5.0 out of 5 stars best Linksys router yet!, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Linksys N300 Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Linksys Connect Including Parental Controls & Advanced Settings (E1200) (Personal Computers)
I've used Linksys home routers for more than a decade and this is by far the best one yet in every respect. I didn't bother with their fancy new guided configuration software as I'm an experienced user. (I do suspect that inexperienced users might be almost as intimidated by the nifty new setup software, which transports the desired configuration to each new computer via a thumb drive, as they were by the older setup procedure; but that's another story). But I swear that the manual configuration took no longer than getting the shrink wrap off the outer box and undoing the twisty-ties -- reset the admin password, give the SSID a name, select security type, and set a network password. That's it -- all other factory pre-sets are exactly what you need and would expect. Total time for manual setup once the shrink wrap was off -- perhaps 3 minutes at most, and most of that spent crawling under the desk to plug it in. As I used the same SSID and network password as the old Linksys box I was replacing, all the machines actually rejoined the new network and router by themselves (and switched from G to N protocol) as soon as I entered the network password into the router control panel, with no prompting. And finally, the new packaging, even though it shouldn't really matter that much, is nothing short of breathtaking. If you're used to staring at the funny blue box on 4 legs with the two ear antennae, suddenly you enter the 21st century with this new box -- everyone familiar with Linksys products wants to touch it as if it's fine jewlery! It must be only 20% of the volume of the old box. A real triumph of industrial design, quite aside from the hardware and software.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2011 4:46:00 PM PDT
thank you for your review. Could you tell me whether this product comes with a one-year free technical support?

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:46:42 AM PST
SC says:
As an IT person I'd say it's really convenient, straight-forward and quick setting it up the manual way. I setup one of these the other day for someone and didn't even bother to look at CD, and I still don't know what's on there or even care. Manual setup is a breeze.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 11:56:47 AM PST
CJS123 says:
Thanks for a helpful review. Currently have the older Linksys WRT54G2 and I don't remember for sure when I bought it, just know that it is time for a new router. Use WiFi for Roku and Kindle and have 3 desktop PC's (2 work/1 home) connected via ethernet. As a telecommuter, I don't want any problems getting a new router up and running. Will definitely consider this one.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:54:54 PM PST
Chanceroos says:
Uhmmm GREAT REVIEW.....OK I admit I'm clueless. I live in rural Nevada, have to have (Satellite)Hughesnet connected for my PC, and want something to send a WiFi signal to my notebook(using my Hughesnet signal). What do I buy? Installer was very helpful - said "Be sure it's passworded that's all". I guess I just need to find out what "it" is? Will this product work for me?

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 2:43:10 PM PDT
I bought this router to replace a dead 120N after maybe 2 years. My tiny network consists of two hard-wired computers and one wireless scanner/printer that worked perfectly with the old router till it suddenly died.

Now the new router works with only one computer and cannot connect with the Samsung SCX-5635 at all from either computer. Both computers have wireless built in and used it to connect to the printer/scanner. The Cisco software insists that neither computer has wireless capability.

Attempts to try the Cisco live chat were complete failures. Someone called Nova (17169) was useless as a ball peen hammer to launch a space shuttle. Terribly inefficient and very poor training.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled the unit several times. Have done everything suggested. The Cisco jerk said after failing to understand anything about the installation even after MANY posts with specific details that he didn't have the expertise to do a walk through of a basic installation. Assuming that this loser was typical of what Cisco would put on the phone for $30 or $40.00 for a real person, I wrote off the effort to a waste of time and a bad choice of product. Am yanking it, putting it back in its box, and throwing it back to Office Depot in exchange for anything from a competitor.

I cannot recommend Cisco at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 7:08:19 AM PDT
Ray Sullivan says:
Sorry to hear about your experience, but that is 180 degrees from what I experienced on 2 recent calls for support. I called twice for assistance with difficulties in connecting an older as well as a newer model range extender to my network. After lengthy conversations with 2 very helpful, English-speaking and knowledgeable techs in the Phillipines, it was determined that my very old 54GL/dd-wrt primary router may not be able to interface with either of the old/newer 54G extenders one of which also contains the dd-wrt firmware. On the last call the tech was able to offer me a very inexpensive/discounted new E1200 Linksys router that "should have no trouble" linking to my newer range extender. I'm awaiting its arrival. At first I did attempt the live chat but found it to be less helpful. IMHO, Linksys still has the best routers on the market. I do not work for nor am I a shill for Linksys/Cisco BTW.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 10:05:38 AM PDT
Admin says:
What's the default ip on this router?

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 3:41:56 AM PDT
PILIF83 says:
Hello.
I have a question about the E1200 router:
1. Is there a possibility to turn off the wireless while I'm not using it ? I mean a physical button or a software option to establish a time range during the day in which the wireless to be enabled . I know I can power off the entire device , but I don't know if that is safe for the router with time.
(that is because I'm afraid of radiation and I don't want to be exposed all the time )
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:29:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 11:03:00 AM PDT
Starman says:
Einstein received the Nobel Prize more than a century ago for proving that only radiation of more than a certain energy threshold can break chemical bonds, the only known mechanism by which health damage can occur in living beings. X-rays are capable of this; the radio frequencies used by routers are millions of times below the needed threshold. Unless a century of physics is wrong, the router poses no conceivable health danger. Or to phrase it another way, your home is currently and always has been saturated 24/7 by radio waves from commerical radio and TV stations -- why not also worry about those health impacts?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:47:14 PM PST
JCNY says:
This comes with a 90 day tech support. Excellent item though so you shouldn't need more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›