5.0 out of 5 stars This is outperforming 2 D-Link access points!, March 28, 2011
This review is from: Belkin N600 Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router (Latest Generation) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, let me say that I'm a big D-Link fan and I haven't had much experience with Belkin (outside of their power strips and surge protectors). As far as routers & access points go, I've always considered them to be a 'second tier' manufacturer.

Given that background, I wasn't expecting much from this N600 DB - but I have been seriously impressed.

Before the N600 DB, my house was setup with two D-Link access points (a DAP-1522 and a DIR-655). Both are setup with identical settings (other than the channel) so I can roam around the house and get good coverage pretty much anywhere.

When I opened up the N600 DB, I immediately changed the settings to be identical to my D-Link access points. Then I disabled the D-Links and roamed around the house using a wireless signal meter. The first time around, I actually thought I had forgotten to disable one of the D-Links because the coverage was so good - but I did confirm that this Belkin N600 DB provides better coverage than both of my D-Link devices combined (I also tested them individually and got the same result).

Aside from the great coverage, here are some features that I like about the Belkin N600 DB:

1) It has a setting to enable a guest wireless account. This is a nice feature if you want guests to be able to access the Internet without having access to your home network. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me since I'm using the Belkin as an access point instead of a router.

2) It is dual-band capable.

3) It can be set to 'access point' mode, which disables the firewall and other filtering features. This works great for me since I have another router anyway.

4) If you use WPS, you'll be happy to see that this router has a convenient WPS button right on the front instead of having it either hidden on the back or in the firmware configuration.

5) It includes a USB port that can be used to share a network printer. My printers are already on the network, but the built-in print server is a great option if you are still sharing your printer from a PC.

Although I've been impressed by the Belkin N600 DB, there are a couple of problems I've run into:

1) The biggest issue for me is that this router can't be mounted to the wall. I like to keep stuff mounted and out of the way - but that's not an option with the N600.

2) When saving configuration changes, the N600 takes a long time to reboot - about 45 seconds. This reminds me of routers I used several years ago; but seems like a long time for modern devices.

3) Although the configuration pages weren't overly dificult to navigate, I do prefer the D-Link setup. To be fair, that may just be an issue of familiarity.

Overall, I highly recommend the Belking N600 DB. The wireless coverage is nothing short of amazing - so I'm able to say goodbye to having multiple wireless access points in the house just to get coverage everywhere.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2011 9:56:52 AM PDT
Hello D. Matheny,

Thank you for writing your review. We are happy to hear that you were able to replace your two access points with our router. This router is designed to provide maximum coverage and speed. Your list of pros and cons is great and will definitely be passed along through the company for others to read and note for future products. If there is anything else you would like to share we definitely welcome the input. Please write to us at customercare@belkin.com.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 10:29:32 AM PDT
Hello again D. Matheny,

Thanks again for writing your review.

We wanted to come back and let you know that we just issued a firmware update for your Belkin N600 Router. You can update the firmware on your router easily by clicking on the Belkin Router Manager software icon in your system tray and choosing "Check for Updates" from the menu and follow the simple prompts. You can also download the update by visiting the Belkin support website at belkin.com/support, clicking on the routers link and use the drop down menus to choose your model router.

If you have any questions regarding the update or update process don't hesitate to let us know by writing us at customercare@belkin.com.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 7:23:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2011 9:01:00 AM PDT
Vista says:
When I just bought a Belkin n600 router and in new condition. I had it for at least two weeks and it now doesn't want to work. The only problem I did was letting the router connect to the modem and then I unplug the wire router power plug and plug it back in. Now won't pick up any wifi or nothing, it only turn on but show a very low purple light(low blinking light which can't see that good) on top of it. The purple light lasted for a very long time. I'm really disappointed about Belkin router, if so can help my situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 12:08:20 AM PDT
Hello Vista,

Please write to us at customercare@belkin.com and we will definitely resolve this issue for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 9:15:28 AM PST
D. Cranmer says:
I am having the same issue with the purple light and pressing Reset does nothing. Why can't Belkin include information about the purple light in the user manual?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 7:52:58 PM PST
A. Matos says:
I am experiencing this same problem. I just got my router at Christmas. What did they do for you?

Posted on May 1, 2012 2:41:39 PM PDT
I'm on my second Belkin router and got a purple light after just a 2-month useage each time. Since I kept the box this second time hopefully I can return. Whatever you do....DO NOT buy this product, maybe even stay away from this brand to be safe!!!!

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 6:30:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2014 6:31:10 PM PDT
G.Campbell says:
This router (N600) is really bad. It was working for just over a year and now it's starting to have connectivity issues where there is a long message saying "waiting to load". I also disconnected my router and connected directly to my modem and I had no issues. I noticed a definite improvement in performance and snappiness once I had a direct connection through the modem.

I do not recommend buying this modem used or new, any where. I bought this router at a large warehouse store that has a fantastic return policy, I will try to get my money back as this device is inherently defective. I won't be buying Belkin again, that's for sure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (1,829 customer reviews)

$79.99 $64.99
Reviewer

D. Matheny
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Austin, TX