3.0 out of 5 stars Getting better, December 26, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
I love Megadeth, but they've been a band that has rarely lived up to what they could be, in my opinion. Rust in Peace, Countdown, and YOuthenasia are my personal favorites of mine. I"ve always thought they had a great sound, except for Cryptic Writtings, and Risk, but very few of their albums grabbed me. That's not to say they didn't have their good songs. Even Risk had one or two songs I liked, but most of their albums as a whole just didnt' do it for me.

Musically this might be Dave's best album. There's decent variety in tempo changes. The sound is great. Probably my favorite sound of a Megadeth album. The vocals are good, but unfortunately the songs just don't grab me. They're ok. There's not a bad song, although Headcrusher comes close. Thankfully, unlike hero and UA, we get no more remakes of past Megadeth songs. Those should be reserved for b-sides.

This Day We Fight - 7/10 - Very fast song. Great music, guitars drums, everything. The only thing keeping this one from being a stand out, for me, is the lack of a hook. Still the music more than makes this song a good one to listen to.

44 Minutes - 9/10 - Very Countdown. Somewhat mid-tempo song. Great chorus. Great bass line.

1,320' - 6/10 - Faster than the last song. Good riffs, but the song lacks something. Great bridge, and solo.

Bite The Hand - 5/10 - Faster song. The vocals are pretty good on this one, and there's more of an attempt at adding a hook to the chorus. The only thing that bugs me are the lyrics. Dave has done much better, in fact lyrically htis is one of his weakest songs. "When it's dog eat dog you are what you eat"? Seriously? I could write better lyrics than that. Still the music is good.

Bodies - 7/10 - Mid-tempo song. It's ok, but it sounds too much like 44 Minutes. It does speed up a bit, into a good solo at the end.

Endgame - 8/10 - The intro reminds me of a bad sci fi movie. The song starts out slow, but heavy, and gradually picks up speed. It ends up being a pretty fast song after the first chorus. I like the chorus, especially when the song picks up speed. For me this song could've been a brutally fast song straight through, and I would've been happy. Actually I'd have given it a perfect 10 if it had been.

The Hardest Part of Letting Go. - 7/10 - Acoustic intro, with strings in the background. Very atmospheric, and the most experamental song on the album. The song picks up speed midway through, and I love the strings in the background during the heavier part of this song.

Headcrusher - 4/10 - Every point I give this song is based on the music. Very fast paced song. I love the drums, and love the guitars. The vocals are only ok, and the chorus is awful. Still I'll listen to it.

How The Story Ends - 8/10 - This one's an up-tempo song, slow in comparison to some others, but fast enough. Great chorus, although it lacks the great riffs the rest of the songs on here have. Still I like it. I like the acoustic bit in the bridge. The solo's good too.

The Right To Go Insane - 8/10 - Slower paced than most of the album, solid riffs in the verses. Dave's vocals are as are very fitting for the lyrics in this song. Solid chorus. This is a fine closing song for the album.

Still this is another gradual step in the right direction for Dave and co. It's a decent album, just could've been better with a hook or two throun in there. I can't wait for the next album, and if you're a Megadeth fan definately check this one out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2010 2:13:41 PM PST
Jc. says:
After 2 listens to this album, I have to agree with you and your review whole heartedly. I thought musically, this was one of the better Megadeth albums. Lyrically however, it is one of the worst. To me Dave's lyrics just seemed like armature hour on this one, and although I could not disagree with him more politically I always thought he could articulate his message great when he paired it up with his music. On this album however the lyrics almost never seem to go with the tune. I forget what song he is singing about the TV dinner and beer, but it is just weak as his continuous harping about "the New World Order and the President of the United States". The New World Order song to me started off reminding me of Half Life 2 but then Dave started beating a dead horse again and unfortunately was not able to pair it effectively with the music being played.

I rarely listen to the music for a message, but I am afraid I will have to figure out a way to kind of blank out the lyrics all together on this one just because it sounds so off and it is not because he does not have the range he use to it just does not pair well with the songs.

Since Dave is so fond or replacing his vocals on albums, whether they be live or original studio releases, I sincerely hope he goes back in the studio and replaces almost all his vocals on this album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2011 9:11:36 PM PST
Metalhammer says:
Beer and tv dinners? I forgot about that one.. Eeh that's bad.. I agree a reworking of the vocals, just for lyrical content would be awsome. We'd just have to hope he didn't make it worse. I kind of wish he'd sing about something else for once. back in the 90's when I got into music, pretty much everything was fresh, to me, so Megadeth songs about the government weren't tired or boring, and they did other lyrical themes too. Now it just feels like Megadeth is Dave's medium for ranting his political views, and I'm just tired. Part because it's old in this band, part because the lyrics are so bad, and part because in the last decade, politics have become more of a popular lyrical theme, and while dave amongst many others did it before disturbed and others of this generation, hit's still just a tired theme.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›