2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept. Not practical., September 2, 2010
This review is from: 3M MPro150 Pocket Projector (Office Product)
While LED pocket projectors are a good concept,they still don't hit the mark.

The 3M MPro150 was a big disappointment for me. I bought this projector to use in my office to display documents and presentations during discussions, however even with all the lights extinguished (I have no external windows) performance was weak. The ambient light coming through my glass door window was enough to dim the output of the unit enough for it to be unreadable.

If we lived in a world without lights, this little gadget would probably rate higher, but we don't and it doesn't. With a maximum output of only 15 lumens, your viewing area has to be near dark in order to see the image with any clarity, even then the image seems to be spotted with out of focus area's. You notice this more when you try to project a document that has a lot of text (yes I did clean the lens). But this was not the worst feature for me. When the MPro150 is attached to the included tripod, it becomes back heavy and very unstable. This issue is magnified when you try to attach the video and power cables to the back. The thing just doesn't want to stand up....even with the legs splayed a good distance. I think that this issue could have been reduced if 3M would have made the tripod attachment in the middle or towards the back of the unit to counter the load of the attached cables. I will be trying another type of mini tripod to see if this problem can be eliminated.

On a positive note, the MPRO150 is a sleek and fashionable design and the unit comes with a multitude of goodies including; multi-country power adapter connectors, various audio connectors and a bag to protect the unit (which doesn't quite fit).

So, if you are a consumer looking for an LED alternative to a traditional lamp projector, this 15 lumen paperweight will not do it for you. I would wait until 3M has resolved the counter-balance problems and increased the lumens to over 50 or go with one of the bigger LED models that pack a more serious lumen output. The Optoma PK301 Pico Pocket Projector puts out 50 lumens for around $80 more in the same form factor as the 3M. I will be swapping mine for the PK301.

Great concept that falls short on practicality and performance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2010 7:11:00 PM PST
Hello,

I appreciate your review did you ever swap this model for the PK301 if so how do you like the 301 I'm on the verge of buying it myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 9:31:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 9:33:51 PM PST
Paul Seekins says:
I did swap this for the PK301 and it was well worth the extra $80. The PK301 is about 3 times the brightness and is much more stable when mounted on a tripod. There are some drawbacks though. Unless you purchase the external battery pack, the PK301 will only give you around 1hr of battery life, which is cutting it pretty close if you are using it to present. I use mine mainly for movies, so I leave the power hooked up. I have been using the regular VGA connection, but I just ordered an HDMI cable to test the HD capabilities. You have to fiddle with the focus a bit to get the right comfort setting, but the same goes for all these pocket projectors. I wish that they came with keystone correction, but I do not believe that this is available yet on these units.

Anyhow, I would highly recommend this projector. I have been very happy with the quality of the image and even projected it on the side of the house to create a 25' image! Very powerful LED circuitry under the right lighting conditions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (57 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $270.00