons, was really enjoyable this year, but her story with Holt is BORING. Time for him to go and her to find someone new.

Tara...I'm tired of angry at the world routine because they started her whining long before she had a reason to be so belligerent. By the time she had a reason (Franklin) I was so sick of hearing her complain I had no sympathy for her. And no, it was not an abusive relationship, it was a ONS that turned into an abduction. Tara did what she had to to stay alive and got the better of him. Also sick of hearing her whine about Eggs (worst character name every).

Arlene hates vampires, I get it. Do I need to hear it every ep?

All in all, I'm glad the divided up the story into parts because I can fast forward the parts I find dull without taking from the stuff I enjoy.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]