5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely LOVE it!, July 30, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p (Electronics)
We recently bought a Roku XD box (right before Roku 2 came out) and we absolutely love it. Hundreds of free channels from all over the world. Buy Roku once, and -- as long as you have a TV (even an old one, like ours) and an Internet connection -- you have free television shows and movies... lots of them.

See, absolutely anyone can create a channel for Roku and -- as long as they have hosting to meet bandwidth demands -- they can place the channel on Roku, free. (Assuming it meets Roku's quality standards, of course.)

As a result, there are all kinds of great niche channels created by enthusiasts for things like surfing, rock climbing, old-time drive-in movies, etc.

Lately, we've seen a lot of Christian programming added, which makes Roku attractive for many people who want more faith-friendly programs. Menorah TV is also on Roku. And, BYU-TV just added their channel, which means we can see "Dogs with Jobs" every evening... among other cool shows, like genealogy shows, history programs, and sports.

More recreational and fitness programming is arriving, and there are so many (mostly English) channels from Asian countries, they have their own category among the hundreds of Roku channels.

I love watching France24 news and other international news shows, live (and in English). My weather channel is now Roku's feed from Weather Underground... so it's for my exact town instead of the nearest city, complete with fresh-every-five-minutes satellite and radar images.

Though it's only part of what we watch, we have Netflix on our Roku programming. It costs the same as Netflix does on your computer (if you already have Netflix service, you don't pay anything extra), and you can also add things like Hulu Plus and Amazon's streaming programming.

But, except for Netflix, everything else we watch is free. That means, after buying the Roku box (less than a month's cable TV bill), we pay nothing extra for our TV service. It's saving us over $100/month in cable TV bills, with far better programming and crisper images. Most channels have little or no commercial interruptions, too. Almost all of them are on-demand, as well.

We can also access things like Picasa, Pandora, and Facebook via Roku. Lots of options!

The only negative to this -- and we hope this is short-term -- is that there's no closed captioning. (However, the hundreds of anime features on Crackle have subtitles... and that programming is free.) I'm pretty sure the channels and Roku are working on this.

All in all, I have no idea how cable TV will compete with things like Roku. Between the price (free) and the range of great programs we can watch, we will never go back to cable TV.

Roku + an Internet connection + a TV (even an old one) = free TV!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2011 8:20:50 AM PDT
50's girl says:
This was an absolutely excellent review helping to inform a prospective buyer. I think the most important point next to price for the Roku and the quality of the picture produced (and ease if set up for us non-techies) is what are the available applications. No one mentions more than a couple which we already know about, e.g. Netflix, Amazon etc. The only thing we watch on our cable Comcast is 6 o'clock Fox News and ocasionally a western or a law and order - otherwise my husband plays DVDs of Andre Rieu and I watch Netflix "Lost" (several times now because i can't find anything comparable) and the nature and political programs (all streaming as I cancelled the DVDs when price doubled). So as far as I am concerned, this review closed the deal. After I receive the unit and try it out and see if I can really get some good news programming, I too will cancel cable since 95 % we do not watch. Many many thanks!

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 4:15:44 PM PDT
M. Morales says:
You can put an antenna up and get over the air TV free to add local news, network shows, etc... Over the air HD TV is the best picture you'll see besides a Blu-Ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 7:12:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2011 7:13:42 AM PDT
50's girl says:
thank you for your advice - I had been thinking about whether these indoor antennas actually worked!! Years ago "bunny ears" is all a person had and when cable came, it was wonderful because at last we could get a clear tv picture. With the indoor antenna, can it also capture stations such as Fox and Friends which here in Lynchburg Virginia is on cable 26?? That is what my husband likes!!

Vera S. Henderson

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 12:53:34 PM PDT
Close captioing is coming with Roku 2 version

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 1:59:00 PM PDT
50's girl says:
I'm not sure what close captioning is - is that when the words spoken by the actors are also written at the bottom of the picture for some who can't hear, or can't understand exactly etc.?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 2:16:41 PM PDT
Yes, you are correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 8:35:59 AM PDT
50's girl says:
I have another question perhaps you can help me with. I have a wireless adapter that came with my LG HDTV I bought last summer and it has several built in apps: Netflix, Vudu, U-Tube, Cinemanow etc., (that's about it) What I am wondering is whether this ROKU will interfere with my current wireless adapter - does something have to be turned on or off?? Or can I just get, for example, Netflix, through either my LG wireless Adapter or the ROKU?? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 9:08:15 AM PDT
Hello, they both work independently. You should not have to turn off the adapter on the LG for the Roku to work. You should be able to view Netflix through each.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 9:14:13 AM PDT
50's girl says:
Thanks - that should cinch it - also I presume I can move it, for example, to my husband's tv which is not connected to the internet. You have been a huge help - Lots of sales clerks in electronics don't know anything - the customer reviews and comments are enormously helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 9:18:05 AM PDT
Yes, you can move the Roku box and it should pickup your wireless network with no issue. I find out that I know more than the sales clerks. I look for information just as you are doing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (2,536 customer reviews)
 (1,598)