Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad, and the ugly., August 23, 2012
This review is from: HTC EVO LTE, Black 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
If you don't read anything else in this review, read "The Ugly" section. Some of the problems with this phone are important to cover, and may be a dealbreaker for many. I've had this phone for a month now, and I want to share my thoughts. The device has some really fantastic features that I absolutely love. It also has some serious knocks against it that really drag the experience down. I honestly find myself wondering now if I should have stuck with my last phone, the previous Evo 4g, for a little while longer.

The good:

Most reviews rave about some specific features of this phone, and I can say that the raving is justified. The screen is gorgeous. It is bright, and the resolution makes everything crisp and clear. The camera is as good as they say it is. It is an entirely new class of phone camera. It is incredibly fast and responsive, and the picture quality is simply amazing. With my old Evo 4g, I enjoyed the pics but never harbored any illusion that they were as good as those of a dedicated camera. With the Evo 4g LTE, the camera is easily as good as any point and shoot on the market today. The slow-mo video is a fun feature, the ability to capture a pic while taking video is fantastic, the hardware button is wonderful, and most of all I love the rapid-capture ability. It really is just a fantastic camera.

ICS is a great upgrade over older versions of android. On the Evo 4g LTE it is fast and responsive, with hardly a stutter to be seen. Little things like the ability to unlock directly to an app really make a big difference. The music player has been nicely tweaked over older iterations, I especially like that it now acts as a hub for all the music capabilities of the phone: pandora, mp3s, etc. I general the OS feels more intuitive and responsive than older iterations, as it should.

The battery life seems to be very respectable. Part of why I upgraded was that my old Evo's battery was showing its age and could barely last 10 hours without needing a recharge. The Evo 4g LTE lasts multiple days on a single charge with light use, which is plenty for my needs.

The microSD slot is pretty easily accessible, and offers the ability to cheaply upgrade the phone's storage.

The bad:

Apparently (according to a bit of google searching) there are multiple screen manufacturers for the phone, and not all screens are built equal. While my phone's screen is generally great, it has a VERY noticeable flicker when displaying certain colors. Specifically the light grey shade that you see when the Google Play (market) app opens flickers like an old low refresh-rate monitor. It isn't an issue very often, but it is very disconcerting.

The build quality of the Evo 4g LTE is pretty suspect. The front of the phone feels super solid and I have no doubt that the glass will hold up over time. The same can be said about the brushed aluminum bezel, back panel, and kickstand. But the gloss plastic that covers 50% of the phone's backside is already showing wear and tear, after less than a month. I baby my electronics, and my two-year-old Evo 4g is in nearly perfect condition. The glossy plastic portions of the Evo 4g LTE already creak alarmingly under pressure, and I do not feel confident that they will stand up to the test of time. There is a noticeable gap between the removable plastic cover and the surrounding aluminum bezel. The build quality is surprisingly poor compared to my previous experience with HTC, and honestly even when compared to other portions of the Evo 4g LTE itself.

A few features of ICS are not as intuitive as one would like. My old Evo 4g instantly and automatically linked all of my contacts with their facebook information, thus filling in things like birthdates, and most importantly profile pictures. ICS (and maybe Sense had something to do with this) did not. It took quite a bit of digging around, and some work on google to figure out how to enable the facebook linkage. Until then, all of my contacts had default grey outline pictures.

The ugly:

This is where the phone starts to fall apart for me. The network capabilities are awful. They are a clear downgrade from my Evo 4g. I live in Kansas City, and my old Evo 4g had both excellent 3g coverage, and excellent WiMax coverage. Ping times were the only problem I had with WiMax (typically in the 200-300 range), but I typically got 3-7Mbps down and ~1Mbps up with very reliable coverage, especially in my home. Outside of WiMax range, I reliably got 3g coverage that pulled ~1-2Mbps down and up. This is what I would expect, given that I am in Sprint's home market.

I upgraded to the Evo 4g LTE after hearing that LTE was officially "live" in Kansas City. Unfortunately the news that I missed was that by "live", they really mean "about 30% live". There is little to no actual LTE coverage in the city. At my apartment, where WiMax was previously very strong, I can only connect to LTE rarely, and when I do the signal is so weak that my connection times out regularly. Watching antenna strength, the LTE connection sits around -115 to -120dBm (in non-technical terms, that is just a hair above zero bars). I actually disabled the LTE antenna on my phone because it is disruptive FAR more often than it is useful.

"So what", you might say. "Just use 3g". I would agree with you. 3g should be able to get me by in the next few months while Sprint continues their LTE rollout, hopefully with an antenna near my home. Unfortunately the phone's 3g antenna is also highly problematic. 3g signal pickup is weaker than my old Evo 4g, and speeds are considerably worse than my previous phone. Pings usually sit around 200, which is acceptable, but I almost never get above 0.5Mbps down, or up. Additionally (and even more importantly), the phone has a habit of dropping the 3g signal. I tether often, and when I do I tend to lose 3g every few minutes. This is in close proximity to a 3g tower, and with a strong signal (4-5 bars, in the -70 to -80dBm range). The phone will just inexplicably lose 3g connectivity. Google around a bit and find out: this is a known problem that many people are dealing with, and HTC/Sprint have acknowledged the issue and are trying to rectify it. Problem is, it isn't fixed. I truly hope that in the near future an OTA update will fix the problems... after all, I'm basically stuck with this phone for the next 23 months. The network issues are bad enough that I really do miss my old Evo 4g, and I'm very tempted to reactivate it.

Conclusion: at the end of the day, the Evo 4g LTE is a phone, and as such I think the network issues are a pretty big deal. If you are on WiFi constantly, then they won't be an issue for you, but if you're dependent upon Sprint's network in any way, be very careful... this phone has some major baggage.

Update 9/25/2012: A couple OTA updates later, and it is still in pretty bad shape. I am very used to 500ms+ ping now, and 0.1Mbps download/upload speeds. 4g coverage is still nonexistant. According to xda and s4gru, this problem is SPECIFIC TO THE EVO 4g LTE. As in an iPhone 5 and SGIII will both connect just fine to 4g, but an Evo in the same room will not.

Try this neat trick: Go to craigslist and search for Evo 4g LTE. See how many nearly new Evos are being sold for less than half the price of a new one? That speaks more volumes than my review does.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 10:50:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 3:31:22 PM PST
FTCEA says:
I have the same problems with 3g and also with wifi connections. This is a known issue and Sprint has tried a software update to correct this twice on my phone. Hopefully the second try will be the charm as I really like the phone otherwise. Had the original EVO and did not have these issues.
Update: I replaced the phone and still have these issues. I also have problems with texting and now it takes forever to find a contact. Sprint will only replace it with the same defective model. I would not recommend this phone or Sprint at this point. This is a bad phone STAY AWAY!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 5:12:08 PM PDT
Yes, there have been two OTA updates since I bought the phone, and neither one fixed the issue unfortunately. Still unable to stay connected to 4g, and still getting horrifically bad 3g performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 8:29:08 AM PDT
Rob Mattheu says:
Do me a favor, e-mail dan at sprintdotcom and tips at consumeristdotcom and let them know you too are having 3G issues. I've had a nightmare getting anyone at Sprint to acknowledge this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 9:13:35 PM PDT
LOLZEEZ says:
1) Dial ##DATA#
2)Enter edit. you will need to call sprint and ask them for the MSL password, that is what you need to enter in
3)go to lte record
4)change the scan timer to 5 from 30
5)hit menu and apply changes
6)After it reboots, download the "lte on off htc thunderbolt" app from google play
7)using the app, you can now choose what network you want to connect to. Enjoy!

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 4:16:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 4:17:02 PM PDT
G. Kline says:
You must be experiencing unusual circumstance with your environment or your particular phone is defective. I've read numerous reviews and only a small fraction of them have complained about 3G speeds. If this problem was across the board, the phone would have been a horrible failure.

I recently pitted the Motorola Photon 4G LTE against the EVO 4G LTE, for video streaming performance and rendering. The EVO was generally better in most cases, with downloads on 3G being faster. For some reason, a few videos played through the YouTube app had better clarity and colors than the EVO, but not as smooth frame transitions. Yet, I found a 1080p video that looked superior on the EVO in all respects (thus, I attribute the incidents of deficient playback to the player). Anyway, no 3G problems found.

Thanks for the note about the screen quality issues and the flickering gray. I'll keep an eye out for that when I finally make the switch to the Evo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 2:38:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 2:45:43 PM PDT
@ Rob: Sure, I can do that.

@ LOLZEEZ: Ahh I had perused over the #DATA# menu, but didn't know about the MSL password thing. I'll try messing around with this, thank you for the tip! :)

@ G. Kline: Yes you're absolutely right, if the problem was too widespread then the phone would have been an unmitigated disaster. But I also would venture to say that the fact that the vast majority of the phone's reviews were done PRIOR to Sprint turning on the 4g network has something to do with the lack of information on the subject from professional sources. Also, a large portion of users of the phone are still living in a non-4g area, and thus have had no experience with the poor 4g performance (though to be honest I don't know what's worse... having horrid 4g, or having no 4g!).

As for the 3g issue: I suspect its something that would most often be noticed by 'power users', a minority of the phone's userbase. The phone very rarely drops calls, and it can surf the internet, albeit slowly. Its only when you tether and try to do something bandwidth intensive that the problems become evident, and then when you start running actual tests and benchmarks on the phone the problems go from evident to completely glaring.

And regarding the 3g performance specifically: it does seem to be intermittent, which could be attributable to switching between towers in my area, and not all towers being equal. I occasionally have pretty good 3g performance, but I just as often have abysmal performance. I hate having to constantly toggle airplane mode and then run speedtest until I reliably hit on a good connection.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 8:28:22 PM PST
Ki T. Park says:
I learn some life lesson by using this phone....
Never going to use sprint ever again

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 9:57:35 AM PST
I am supposed to get this phone this coming week to replace my Evo 3G in Indiana. I am researching this phone because my current Evo is a replacement for the 18 month old one I bought new that would not charge reliably and the screen went out.
After so many frustrating problems with that phone, I want to new Evo but not the headaches. They say we have 4 G in Indy area but I'm wondering now if that is to be believed?
I want to know if you have another recommendation for a Sprint customer who has an upgrade to use that may be more reliable than this Evo LTE?

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 5:30:02 PM PST
H. Little says:
The original evo was junk i went thru 6 of them in 8 months all with manufacturer defects. The evo 4g LTE is a good phone. I have had this phone for the better part of the year and in fact all 5 of my lines are evo 4g lte's, never an issue... IPhone's have more problems than vos do.

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 12:44:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2014 12:46:18 PM PST
the LTE model in my experience does 3g, or 4gLTE... does not do 4g at all. I got this as the areas I am in, skipped 4g when they upgraded towers... went from 3g, to LTE and my older HTC would not do LTE at all, only 4g.. so I was constantly on 3g. I've had mine for almost a year, got it used for $80 online, had no problems other then the case is not strong where the removeable panel is, and caused the screen to crack. (back pockets are hard on phones.) I will buy another one, and a case to give it some protection, otherwise, love it. ( I also use TING mobile on the sprint network for much less then sprint)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›