5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 25, 2005
This review is from: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book that's loaded with so much eye opening information, it's the kind of book that I'll read again. I feel if you don't convert to a whole food plant based diet after reading this book, I don't think anything in the world will convince you....the evidence is just overwhelming.

As for my story, I was on statins for high cholesterol for over 6 years....and a moderate to high dose at that. Over the years, my cholesterol kept rising gradually and my total cholesterol was just over 300 and a triglyceride level in the mid 200's without statins. The moderate/high dose statin brought my cholesterol down to the range of high 190's to low 200's. Over the years, I tried to get off the medication and I was told to try to eat a low fat diet, don't eat shrimp, lobster, etc. I went off the statins, tried this diet for several months and none of this helped....actually my cholesterol went higher....I was told it's hereditary, there's nothing you can do, and I should take the statin and that I would be on them indefinitely. Well, after reading the book "The China Study", there's a few paragraphs tucked in this great book mentioning that the major factor causing high cholesterol is eating any animal protein. The only meat I ate at the time was fish and chicken and small portions of it....and maybe beef a few times a year, if that. I have to say I was skeptical and figured what do I have to lose, so I went on a whole food plant based diet (vegan diet)as Dr. Campbell in the book suggests. I started that last November (same time I stopped taking the statins), and I had my cholesterol checked this past summer and was stunned at the result....my total cholesterol went from over 300 without statins, high 190's/low 200's on moderate/high does statin, to 175 without statins on Vegan diet, with good LDL and HDL. I'm guessing next time it's checked it will be even lower. Also, my triglycerides went from the mid 200's to 64! All as a result of just giving up animal products....amazing. Now I wonder....why wasn't I ever given this option by the doctor's I've seen over the years? Even if a person doesn't want to give up animal products completely as I have, why isn't this advice offered as at least an option to a patient.....and let the patient decide? What a concept!

Of course, I feel my cholesterol and triglycerides levels are just the tip of the iceberg on how my health has improved on a plant based diet....the only regret?....I wish I started the vegan diet earlier....I never have had so much energy and just downright have never felt so good....seriously...this is not an overstatement.

As to all the doubters out there with harsh reviews, I say to each is own but ignore the evidence at your own risk. I've seen many of my friends and family sick by what I feel this book has proven by many studies to be nothing more than a bad diet for the most part and most of them are looking for a magic pill to save them....and the old standby argument that it's all genetic doesn't appear to hold much water either....again, proven by studies in the book.

My friend, family, and co-workers know how I eat now and wonder why I want to live forever....that's not the issue....quality of life over quantity of life...isn't this what we should all be after?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2009 2:32:22 PM PDT
My experience was the opposite. As a trim, athletic familial hypocholesterolemic intolerant of all statins, I went from a being on a decade-long low-fat vegan diet (with high LDLs and low HDls) to eating a Paleo diet (grass-fed meat, vegetables, fruits, and nuts) and doubled my HDLs without increasing my LDL levels (reduced, but still very high). My blood sugar level fell as did my triglycerides (from low to lower) on my meat-heavy diet and my body fat % fell to 8 from 15. At 44, I now am stronger and faster than at anytime since college.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2009 8:30:32 PM PDT
M.K. Reiner says:
I'm not surprised. Check out "Primal Body-Primal Mind" when you get a chance.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 5:42:39 PM PDT
NicheGuy says:
An excellent review of common sense and reality combined to "take a chance" and not trust the medical profession.

My Dr. was more busy sending out referrals and the phone campaign for me to set an appointment with all the specialists was like mass marketing with no regard to anything but tests, tests and more tests.

The proof is in the plant based diet and Doxie is a perfect example of saving oneself from the so-called experts and trusting one expert with credibility and integrity.

Nice work Doxie!

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 11:11:24 AM PDT
E. Conover says:
Well, first of all doctors get no benefit if they "cure" you. There is no money in that! They want to just mask symptoms by feeding us drugs, or try to fix us when they cut you open. That keeps you coming back for office visits time and again. When is the last time you ever went to a doctor and they told you how to fix yourself and not make another appointment to see them in a month or 2?

Posted on Mar 9, 2010 3:11:53 PM PST
A helpful review indeed!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2010 9:17:09 AM PDT
I agree with the review. I have switched to a vegan lifestyle and it's having amazing effects on my cholesterol - down 100 points in three weeks! I do want to say, however, that most all doctors are not practicing just to make more money. Doctors are not trained in nutrition for one thing, and sadly they often don't have confidence that their patients will follow their advice. The system fails us sometimes because the system is bad - for doctors and patients. It's lobbiests for big Pharma, Industrial farming, and the poultry industry who are out for money.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 9:40:29 AM PDT
S. D. James says:
I have had the same experience. I feel like my life has been extended and it keeps getting better. I can't believe that there are some people who will try to make this seem ridiculous or fake when it has such a great benefit for so many. Why do they care if I don't eat meat and dairy? Are they working for the industry or something?

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 10:27:01 PM PST
Silvergirl says:
Thank you for your review. I've been thinking of following a plant based diet, because of all the health issues I am having. I am a diabetic, as was my mother, grandmother, and great grandmother, so the doctors are apt to say it's genetic, but I have read other books about juicing and raw foods that say the body can be healed of diabetes. I plan on watching my blood sugar levels more carefully, and try to wean myself off of my diabetic medications.

I am experiencing gum disease, and many other problems related to my diabetes, and I know I need to be careful, but I do enjoy fruits, vegetables, nuts, and grains, so I think I can do just fine. Thanks for sharing your experience, Doxie, because your words give me hope. I want a better quality of life, too, not just to survive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 4:08:27 AM PST
Silvergirl,
My husband is diabetic and is following Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations on a plant based diet. He and Dr. Campbell believe in the same type of diet, but Dr. F has written more on HOW to do it. It has been shown without a doubt that you can improve your health and , if not "cure" type 2 diabetes, get it well under control using less meds than you probably are. To do it you have to get your weight way down while making sure you are getting proper nutrition. Amazingly, the diet is very very satisfying. Are you taking insulin? If so I urge you to read everything Dr. F has written on Diabetes.
Best of luck!