5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Five Star Movie! But Amazon Needs To Ensure Reviews Are Relevant To The Version Being Reviewed!, June 7, 2008
This review is from: McLintock! (Authentic Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Please do not confuse consumer complaints, and their one star reviews, about the quality of the DVD (which definitely does not apply to this DVD version), with the quality of the movie. "McLintock" is one of John Wayne's best movies, combining comedy--for which Wayne was not well recognized--and western genres. "McLintock" was the second John Wayne movie ("Stagecoach," his finest, being the first) I showed my three sons as I introduced each of them to the wonder of the greatest film star of all time. While I feel that "Quite Man," also with Maureen O'Hara, is the film Wayne should have won the Oscar for Best Actor, and rivals and parallels "McLintock," the "Quite Man" is more for adults than the entire family. I loved "McLintock" when I saw it on the big screen in 1963, I was thrilled when it came out in VHS (although the quality was bad), and I am honored to own McLintock! (Authentic Collector's Edition). I just wish that AMAZON.COM would differentiate reviews for each version of a movie, as most of the bad reviews of movies are about the disk quality or some other aspect of the product, and not about the movie itself. Hence, the overall reviewer rating for "McLintock" is three stars, mostly, if not entirely, because previously released versions had major quality issues. But those bad reviews serve to inhibit people from buying the "McLintock! (Authentic Collector's Edition)" version. Granted, quality is an issue; but one that needs to be addressed to the studios, not the movie. Thus, if I need a lift, I turn to "McLintock," because it has humor, sarcasm, and hope--not because the quality of the disk or features are less than desired.

This delightfully wonderful film essentially spawned a new genre, western comedies, which ultimately lead to Lee Marvin's Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role. "McLintock" also reunited John Wayne with Maureen O'Hara, one of the few actors who could push Wayne to do his best work--in deed, I would include all of their (I believe eight) movies in the top 20 movies John Wayne made. I would like to note that this was NOT their last movie--as stated in other reviews--together, "Big Jake" (1971) being one that comes to mind immediately.

While Amazon's review pans the bonus features--again, something that has nothing to do with how great the film is--I found them quite entertaining and interesting.

Update--1 July 2008: If this review was not helpful to you, I would appreciate learning the reason(s) so I can improve my reviews. My goal is to provide help to potential buyers, not get into any arguments. So, if you only disagree with my opinion, could you please say so in the comments and not indicate that the review was not helpful. Thanks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2008 1:51:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2008 4:01:19 PM PST
MacGuffin says:
I'm a fellow Voice and I think your review was just fine. I always want to know the quality of a particular release; I've never been that crazy about Amazon's habit of lumping together reviews for a given title.

Posted on Jan 13, 2009 1:14:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2009 1:20:58 PM PST
James says:
Unfortunately there were only five (5) movies with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. They were ( in order of production) Rio Grande (1950), The Quiet Man (1952), The Wings of Eagles (1956) McLintock(1962) and Big Jake(1971) ( a small part). They were a very strong couple on screen and good friends of screen. Too bad there weren't more movies with both of them.

Posted on Jan 13, 2009 6:22:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2009 6:44:07 PM PST
I would like to thank MacGuffin and James for their comments. I whole heartedly agree with James with regards to the unfortunate reality that Wayne and O'Hara worked together in only five films, four of which I would include in a list of John Wayne's best twenty movies. According to biographies I have read on both John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, numerous attempts to bring the two together in more films failed for a variety of reasons, much to the disappointment of both stars.

MacGuffin, I would like to thank you for your kind and encouraging comments (and to apologize for taking so long to "learn" how to check for comments that are left), not to mention knowing that there is at least one other person who agrees with me about Amazon's (increasingly inconsistent) lumping together of reviews.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 5:41:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2011 5:46:34 PM PDT
PeeperKeeper says:
When buying a movie on DVD or Blu Ray online, I am more interested in a review about the quality of the version than of the movie itself. There are plenty of movie review sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, Netflix, etc., where someone can learn about the movie's story, acting, directing, etc.. On Amazon or other places where one goes to buy a movie, the review should be about the quality of the media up for sale (as in picture and sound). I don't generally buy a movie unless i've seen it and know I will watch it over and over. The first time I see a movie I Netflix or rent it. There are apparently very poor quality versions of this movie and much better quality versions authorized by the Wayne Foundation. I wouldn't have known that if it weren't for the other reviews that pointed that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 4:09:41 PM PDT
Eyedoc,

I agree with what you say and hope to incorporate such comments in any future reviews I write.--Karl
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (781 customer reviews)

$12.99 $6.49