4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect keyboard., October 4, 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Personal Computers)
I bought this keyboard because they've been pushing pair programming at work and they want everybody's workstation to have 2 keyboards (whole different topic). Regardless, I took this as an opportunity to shop for a new keyboard to use at work. First, I ordered a Logitech Wave, what a miserable pile that was. I could not get over 90wpm on that keyboard. Now yes, I know, 90wpm is pretty good, but the keyboard kept frustrating me and I could not get in rhythm with it. So I went to Best Buy and got this. And I must say...WOW! I had a comfort 3000 already and loved it, but I did not expect this keyboard to feel so good. On my first try at [...] I hit 136wpm! The keyboard's keys are provide incredible feedback and feel amazing going at high speeds, it really is hard to describe. The rubberized palm rest makes the keyboard a joy to use for long hours at a time, and the curve the comfort's are known for makes sure that the extended reach keys (b,n, etc.) are elongated enough to make them easier to reach and unlike the split keyboards, the spacebar feels like a normal spacebar with no extra effort required.

The downsides:
I'm a professional software developer so having good sized function keys is an absolute must. On this keyboard, they are small and slightly recessed. There is also very little separation between the groups as is normal on most keyboards (1-4,5-8,9-12) which makes it hard to find the one you want without looking. This might also be a pain for gamers. The function keys also seem to go down deeper than the regular keys putting a small amount of extra strain on my wrists. My other complaint is about the mouse, while it is small than the average Microsoft mouse, it is still quite comfortable in your hands, but the scroll wheel is annoying. I personally prefer a scroll wheel that clicks, and this one is smooth with no clicking. Again, this might be my preference as a programmer as I like more predictability when scrolling as most development environments scroll by line instead of pixel, but it was an annoyance to me.

So overall, for typing, the keyboard is my absolute favorite keyboard of all time. For other things such as hitting F-keys and scrolling, I guess I'll have to get used to them. The Windows 7 function keys are nice I guess, but even though I do use Win7 (legal MSDN version of course), I find no use for them. The other little feature I like is that the usb dongle is a very small flash drive sized stick and not those long mouse looking things of the past. In the end, every person needs to make up their own opinion when it comes to keyboard preferences because keyboards are like chairs and mattresses, it is highly dependent on what you like.

In the end, with all the bitching and moaning I do with the F keys and mouse, I'm contemplating buying another one to use at home.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2009 2:31:01 PM PST
ThomasH says:
I quote from your review: "so having good sized function keys is an absolute must", and I deeply agree. But if this is an absolute must, how would you explain a 4-star rating, considering a miss of a feature called an "absolute must"? I agree with you on the issue, these F-keys are completely unsbale for me. Thus automatically the rating from me is one-star. I see no alternative! I am packing the keyboard for an return as we speak.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 8:55:10 AM PST
Citizen John says:
M. Alonso,

Really helpful review. With such items I like it broken down into upsides and downsides just as you've done. I guess I'll buy it because I don't use the F keys much at all, but I need something better than the piece of junk that came with my computer. Thanks.

John

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 1:31:40 PM PDT
Ryan says:
The mouse does click, but it is pretty stiff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 6:10:12 PM PST
M. Alonso says:
You're absolutely right, looks like I had a foot in mouth moment. While I do think the f-sized keys are way too small, I have acclimatized myself to find the one I need, and I still love the way I can handle this keyboard. Having tried a bunch of other keyboards, that "feel" is enough to outweigh the f keys

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 1:26:29 PM PDT
M. James says:
Sorry to contradict you, but no Ryan, the mouse does NOT click. The stiffness though wears of after a few days use.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 6:31:54 PM PST
C. Sprickman says:
Speaking of programming, if you are in an environment where you're using an editor like "vim" that requires frequent use of the ESC key, note that that key is, like the function keys, tiny and hard to reach. The F keys and the ESC also have a totally different feel than the rest of the keyboard - less feedback, less travel, much more force required.

I'll also vouch for total OS-X compatibility (but sadly if you use Win7 in a VM, none of the "special" keys work, nor does horizontal scrolling). This is an issue with VMWare I assume.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 1:25:57 PM PDT
D. Favela says:
If you find that other one to use at home, please let us know! I also bought a logitech keyboard that turned out to be a piece of crap (no responsiveness to things I typed for seconds at a time...) even though I've had a wireless logitech keyboard back in 2003-2007 that worked just fine...

... but I'm also searching for that common sense from manufacturers, so if you find that keyboard, it would be much appreciated for you to share.

Hey, companies/world: how hard is it to make a simple goddamn keyboard? Do this keyboard with big F keys and copy Logitech's wireless mouse, which was actually fantastic but is tied to that terrible keyboard. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 4:04:34 AM PST
Jon Kragh says:
Great review. I have been using this keyboard for programming since I read your post a year ago. The action is great, the F-Keys still suck. Has anyone found the same action as this 5000 but better sized F keys?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 9:02:09 PM PDT
Eric S. says:
I have the 6000V2 model keyboard which has full sized F-keys and Esc key. Unfortunately, it appears Microsoft isn't making this model anymore, but if you can pick one up used I highly recommend it! But, stay away from the 6000V3 model, it has shrunken F-keys and the mouse is whacked. Although, you can swap out the mouse so that isn't a total deal breaker. I have 3 of the 6000V2 models and 1 of the 6000V3 models. I really like these keyboards and I'm curious to try the 5000 series keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 5:10:57 AM PST
I work in a private library and have arthritis, and people working around me are complaining about the noise from my microsoft split keyboard (I love it!). Is this one more quiet (what would these folks have done in a newsroom 40 years ago?)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (854 customer reviews)

$69.99 $49.95