5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another book on parenting tips and tricks, March 23, 2010
This review is from: Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents (Hardcover)
To lump this book in with the myriad other books on parenting would be doing both the book and the reader a disservice. Raising Happiness goes beyond 'parenting' - it's truly a book on how to create a happiness lifestyle, and in turn raise happy kids. I enjoy Dr. Carter's anecdotes, but also appreciate that all her happiness advice is rooted in scientific study; both social and medical. This is the book that I will not only reread (and enjoy each time) but will keep on my bedside table and refer to time and time again when I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and potentially down. Thank you for this book, for your insights, and for the happiness guidance. I have been implementing suggestion after suggestion, and to my delight, my children are flourishing and I'm a happier mom because of it! I will be recommending this to friends, giving this book for baby showers, and sharing the insights with my husband. And reading it again. And then probably again. And perhaps one more time for good luck!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2013 8:51:39 PM PST
Thanks for your review. I don't have kids, so that's good it's not just for parents. I saw Dr. Carter on The Doctor Oz Show. Are there more golden nuggets than what she revealed on the show in the book? She talked about smiling, yawning, gratitude, sunshine, good mood food, and hugging. Those first two in particular were real eye-openers for boosting happiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 8:04:04 AM PST
Allison Frey says:
Mr. Hatch - I didn't see the segment with Dr. Carter on the DR OZ show, so I can't compare the content of the show vs. the book. I can tell you that it is, for the most part, a parenting book with a lot of great advice for parents on how to increase their own happiness, and thereby helping their children lead happy lives. It's a lot about taking time for yourself, going out with friends, establishing alone time for you and your partner, and finding your own passion in life (whatever that may be) so your children can see you living an authentic life. So as a general happiness book, it's probably a bit more parenting-focused than what you may be looking for, but it's full of helpful insights on how to live in a happy home. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Allison

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 2:33:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 2:37:38 PM PST
Thanks Allison. I don't think I'll be getting this book. You should see the segment I spoke of. You can view the clips on the Oz website. Never thought in a million years that yawning several times in a row could give you a mood boost. Maybe she talked about this stuff on her blog. That's probably where I'm more likely to find the info I'm seeking. Dr. Carter is very insightful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2014 6:11:24 PM PST
Michael you may get more out of Dr. Brene Brown's book Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, which is similarly scientifically focused and full of actual usable information. Dr. Brown has given two TED Talks that are very popular, you can find them by searching for her on the TEDTalks website to get a taste of what her style is like & see if you'd find that useful. I'm hoping Dr. Brown puts a parenting book out (she is also a mother), and looking at this one by Dr. Carter as possibly one to build a parenting-specific community-building discussion group around (handy that it is 10 chapters and school is in session for 10 months, so a group can follow the school year and focus on one chapter/month). I have Daring Greatly in both a Kindle and Audible (they do the WhisperSync thing) and the narration on the audiobook is quite good.

Good luck on your journey of personal improvement :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2014 8:02:43 PM PST
Thank you, Dragon Mama. I'll take a look at the TED Talks. Those talks can be addicting. How much do you actually remember from them, though? That's the thing.. is retaining it all and remembering to implement it in our own lives.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›