5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Little Ones -- a review of Leapfrog 'Storybook Factory', December 10, 2005
This review is from: LeapFrog: Learn to Read at the Storybook Factory (DVD)
In the Product Description it says that this video is for the 3 to 6 year old age range, but having children in that range myself, I can tell you that this is incorrect. For unlike the other Leapfrog videos, this one is really meant for older children who are either on the verge of reading, or who have just started reading.

I say this from observation of my son (3.5) and daughter (5.5) and their friends. Those of them that are almost reading, or who are sounding out short words and sentences, understand the importance of punctuation and 'get' the songs and the points of the story which emphasize inflection and reading naturally (chunking).

For the younger ones it just passes over their heads which is perfectly understandable since they haven't a good idea of what sentences and paragraph structure is all about.

Five Stars. It's short, but for the right kids it's an invaluable tool for teaching about story structure and reading. Young children will watch Lily, Tad and the gang, but don't expect them to learn much.

But buy this video. If you have the other videos (which are amazing) go ahead and get this one to go along with them. When the time is right, your child will just absorb this information like they did their letters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2010 11:12:55 AM PST
You first have to start them with the Letter Factory and then the talking words. After they have watched those for a few weeks they are ready for this one. My son is 3 turning 4 and already he is reading because of these movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2010 10:41:14 AM PDT
One should always remember that children develop at different levels. The reviewer claims this is for older children, which is a blanket statement at best. Many kids are already reading chapter books at the age of 4. This product is indeed age appropriate, you just need to be aware of your child's learning level...

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 9:30:31 AM PST
Merlin says:
Just because not all children will be ready for reading yet does not mean it is labeled incorrectly. Many 3 year olds ARE ready for this. My daughter is 3.5 and starting to read. I expect my she will learn quite a bit from this. That is why they label things with an age RANGE. Children learn at different rates and will all be ready for this step at different times.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 10:42:05 AM PST
Merlin,
You are absolutely correct. My three year old can write his alphabet already. He LOVES this DVD. I think any three year old child, regardless of skill/knowledge level stands to gain something from this (or any of the) Leap Frog video(s).

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 8:56:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 9:13:27 AM PST
aaa-Pam says:
Well, I guess this review wasn't very clear and I would change it, except it's a little tacky to do so after people have made comments. Makes things to incongruous.

However, if you read it carefully you'll see that we are essentially in agreement; and what I said was that this video was for children "that are almost reading". And my point was that the Leapfrog's category of 3 to 6 years of age had to be taken with a grain of salt because children develop differently.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2013 9:55:12 AM PDT
I have children in my home they are all 2's we love watching leap frogs they do their abcs sounds not all but some depends on their part of 2's we count with math circus we listen to 3 pigs my gbaby knows that by heart, abc, identities letters and her numbers to ten yes we work w he r alot cause she wants to but we also work with the others and they are above for there age leapfrog is the main tv in my house they dont need to watch tv but to listen is to learn good luck to all

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 12:07:47 PM PST
Rae O says:
This was exactly the information I was looking for...my 4 yr old is not at the 'almost ready to read' stage, and I had a feeling this DVD would be over her head. I'm going to check out word factory first and revisit this one when she is ready to make the leap. Thanks for the helpful review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (153 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01