5.0 out of 5 stars Another High Quality Disney Release!, August 21, 2012
This review is from: The Rescuers: 35th Anniversary Edition (The Rescuers / The Rescuers Down Under) (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging) (Blu-ray)
For those of you interested in the technical reality of this new Blu-ray release... Rest assured, this collection belongs on your movie shelf! I have always thought The Rescuers looked horribly bad on home video, from the VHS tapes to the DVD's, so I was very intrigued to see what this Blu-ray release would turn out. I was absolutely blown away by the level of quality showcased here! Crisp, clear, and beautifully rendered... The opening charcoal paintings in the credits have a real vibrancy to them, almost as if the viewer is looking at the original drawings. Bernard, Bianca, Penny, and the rest of these timeless characters literally jump off the screen, and I have no qualms saying that they have NEVER looked more alive than they do here on this release. I bought this title solely for this movie and I consider my money well spent. On to The Rescuers Down Under! Initially, I was more underwhelmed with this transfer than the original Rescuers. The overall picture looked bland and some scenes are not nearly as crisp as I saw in The Rescuers or other Disney Blu-ray releases. However, after viewing standard def 90s 'documentary' (featured as an extra on this release) on the making of this sequel, I realize what a stark upgrade the high definition transfer gives us! Yes, the palette is mostly in the realm of neutral colors with vibrant hues being a rare occurrence, but I doubt the video quality will ever look better than it does here without a complete overhaul of the original source elements. The worst the film looks is in the first five to ten minutes. Once Bernard and Bianca are on their journey to Australia, the quality most certainly improves. If I were to give out ratings based solely on the visual appearance, The Rescuers gets 5/5 stars and its sequel, 3.5/5 stars. However, fans of either or both movies will not walk away unimpressed! Buy this today because it deserves its home in your Disney Blu-ray collection!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2012 8:00:30 PM PDT
I guess I'll have to supply pictures comparing the Blu-ray with the theatrical print so that consumers can really SEE how Disney has robbed us of the opportunity to see "The Rescuers" like it was meant to be seen. Regardless of how clean the picture looks, the recycled home video print doesn't do justice in any way, shape or form to the theatrical print. Easy enough to prove with pictures, so I'll make sure to do so soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 7:25:28 AM PDT
I don't believe we were 'robbed.' Most of us regular consumers are not videophiles, we just want to make sure we aren't spending $30 bucks on a crappy transfer, like The Fox and the Hound. The only thing I ask from any Blu-ray, Disney or otherwise, is that it looks crisp and clear and beautiful on my television. Disney has pleased me with this release, so I don't see the point in trying to find some little detail to be unhappy with.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 11:14:50 AM PDT
"Little detail"? The fact that from beginning to end the film displays the incorrect colors everywhere? I don't see how that is a little detail, when it affects the entire visual appeal of the film.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 5:27:27 PM PDT
J. Lynne says:
@Taran Wanderer

Please DO supply those prints! Not because I am too obsessed with the original coloring (I was born 10 years after the theatrical release so I've only ever known the home video versions and don't mind), but because I'm interested in seeing the difference for educational purposes (I'm curious what shades things are supposed to be). Anyhow, I understand your huge disappointment with Disney's oversight of the film, but I look at it this way: at least they are releasing it again and in high enough quality to at least look good compared to past releases home releases. It might be a shame that new audiences will never see it in its original glory, but at least they will be seeing the movie. At least they will come to know the story and the characters. Again, I see where you are coming from, but I also think your comments read as very negative, as if you are purposely deterring people from reveling in something they've been waiting for simply because they aren't videophiles (as pointed out by Alexander Miley). You say at the end of your review that people SHOULD buy it, but then you go and comment with biting criticism on reviews where people are impressed with the new upscale and happy to have a decent home copy of a movie(s) they love.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 5:40:45 PM PDT
I'll be happy to supply images comparing the new Blu-ray print with originals from the theatrical release. Unfortunately, the software I previously used to alter the image based on the originals I don't have any more so I'll have to either replace it or find a new method. I found one of my old comparison images, which I can upload to the costumer images so people can see the huge difference between the 2012 clean-up version and the theatrical film (the difference is major).

Yes, I do believe people should buy it because Disney needs to be conscious that the film SELLS. Aside from that, it is probably the best and last release that the film will see in physical media, and in streaming, Disney will likely recycle this mediocre version. I honestly think the most faithful version of the film was the 1992, though that one was still flawed) and this latest release significantly improves upon the other two.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 8:22:35 PM PDT
Taran Wanderer, I am not interested in any attempt at an argument in such a forum. This is my opinion, obviously it is not yours. I felt strongly enough about this release to take the time to write a review of the product and if you feel just as passionately, go write your own review and take your discussion there.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 8:26:15 PM PDT
And lastly, I just viewed your images and correlated them with the scenes on my television screen. I don't know what Blu-ray players or televisions you are equipped with, but the Blu-ray scenes look just as bright and colorful as these so called 'original prints.' This is all I am interested in commenting on concerning this matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 9:13:00 PM PDT
Those captures are not taken from the Blu-ray, but from the 2003 DVD, which used the exact same print, only without clean-up. Naturally, the scenes are going to look brighter on an HDTV, or even a regular television set, but that's pretty much what they will look like when viewed on a computer DVD-Rom player. The comparison made is not to emphasize the difference in brightness, but rather in color shades and hues which is the main issue with this release. As for writing my own review, I already did. If you're not interested in the discussion, you can choose to bypass it. My last comment was made to J. Lynne, not you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›