4.0 out of 5 stars Super Slim, September 25, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 250GB Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Bundle (Video Game)
STATEMENT OF PERSONAL BIAS: I've been a PS3 owner ever since the 60GB Classic became available in 2007 and I've been impressed with the PS3's reliability, versatility and its sheer power - I've owned both Classic and Slim models, upgraded most, gave away a couple. In the end one's choice for a gaming console is a matter of personal taste and preference but the PS3 is by far the more popular 'gaming' or 'entertainment' implement in our household. And we do own an Xbox.

The FAQ below and the more free-form text that follows are the outcome of the quick unboxing of the Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Bundle.

___________________________________________

THE FAQ:

Q: Why should I buy a PS3 at all? What's it good for?
A: With a PS3 you can play disc-based or downloaded games and this includes no-fee support for multiplayer, play Blu-ray, DVD movies or stream, rent or download movies or your own videos, play CDs or upload and play your own music, upload and display your photos, listen to Internet radio stations, access an ever-increasing number of Internet services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Music Unlimited, browse the Web, play content off DLNA-compatible computers, laptops, media servers or network-attached storage (NAS) or allow your computers to play content stored on your PS3, integrate with your PSP or Vita portable consoles.

Q: In what ways is the new PS3 different from the current models?
A: The new model (Super Slim) is smaller, lighter, more quiet, more power efficient, has a larger HDD and has discs top-loaded vs. front-loaded on the Slim.

Q: Is the new model less expensive than the Slim?
A: The Super Slim is only available as a bundle at the time I'm writing this (will update). The current bundle consisting essentially of the console itself, a physical game, a downloadble game and 30 day Playstation Plus is slightly more expensive than the plain old model console but sells for less than a similar old model bundle - PS3 160GB with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 Blu-ray Disc Bundle which is $300 and it adds only a movie and a 30-day Playstation Plus membership.

Q: Can I get the console without the games and pay less?
A: Not at this time. But the console I helped unbox had the Uncharted 3 shrink-wrapped and it should be possible to sell it through Amazon as `new'.

Q: I am ready to order a PS3 but I'm undecided. Should I buy a Slim or a Super Slim?
A: If you would buy Uncharted 3 with the Slim, then you should pick the new model. If not... it's a matter of preference: front loading (Slim) vs. top loading (this model). Buy the Slim if you can't stand `top loading' your discs but buy this model otherwise because of the small improvements (see first answer)

Q: Should I buy this bundle or should I wait for more choices or a price drop?
A: Either or both are likely to happen post Black Friday but if Uncharted 3 is your kind of game this could still be a good buy,

Q: Isn't Sony expected to announce the PS4 soon?
A: It is likely that Sony's next generation console will be launched in 2013. Sony recently committed to support the PS3 at least through 2015.

Q: If I already have a PS3 is this model worth the upgrade?
A: See the answer to the first question. The new model has an additional 90GB of HDD storage when compared to the 160GB Slim.

Q: I am planning to buy my first Sony console? Should I buy the Slim, the Super Slim (this bundle) or wait for the PS4?
A: We bought our first PS3 in 2007 and we paid a lot for it. The reward was us enjoying it for the 2 years between the time of our purchase and Sony announcing some less expensive models. In our case it was well worth it. I would expect the PS3 to remain a viable gaming platform and home entertainment center for at least two more years.

Q: Is the new model compatible with all my existing peripherals: controllers, Move, Eye camera, keyboard, charger?
A: Yes.

Q: Does this model come with HDMI, USB cables?
A: There is a USB cable in the box but you will have to supply your own HDMI if you need one.

Q: What is actually in the box?
A: The console itself, power cord, composite video cable, USB cable, the controller, Uncharted 3 game in a sealed case, DUST 514 voucher and Playstation Plus 30-day membership, User Guide.

Q: Once I buy this bundle, what else will I need to have a fully functional console?
A: You should buy an HDMI cable if you are going to connect your PS3 to an HD TV. You may also want a second controller. A Move bundle (controllers, camera) is highly optional. A charger should be okay but it's not needed because controllers charge through the PS3's USB ports.

Q: If I buy the 250GB model can I upgrade later to a larger size?
A: Yes, Sony will allow you to replace the existing HDD with a compatible 2.5" SATA drive without voiding the warranty. There are dozens of step-by-step guides on YouTube.

Q: Will I have to pay Sony if I wanted to play co-op or multiplayer games?
A: No. The basic PSN access is free. There is the Playstation Plus option that adds some perks such as free trial games, betas and demos and some discounts on downloaded titles but `non-essential' is the key word. I never felt I needed to pay for that service.

Q: Is there a complete list of services currently on the PS3?
A: This is what is available at the time I'm writing this: NFL Sunday Ticket, Hulu Plus, Netflix, YouTube, Vudu HD Movies, Crunchyroll (anime), NHL Gamecenter Live, MLB.tv, XOS College Sports, CinemaNow, Laugh Factory Live (beta), Music Unlimited.

___________________________________________

SLIMS vs. SUPERSLIMS

It's likely that Sony may stop making/selling the existing 160/320GB Slim models and this 250GB and the upcoming 500GB models with their various 'bundles are going to be the only models to choose from in the near future. At the time of my writing this review this 250GB Uncharted 3 Game of the Year bundle is the only 'super slim' configuration available with the 500GB bundle expected to launch in October.

The few hands-on hours I spent with this model convinced me that the new PS3 is a slight improvement over the models it replaces and here are the changes:

- Price - yes, the 250GB Super Slim's bundle costs more than a plain 160GB Slim but it's a bundle - it comes with a physical game and a download voucher in addition to the console. There is a resalable, shrink-wrapped copy of Uncharted 3 inside and you could probably sell it at Amazon for more than the price difference between the bundle and the Slim. It's quite likely that we are going to see an unbundled 250GB configuration for under two hundred dollars during the holiday season.
- Smaller - I believe Sony stated that the new model is 20% lighter than the Slim.
- Larger HDD - the extra 90GB (250GB vs. 160GB) may not sound like a lot but the extra storage is enough room for maybe 30-40 downloaded games or 20-30 DVD-quality movies.
- Burns less electricity - the Super Slim comes with a 190W power supply which is 60W less than the Slim's 250W.
- Fans are more quiet - the smaller model has smaller fans and I could hardly hear them.
- Disc loading - it's changing from the front-loader to a top-loader method. This method guarantees that you'll never end up with a stuck disc but the sliding door can be noisy.
- Finish - the shape is more streamlined but the overall impression if 'cheaper looking' when compared to the Slim or the Classic. I personally don't care because my PS3 lives under the TV and it's not seen.

RATING THIS BUNDLE
I tend to like this new model for the several small improvements over the Slim. Because I don't mind `top loading' and `looks' for a console that's not seen don't matter. I would pick this model over the Slim because of the several small improvements. If this was my first PS3 purchase I would buy one with the knowledge that a new model may be announced one year from now because paying less than a dollar a day for one fine gaming and overall entertaining center is well worth it but that's just my view.

I am going to rate this bundle a four stars, mainly because at the time I'm writing this review and at least for the next few weeks we won't have the freedom to choose between a bundle and a just plain Super Slim for a lower price. Uncharted 3 is a great Sony exclusive and we already own a copy and I'd prefer to buy a copy because I wanted to, not because I have little choice.

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2012 2:06:31 PM PDT
Thank you - perhaps the most helpful Amazon review I've ever read.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 2:43:12 PM PDT
Hung Do Le says:
Your comments are very helpful. Hope that you will keep your passion with PS 3 to review more and more in the future:D

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 3:56:12 PM PDT
A. Dent says:
Thank you guys. I do appreciate it.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:19:51 PM PDT
V. Granados says:
I appreciate your ps3 review, thanks a lot, Do I still need to brush my teeth?...Is not the law!!!!

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:37:19 PM PDT
Ed says:
Thanks for the very informative review. I wanted to ask you if you could elaborate more on the noisiness of the top-loading door. Is it a manual sliding door or is it mechanically operated? How is the noise produced? Does it rattle when a disc is playing? Thanks for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 7:43:57 AM PDT
A. Dent says:
Briefly, it's a manual sliding door with a spring. It slides open when you touch the unlock button and you slide it back closed by hand.

The noise is from the read head accessing the disc. There is no noise when you watch a movie because the head hardly moves but if you play a game and the head moves back and forth then you can hear it. It appears to be noisier than the previous model because of the thin sliding door on the new model vs. the disc residing deep inside the console on previous models. I can't say that it bothers me because, like I said, there's no noise when watching movies and most of the games that I play tend to be quite loud and noisy themselves :)

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 8:43:29 AM PDT
I. Kerbel says:
Hi,
Thanks for the review.
I have a quick question.
Can you check if the voltage rating on the PS3 is 120-240V or just 120?
I want to take it to Europe with me....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 9:25:43 AM PDT
A. Dent says:
It's 120-240V, I checked already. Make sure you get a plug adapter.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 11:09:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 11:20:21 AM PDT
First of all, GREAT REVIEW/ANALYSIS.

I love my PS3 (launch SKU which is on its last legs in YLOD land, sadly), but I really have doubts about these super-slims. Their entire purpose is to increase per-unit profitability for Sony at roughly the same retail price. The only way this works is for the manufacturing cost to be cheaper. In other words, you're paying the same amount for a cheaper system with the super-slims. Sure the HD is bigger, but the unit cost impact for that is marginal and doesn't justify this price point (the $20 difference with the old slims is pretty much explained away by the pack-in game...which can be bought on its own for $20). I'd pickup a normal slim given the opportunity. It's a nicer piece of hardware from an aesthetic standpoint, and I'm going to wager reliability as well (but only time will tell).

Long story short: they cut corners somewhere, and I'm guessing it's not just the drive loading mechanism.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 11:13:42 PM PDT
Ed says:
Thanks for answering my question. I have an 80GB Phat and I love it however the fan noise is just too loud for watching movies. Looking to try out one of these super-slims but I have some concerns. You're review was very helpful to me. Keep up the good work and enjoy your new PS3.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (385 customer reviews)

$269.99 $259.00
Reviewer

A. Dent "Aragorn"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Minas Anor, GD