Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Fooled...pleasantly, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight [+digital booklet] (MP3 Music)
I'm a huge Joe B fan and like almost anything he does. I was excited when I heard that he was releasing this album. When the samples showed up on Amazon, I ran thru them all and was decidedly disappointed. Not sure why I felt that way, but today when I could buy the MP3's, I did so, strictly on his rep.
WOW! Played entire songs thru my Sennheiser HD598s and was wildly thrilled with the driving music that I could now clearly hear.
Really simple advice, if you even kinda like Joe B., BUY THIS ALBUM. I think some of the songs could be huge popular crossover hits. But what do I know? I'm just a 63YO grandpa who has loved almost any kind of music all my life with favs in rock/blues.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2012 2:58:41 PM PDT
Sue Nami says:
I have to second Ken A's comments, this cd really deserves the benefit of a set of headphones. I don't know why but a casual listen does not do it justice.

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:35:29 PM PDT
Brad Vanek says:
Ken,
had to comment..... (I'm 63 and love JB's music and have followed him a long time) Also have a preference for R&B, clean Rock, country, and so on down the line. I'm not entrenched in any style as long as it's pleasing to my ears and includes good musicianship. Don't much care for the overwhelming vocals that seem to be so popular today. I haven't heard "Driving Towards the Daylight" yet, except for the samples, (which actually sound very good to me). Certainly with your review and my sampling, this looks like a typical JB winner. I love his clean (single) guitar blues and also his acoustic stuff. His voice just adds the finishing touch.
I play original cds and burned cd's (from wave files)through my PA, (Behringer mixer and amp) a pair each of Peavy and JBL speakers. Live sound equipment from my old playing days. It sounds quite nice and you can really get thoroughly immersed in sound. (Sound you both hear and feel.) It's located in my man cave as part of my specially built deck and back yard ( I live in a rural area but still have to accommodate my wife who generally doesn't appreciate my music). I guess I'll grow up when I'm 64 (as the old song goes)
thanks for the review, we are similar (except I haven't turned over my ears to the mp3 sound yet) I still think LP's produce the best sound, (what you can often distinguish when listening through the better sound equipment) It's all about convenience in today's world, so I am not totally a purest..... lossless cd's are pretty decent when done right.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 6:03:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 6:04:51 PM PDT
Just another mature (LOL) JB fan. He is never disappointing. He keeps old people rocking and rolling! JB's been close to my soul since I first chanced upon him on Sirius radio when I bought my Chrysler 300 (my first old guy car). It is six years later and we've seen him live eight or nine times and last time it was in the front row. I traded the Chrysler 300 in on a Dodge Challenger R/T in 08'

Oh. . .BTW download the music and turn up "Who's Been Talking" then let it slide into "I got all You Need". It will cleanse your karma and feed your soul another reason to keep smiling. Actually don't stop there, repeat as necessary. Thank you Joe and Friends!

Posted on May 25, 2012 8:23:48 AM PDT
P. A. Reese says:
I've been following him for awhile now, and new he was a geat player, but just never fully caught my attention. With this release, I am now onboard. Smokin, great release. No doubt, will be in my summer rotation of music play.

Posted on May 25, 2012 10:38:55 PM PDT
Dusty Rhodes says:
Gee I feel like a kid among friends (57). My order is tied to the new Neil Young album (6/5 seems far away). I am a huge JB fan since Albert Hall concert. Enjoyed seeing Letterman fall off his seat when JB was on this week. That's how I feel, pure amazement and joy. Ken A, I agree, headphones are the way to listen to Bomamassa's divine genius. I just purchased Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones. Great sound, great 1/2 price on Amazon.com. Looking forward to meeting Joe's kindred fans at a live concert.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 8:59:34 AM PDT
I think Ken's comments are spot on. I also did a quick review of the tracks when the album was released and came away a little disappointed. I'm a big Joe B. fan however and I went ahead and purchased the album anyway, hoping the tracks would grow on me. What I found was the samples didn't do the album justice. He sticks to his blues/rock roots but in my opinion he leans more on the rock side of the equation this time around. And yes, headphones are the way to go.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:34:08 AM PDT
Love JB as well, and did not realize the clarity with which HEADPHONES offer! OH MY GOD! I am smiling along with everyone else at your comment - I'm a 56 year old teenage rock & roll mom (no grandma yet, as I have 16 yr old twins!!!), having had great bands myself, and having been in several others. Although career took me into teaching English, writing, doing other things, my heart and soul is firmly rooted in jazz blues and rock & roll. I have now - a 16 yr old son who is on his way to following somewhat in the same footsteps - a brilliant young musician with the heart and mindfulness of a progressive rocker. When I first heard JB a couple of years ago- on a PBS Special of all things, I began buying/ downloading his music. It was reminiscent of the best jazz/blues/rock music I listened too all those many moons ago----and thought my son's band should hear him. Mom made a CD, slipped it into his selection of music, gave it to his friends too. This summer, I heard his best friend playing one of Joe Bonamassa's songs. My jaw dropped and I have not been able to pick it up :-) "Driving" is the best adjective to describe JB's work, but I like watching him play too. Haven't seen him in person, but it'd be a treat. What I want to know is, why on EARTH haven't radio stations picked him up? could be that the trash radio I have around me (Southern Coastal CT) is all drone/droid/programmed Clear Channel crap, but I do listen to and sample everything. Reception is pretty bad in some spots, so I do on long drives bring a stack of CDs. But I savor the headphone experience for listening at home when I'm writing/doing research. Out in the open air, my old but excellent BOSE bookcase speakers do a VERY DECENT JOB of spreading out the nuances of JB's work, and in my "girl cave" (hah, that doesn't sound right...) at my desk - my JVC system does the old BOSE one step better. I'm not so much of a purist audiophile that it has to replicate the concert-hall sound---even though it does sound HUGELY better I will agree! I like JB so much, that I'm content to hear this bright and powerful music even on crappy Dell computer speakers too! (but don't recommend it, just if that's all you got, that's all you need). Thank you again Ken A - loved the comments!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 12:32:07 PM PDT
Dusty Rhodes says:
Thanks D. Taylor. I just sent this cd to a friend who is (inexplicably) listening ONLY to Willie Nelson (I like, but exclusively?) and the type of music in West Virginia. He's in for a treat. I'm going to phone our local (most, but not really) progressive radio station, KFOG. They should be playing this. Anyone any ideas what would be best track for radio play? I know. Let's make Joe more accessible to more people. I hope he comes back to Oakland, Ca. I didn't get to see him last time he was here.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 6:52:02 AM PST
FANTASTIC ALBUM ....welcome to the 21st century old man!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:06:47 PM PST
Brad Vanek says:
If any one is interested take a look at the Joe B. "Live from Nowhere in Particular" 2 cd set. This is very well done and sonically impressive. One cd is acoustic stuff and simply amazing. Out of his three major live productions (Live From Albert Hall and Live from Beacon Theater being the other two) I think this one stands out above the others.....very clear/clean and excellent sound engineering.

also I now own "Driving Towards the Daylight" and have soaked it in for several months. IMO his best studio cd to date.

Deb, you mentioned Bose so I always like to comment on my Old Bose 901's with matched equalizer/conditioner (Part of the Bose 901's back then). I have never found a more unique and impressive pair of passive speakers. (non-powered). yes you need a good amp to a drive and appreciate them, but they were simply well ahead of their time. They have lost popularity due to active speakers and the fact that they are "reflecting" speakers (need a good solid wall to bounce off from) The sweet spot was hard to arrange but when you got it right simply the best, most unique sound I have ever heard. Still have them, but need to get the "conditioner" repaired.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›