Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

1.0 out of 5 stars Gold Toe did not put their best foot forward, July 15, 2011
This review is from: Gold Toe Men's Cotton Liner Athletic Sock, 6-Pack (Apparel)
I tend to buy Gold Toe socks whenever possible. I have always found them to be the most comfortable, well made socks available. I recently bought a three pack of pairs of Gold Toe "No Show" men's socks at a local retailer and loved them. So when I saw these six packs available through Amazon at an even better price I jumped all over them.

These ARE NOT necessarily the same Gold Toe socks you will find at several brick and mortar retailers. You need to check the actual product number, as apparently Gold Toe has several similar products but with distinctly different quality. They are Gold Toe, and they look about the same, but the edge around the opening is slightly narrower than the ones I bought in the store. No big deal I thought - so they are sewn slightly different.

I have an average man's foot, about a 10 shoe size, normal width, etc. Typically I put on socks and they fit. I have seen other reviews where people like these socks and mention wearing a 12 or 13 size shoe, while people wearing a 9 1/2 or 10 1/2 complain about the socks....so maybe they run very large.

Simply put, these are absolutely the worst fit of any sock I have ever owned. They slid down off my heel repeatedly. I tried several of the pairs I bought (about 4 pairs out of 12) and they were all the same. They tend to slide around, not as if they are too big but just as if they aren't made right. They also are somewhat thinner than the Gold Toe 'No Show' socks I bought in the store.

The good socks I have are a Gold Toe 2247P. These are a model 656F. The 2247P may be very slightly higher on the ankle, but the difference in quality is like night and day.

What a disappointment. I returned them. Fortunately, Amazon is awesome and offers free return on many apparel items, as well as free returns when something is defective.

I'd avoid these socks, or take a chance knowing you can return them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2012 11:24:40 AM PST
TJ says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:26:47 PM PDT
B. Colonna says:
Well, here's the thing. Gold Toe's primary business is making socks. These are awful, but they make other similar socks that are of their typical high quality. They look essentially the same, right down to the package. So, in trying to write a good review for people who would be making a sight unseen (on-line) purchase, I included the part number.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 6:39:49 AM PDT
W. G. Moore says:
Thanks for going to the trouble to include the number for the better Gold Toe sport liners. Based upon that, I ordered them and they are great. I've had trouble getting sock liners that fit well and stay comfortable. Also, I just noticed Amazon has an "Ignore this customer" link below reviews. TJ just became my first.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 1:15:25 PM PDT
Thanks for a thorough review. If you search on Amazon the model number you mentioned you find the item and the (ever so minor) difference.

Gold Toe Men's Cotton Sport Liner 6-Pack

The ones you wanted are the "Gold Toe Men's Cotton SPORTS Liner" the ones you got are exactly that but not "Sport". Thanks to your review I'll be getting the correct ones. 'Tis a shame, though, that the "good ones" aren't offered in black.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:17:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 2:18:13 PM PDT
B. Colonna says:
Thanks! To complicate things more, the "good" ones I got were packaged with the same name as these (also not saying SPORTS), but I got them at a brick/mortar store, so who knows how many product package variations there are - that's why I ended up listing the "part #". The variation in cut (on the ones I have anyway) is less noticable than in the photos. I did see them in black though, although this was probably close to two years ago.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 10:16:58 PM PDT
I have never had any experience with this brand, but since nearly everyone in the house wears similar socks the gold toe was appealing to me. I was very disappointed when they arrived and were too small for me. The ankle line was also lower than I expected and I just felt that they were not comfortable. I appreciate your review, but I suppose I should have read it before I purchased them. It seems like you are saying that they were too big for you though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:22:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 6:32:14 PM PDT
B. Colonna says:
Interesting. Again, very atypical of Gold Toe products. Could be complete QC issues with this particular product. I've never really overthought buying socks, you tend to buy them and they fit. On me, again an average size foot, they initially stay on but when I wear a sneaker or shoe, or just walk around in the socks, they kept coming off.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 6:19:09 AM PDT
Chris says:
I agree, these are not the gold toe socks you get in store. But I must admit the socks are not the worst I've ever purchased. I use the for work and would purchase them again

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 7:37:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2013 7:39:21 AM PDT
B. Colonna says:
I guess these can even vary from lot to lot. Some reviews speak very highly of them. I still love Gold Toe anyway and continue to buy their socks. These just didn't work out for whatever reason.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 6:24:41 PM PST
Eva Waylett says:
I have always lived in Florida, so I'm not familiar with cold weather 'gear.' Can someone tell me if these socks are meant to be worn under another pair of socks? I assume that's why they are called 'liners,' but all the reviewers seem to call them socks. I'm thinking of buying them for my son-in-law who lives in Denver, CO
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›