Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael C. Hall and John Lithgow as Antagonists--Heavenly Hell!, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Dexter: Season 4 (DVD)
Update: both Michael C. Hall and John Lithgow won the Golden Globe for their performances this season. Michael C. Hall also won the Screen Actor's Guild Award.

The success of this type of show, serial killer crime, is usually dependent on how good the villain is. Dexter is, of course, semi villainous since he is a serial killer himself but he kills bad guys. So the series needs a "real" bad guy as well. John Lithgow is that bad guy this season and quite simply, you couldn't ask for a better one. It is a very complex role of a supposedly ideal father, husband and dedicated volunteer for the homeless who also is the serial killer Trinity. He is a very nuanced and layered character. These two characters are not the whole show but they firmly anchor it and everyone else revolves around them. There are surprising twists this season and none more so than the ending. But this is how Dexter always works as a tv show. All the other characters are quite good again too, especially Dexter's sister, who has a significant role in unmasking Trinity too.

A note of warning: if you are also a reader and want to read the four Dexter novels, it is a somewhat bizarre experience to do it side by side with watching the tv show. This is because the books and tv shows kill off and emphasize different characters. Both are excellent but they are different. Imagine Sherlock Holmes where Moriarty lives in the tv version but dies in the books and then change around Watson, Le Strade and the "The Woman", et al, and you begin to see the difficulty. Dexter is also more villainous yet also more comic in the novels than in the tv show.

Another added note: if you are an audiobook fan, the Dexter audiobooks are some of the very best audiobooks around. The narrator is superb.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2010 9:57:50 AM PST
M. Pitcavage says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2010 10:15:30 AM PST
carol irvin says:
Most of my readers are looking for leads to good tv series, whether they get them on DVD or streaming or pay per view or whatever source. Very, very few of them are concerned with the technical quality of any of it as long as it is watchable. I realize some of you are very concerned about those issues, as well as special features, but those people tend not to read my reviews. I am sure there are quite a few Amazon reviewers you can find who will address these concerns of yours. We are not formal reviewers here at Amazon. Many of us are just trying to help one another out in finding specific things we might enjoy, no matter how we end up getting it.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 5:18:22 PM PST
the lobster says:
I thought your review was helpful-- thanks for the info about the books. Something to look forward to while waiting for the dvd's:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2010 5:23:28 PM PST
carol irvin says:
Thanks, I like giving people leads which have worked out for me. Those audio books are the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2010 7:10:16 PM PDT
I agree with the lobster
Thanks for the heads up on the books and the audio versions. I love audio books, especially if the narrator is good. I found your review very helpful, even though Season 4 isn't on DVD yet...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2010 7:23:15 PM PDT
carol irvin says:
A lot of us got tired of waiting around for dvd releases. I also used to collect dvds and then discovered how rarely I was using them. I also do not mind watching things on my macbook stretched out on sofa or bed. I've gotten very used to ebook reading though as well. Plus I can't remember the last time I wasn't listening to music or an audiobook on an ipod or iphone. I have a macbook, an iphone, an ipad, and a few ipods. I have no large screen tv, no stereo system, no home entertainment system. My husband uses a 27" color tv and only watches streaming on roku from netflix. We drastically reduced our living space (and cost of living) about six years ago by going into a small condo. If you go to digital on everything, you don't miss the space. Dexter is a great series. I was glad to read that Michael Hall seems to be doing ok from his cancer treatments. He finished chemo last month. He has lymphoma cancer but has taken all treatments for it. I sure hope he makes it both for his sake and ours! I can't imagine anyone else playing Dexter.

Posted on May 20, 2010 10:23:47 AM PDT
Thanks for the heads-up about differences between the Dexter books and TV/DVD series. I will say I suspected that would be the case -- hence, although I have all the novels, I have delayed reading them until after the series ends. It will be both a way to keep my head clear, as well as to prolong the joy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 10:48:16 AM PDT
carol irvin says:
I think that is a good way to do it. I had already read the novels which then existed plus listened to the audio versions before the showtime series began. So there was no way I could give up the novels and audios as I was already hooked. However, then when the series conflicted with a new novel and audio release as the new versions of all came out, it was pretty bizarre to experience them all together. I've never seen a screen version vary this much from a novel version. One would suspect that one of them would have to be terrible as a result but that hasn't happened either. They are all top flight! You are lucky you are just starting out and can do the whole thing in sequence when the series is over. I'm so glad Michael C. Hall seems too have rallied from his cancer. I can't imagine anyone else playing Dexter. He's done with chemo, is in full remission, is finishing a movie and apparently is raring to go on the next season of Dexter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 8:59:37 PM PST
Harmony K. says:
Just wanted to add that audio book #5 (Dexter is delicious) is read by the author himself, and he did a fantastic job both as writer and as reader. It's quite hilarious in parts. This book series gets better and better IMO with each volume.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 2:21:35 PM PDT
S. Ferguson says:
What the hell are talking about?

If the reviewer watched the show while it was airing on TV, the DVD is going to be the same thing with some special features thrown in.

Give me break...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

carol irvin
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: United States