5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to your soul!, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Soul Eater: The Complete Series (DVD)
The DWMA (Death Weapon Meister Academy) is a school that trains weapons and meisters to fight together to defeat kishin. A weapon must consume 99 kishin souls and one witch's soul in order to become a Death Scythe, one of Lord Death's own weapons. The series follows three student pairs - Maka and her scythe Soul, Black Star and his ninja weapon Tsubaki, and Death the Kid, with twin pistols Liz and Patty. Each pair has their own little quirks and strengths. Soul places great emphasis on "coolness", Black Star is extremely narcissistic, and Kid is OCD and obsessed with "symmetry". When these students aren't out battling evil, they are dealing with problems at school - teachers raising from the dead, mad scientists trying to dissect them, and the surprisingly short quest to find the legendary sword Excalibur. Plus a whole lot more, but you don't want me to ruin it for you, do you?

The art and design for this series is of the hate it or love it style. It is very creative, a bit cartoonish, and occasionally freakish. The moon has eyes and a mouth and drips blood - that kind of thing. I felt that it set the tone of the series perfectly. The music is also surprisingly well done. Lots of anime I've seen have had good scores, but I mostly don't remember them once the show is over. I can't say that I'd go out and buy the soundtrack for this show, but it was memorable enough to stick in my mind. I was also very impressed with the English dub. I normally prefer to watch anime in Japanese (with subtitles) but when a dub is really good I watch it in English. The dub for Soul Eater was very well done and the voice actors for Kid and Crona were especially good.

When I first started this series I wasn't impressed. The first three episodes are used to introduce the three main teams (one episode each) and each episode emphasized their really annoying parts. Black Star's episode is second and it almost made me stop watching the series he was so annoying with his narcissism and "I'm a big man!" lines. But that is the most annoying he gets in the entire series, so if he drives you nuts too, just remember that he doesn't get any worse :)

The series does come to an end (rather then just stopping), but it is based on a manga series that is still running, so the ending is a little weak. Basically the writers cheat a bit to finish up the story. But if you look past the cheating, the ending was decent.

This series really grew on me. I grew to really like the characters, love the world, and eagerly await more of the story. I've watched lots of anime (over 300 series) and I occasionally despair for originality. But Soul Eater had originality in spades. It is one of my favorite shows released in the last few years. If you give it a try, make sure to watch at least 6 episodes before passing judgment (because episode 6 is really funny). Enjoy!

[Add comment]